Thread: Googles letter to Turnbull. Piracy in Australia.

Thanks

Default Googles letter to Turnbull. Piracy in Australia.

Well played Google. Be it for their own gain with Google TV it's a welcome voice of reason in the face of technophobic political boof head charged with ruling the country.

on proposed 3 strikes system. Because a big stick is always the best way to solve a problem.

if you're so inclined.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

I agree with Google ...... provide a Legal way to sell what may be being sold illegally .....

there may be dollars to be made by legal companies ..... as opposed to spending a lot of money policing the industry ......

Region Restricting verses globalization, needs some new Business models Developed, that will work into the future .......

The Internet has provided the means for a global village like we have never seen before, it would be a shame to over police it ..... rather than use it to its maximum potential ......
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 11-03-14 at 11:35 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

I suppose we at Austech are just as much to blame for encouraging piracy, with the number of threads on how to circumvent geographical blocks, get Netflix etc, it's no wonder they are looking to tighten this area. We have a policy that says in our rules "Austech has a zero tolerance for people engaging in commercial Pay TV piracy", but we seem to do the opposite for internet tv/movie piracy.Yes, I know it's mainly just tv and movies, and you pay a subscription anyhow, but it is still infringing copyright.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Thinking outside the box .....

I personally think there will emerge some Global players, over the years ahead such as Google, Apple Itunes, "Murdoch Empire", & maybe Netflix etc ....

who will shape things the way they want it to be ....... much the same as what Foxtel done to Austar (& Optus TV, & Galaxy TV before that etc ....)

and then they will argue for regional restrictions to be removed, in favor of global licensing ...... that will mean they can deliver a much cheaper product globally to everyone .....

In the meantime if they want to continue the way they are going .......

Why don't Foxtel become resellers of other world media from different countries ...... nothing changed just add say 10%

I for one would like to subscribe to London FTA channels & New York FTA channels, & other people may want Rome or Paris TV channels packages & others etc ..... from their homeland

Why not Foxtel sell their own Australian Pay TV channels, as well as re-sell SKY UK, SKY IT, DISH USA etc .... for people who want it ....?
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    I suppose we at Austech are just as much to blame for encouraging piracy, with the number of threads on how to circumvent geographical blocks, get Netflix etc, it's no wonder they are looking to tighten this area. We have a policy that says in our rules "Austech has a zero tolerance for people engaging in commercial Pay TV piracy", but we seem to do the opposite for internet tv/movie piracy.Yes, I know it's mainly just tv and movies, and you pay a subscription anyhow, but it is still infringing copyright.
    Is paying for a service that is perfectly legal in another country 'piracy'?.....not by my (and most others) definition.

From Getflix:"General Questions

Is this legal?

This is the most commonly asked question.
    Consumer group believes consumers who circumvent measures used to protect copyrighted content should be exempt from what could be construed as a breach of copyright simply because they’re accessing products and services that are being provided knowingly and willingly by the copyright holder.
    In addition, a spokesperson for Attorney-General Robert McClelland told The Australian "In relation to the use of VPNs by Australians to access services such as Hulu and Netflix, on the limited information provided there does not appear to be an infringement of copyright law in Australia." - see more .
    With that in mind, you will almost certainly be breaking the Netflix and/or Hulu Terms of Use, so your Netflix/Hulu account may be suspended or cancelled without warning."

Since when is breaking the terms of use 'piracy'? The only penalty would be withdrawl of service...hardly the penalty given by courts for piracy.
    Last edited by mandc; 13-03-14 at 07:48 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (13-03-14),viewer (13-03-14)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Re: Googles letter to Turnbull. Piracy in Australia.

You don't seem to know what piracy actually is. Paying for a geographically blocked legal service is not piracy. Don't take my word for it, the Australian Governments Attorney General's office says exactly the same. They also state it is not illegal and the only issue is a breach of the actual providers terms and conditions.

Why you are quoting forum descriptions, I have no idea. We have not tolerated any commercial piracy ever on Austech, nor do we have any desire or interest to spy on what people do in there spare time. Regardless, people don't need to run and hide their Netflix receiver for fear of "getting busted" when they arent breaking any laws.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

viewer (13-03-14)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Sorry mandc, somehow missed your reply which pretty much covered it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks

Ok, I apologise, I thought infringing copyright was the same as piracy.

So it's perfectly safe for me to go out and tout to the world that I can get something on internet tv before it is played out in Australia, as long as I pay a fee to that seller? I wrongly believed all the time. Sorry again...

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    ......Austech, nor do we have any desire or interest to spy on what people do in there spare time.
    What does the above quote mean or what is it pointed to?

Banned
    Thanks

And another link to a post here saying I got it wrong too

Banned
    Thanks

I was discussing the same thing with the wife yesterday, and I referred to it as global tv as well.

It would need a lot of tweaking to get around individual stations having first rights to everything etc, and I guess, a big impact on what fta stations could afford to buy in content.

I suppose, in reality, fta tv and radio is something we take for granted, and I wonder in our day,of user pays, will it disappear? If it did, then the globalisation scenario could really take off, and one would think, at pretty competitive prices?

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    Thinking outside the box .....

I personally think there will emerge some Global players, over the years ahead such as Google, Apple Itunes, "Murdoch Empire", & maybe Netflix etc ....

who will shape things the way they want it to be ....... much the same as what Foxtel done to Austar (& Optus TV, & Galaxy TV before that etc ....)

and then they will argue for regional restrictions to be removed, in favor of global licensing ...... that will mean they can deliver a much cheaper product globally to everyone .....

In the meantime if they want to continue the way they are going .......

Why don't Foxtel become resellers of other world media from different countries ...... nothing changed just add say 10%

I for one would like to subscribe to London FTA channels & New York FTA channels, & other people may want Rome or Paris TV channels packages & others etc ..... from their homeland

Why not Foxtel sell their own Australian Pay TV channels, as well as re-sell SKY UK, SKY IT, DISH USA etc .... for people who want it ....?

Banned
    Thanks

So, as far as I can see by looking through online stuff, is this....

Netflix, Hulu or whatever, based in say the USA, have the rights to broadcast that content in the USA, or environs only.

As far as I understand it, different broadcasters around the world also pay for the right to broadcast those same shows/movies/music digital media in their own countries, by paying a licence fee to the copyright owner.

Netflix, Hulu etc safeguard their systems by putting a geo lock on whom can receive these broadcasts in their native area.

People, say in Australia, circumvent this by using a proxy vpn or whatever, pay by credit card or whatever means, and simply sit back and watch.

The viewer can legally circumvent using a proxy vpn or whatever, as this is not considered an illegal practice yet.

Geoblock, is a method of Netflix to block ex licence area viewers, and is all that is required to do under existing USA law, and thus acceptable?

It makes me wonder why we don't hear more broadcasters crying foul and have the loophole fixed....same as P to P

To me it is similar to pay tv access.

A mob like Foxtel has the exclusive Australian rights to broadcast the EPL into Australia. Another pay tv platform has the same rights on their satellite footprint, but either/or footprint hits both countries. The sale of the satellite card is restricted in either country to prevent illegal access in the other country, and infringement of copyright. This is commonplace in Europe, with many satellite footprints hitting various areas. The FA/EPL though, continues to severly punish any person or company that defies these rules. Is this simply a case of the FA/EPL being stringent in the application of broadcast rights in correct zones, or as in the Netflix, Hulu scenario, simply a blatant turn up of their nose to copyright protection?

As far as I see it now, it does not look like anyone would chase the little man for getting away with what they can now, but a case of seeing what copyright owners may do in the future to more heavily secure their content to their licensed areas?

Have I got it right, or am I still wrong somewhere?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Have I got it right, or am I still wrong somewhere?
    It makes me wonder why we don't hear more broadcasters crying foul and have the loophole fixed....same as P to P
    You pretty much have it sorted.....not sure about the analogy to P to P though....that is file sharing of often copyrighted material...that's pretty much a no-no in legal terms although rarely acted upon whereas Netflix access is very different...you are paying to access content paid for by Netflix...the copyright owners are getting paid.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (13-03-14),viewer (13-03-14)

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks....

So really, is it more a case of deceit by the Australian user, in knowingly bypassing the geo block and subscribing to a service that should not be possible to obtain in Au, at present?

I know that the user here in Au is PAYING for the service, however, the actual licence holder in Au would not be receiving a $ return for the licencing fee they have paid for, irrespective of whenever they decide to show that content or not.

My opinion, and it's worth nothing, is that the end user in Au knows that this was not a service intended for them, and is hiding behind a back door, hoping not to be held accountable in any way for getting something that was never intended for them in the first instance. The Au user would be hoping that any future door being shut, by whatever authority, would not come back on them as well, for knowingly getting a service (whether paid for or not) that was never intended for their use.

To date, from articles read, others are not keen in locking this down yet, but the time may well come. When this does come, lets hope it is unlocked sensibly, and this form of global media dispersion can be done fairly, equally, and at a global price, rather than methods already in place to access that media now...over priced.

I hope it happens, as I can see that is what the end user really wants these days...open competition, access to all media at the same time as others, no global divisions.