Thread: XP/Windows7 networking woes

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default XP/Windows7 networking woes

I have one machine running XP connected to a Billion 7401VGPR3 router to the 'net - works fine
    I have one machine running W7 connected to a Billion 7800NL router which is a slave of the 7401VGPR3 and connects to the 'net through that. - works fine.
    My lappy running W7 connects to either router wirelessly and to the 'net - fine.
    There are other computers/devices that connect via either router from time to time but are outside the scope of this problem.

File sharing between XP and W7 is problematic and, in the past, I have had my network humming nicely, sharing files back and forth. (The two fixed computers are media servers for their respective rooms.) I had to change the modems around in recent history and, since then, I cannot convince XP to see the other computers on the network or W7 to see the XP machine. I've checked most settings but need a fresh set of brains on the problem. Can someone please post a step by step setup for networking XP to W7 in case I have missed a simple step. (I am familiar with basic networking but am at an impasse as it used to work, but now it doesn't.) If I look at the ARP table in on the 7401 I can see everything on the network including the XP machine.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

im not network guru either but have had the same like problems
    some ideas:
    make sure system\advanced system settings\ the pc has a computer description, & in same workgroup as the others
    explorer\ tools\folder options\view\ see if simple file sharing(xp) & or file sharing wizard(7) is ticked
    make a shared folder on each pc (even though theres factory ones) & check sharing,advanced sharing, permissions (full admin\user)
    note the ip addy of each pc, even though they dont show in the network, try start\run\ \\(ip addy) eg: \\192.168.0.5 to see if it finds it
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

interesting

I have made the files available for sharing on the XP computer, but can't figure out how to access them from the new Windows 7 PC.

PC with desired files is running Windows XP
    PC to retrieve files is running Windows 7
    The XP PC is connected wirelessly through a Linksys router
    The W7 PC is connected to the same router via Ethernet cord

Cody C.
    Found this helpful 10
    Answer
    Cody C. replied on

Microsoft

Hi All!

This problem occurs if the Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder component is not installed on the Windows XP-based computer.

In order to establish the connection between the windows 7 machine and XP machine, try downloading and installing the Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) hotfix. Check the link mentioned below:

Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120)

If this doesn't help, can the computer ping each other?

To do this:

Get your computer name (Visit for help getting your computer name). In this example we'll be using Computer1 and Computer2as the computer names.
    On Computer1, Click Start, type cmd and press Enter
    In the black and white command box, type ping Computer2 and press Enter

You should get something similar to the following:

Pinging <###.###.###.###> with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from <###.###.###.###>: bytes=32 time=77ms TTL=28
    Reply from <###.###.###.###>: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=28
    Reply from <###.###.###.###>: bytes=32 time=78ms TTL=28
    Reply from <###.###.###.###>: bytes=32 time=79ms TTL=28

If you get Request Timed Out, there's a something blocking communication between the computers.

Try those steps out and let me know what works!
    Cody C
    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
    Instead of telling our young people to plan ahead, we should tell them to plan to be surprised.

J.DD
    Found this helpful 6
    Answer
    J.DD replied on

Easiest way, make both workgroups the same . windows key + pause under computer. Kill password sharing in windows 7. Right mouse on the LAN in Win7, open network / change advanced. Select turn off password sharing. Make sure turn network discovery and file sharing are on.

Create a folder in XP share it. Tick simple file sharing if its off (my computer / tools / folder options / view). . Create a folder in Win 7 right mouse / properties / sharing / share. Select everyone up the top, change the bottom to read/write. Saves you mucking around with passwords, or entering ips in to get into the other folder. To make things easier if you want to copy install files etc. Go to start/run in win7, type shell:sendto, right mouse / new shortcut. Go to the networked folder add it. Then it'll appear under the send to context menu. Do the same with XP, except type sendto under start/run. And do the same thing

If you dont have any other Win7 pc's kill homegroup. Computer, highlight homegroup / right mouse / change homegroup settings / leave homegroup

If any firewalls are installed on either (besides windows), configure them

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

Tiny (11-03-14)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions Phil. Couple of things:

To share files in W7, you must also set permissions under the security tab in folder properties.

I also thought that LLTD was integrated into SP3 for XP, anyway, the system was working prior to mucking around with the routers so I am thinking that it is a configuration issue with one/or both routers.

A ping tells me "destination host unreachable" as opposed to "request timed out".

I have two W7 machines on the homegroup which is called "MSHOME" and the XP machine is on the same group.

All firewalls are off, (for now).

I may just blow everything away and start again, but that will mean a day wasted, setting up three computers from scratch again.

Thanks

my win 7 homegroup is called workgroup, i think thats default, is on 7 ultimate anyway
    like you said, seems more a router or config problem, can you setup just on 1 router to test it?

LSemmens
    Thanks

tried that.

Thanks

a guess
    Last edited by Philquad; 12-03-14 at 11:45 AM.