Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combining Austar with FTA.

Thanks

Default Combining Austar with FTA.

Hi All,

I'm looking into combining my Austar and FTA into my existing RF network in the roof.

I have a standard antenna that runs into a splitter that feeds the rest of the tv points.

I want to insert the Austar signal into the system via the RF output on the back of the box, so that whatever is playing on the main satellite receiver in the lounge, can be seen simulateously on any tv connected the the RF network.

What does one have to do to combine pay tv into the sysytem for each room and what parts etc are needed. Diagrams would be helpful.

Thanks.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Anyone?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Check your pm, I just sent you a link

• The Following User Says Thank You to viewer For This Useful Post:

under- (22-03-14)

Thanks

Exactly my question too!
    I made provision in a new house build to put cables down a conduit to under the stairs - that's where my FTA signal is with splitter for the tv rooms & server. That would be the logical place to have the sat STB also if I can get a sat setup again.
    I've looked at the Triax tri-link in the UK (looks pretty good), and others have suggested the slingbox or vulkano (seem IP based solution, but then need a client).
    Love to hear some responses...

Good luck anyway!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

There are a few different methods to achieve this.... it all depends on what quality you are prepared to pay for.

The cheapest (and lowest picture quality) method is to modulate the AV output of the Austar (now Foxtel) decoder, amplify it and combine with the FTA signals via a splitter in reverse.

The Foxtel output channel is then tuned on an analogue channel on TV's in the house.

The best results are by using a digital modulator and combiner. This method gives you fully-digital signals converted to COFDM so they are tuned on a digital channel on TV's or set top boxes with the same picture & sound quality that you would get by connecting the Foxtel box directly to a TV via HDMI.

Naturally, with only a single Foxtel decoder, all TV's can only view the same Foxtel channel at the same time.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

under- (22-03-14)

Thanks

Thanks mtv. So the tri-link is the basic low quality method I assume?
    Could you suggest some locally available (as in sold in Aus) digital modulator and combiners please?
    Google says some have the remote IR feeds too, which would be ideal.
    One channel shared is fine - not worth investing in another room yet.

Thanks

Ok. So I have gone ahead and used a 2-way splitter in reverse. Everything is up and running.

1. Garage TV - The picture is as good as running the RF out straight into the tv (The way I had it connected through the wall originally). This tv is the closest (<8m cabling) to the splitter, and running new RG6 Quad and fittings.

2. Kitchen - Slightly grainy with fine lines (It's like it isn't tuned properly). This tv is the furthest (15m+) from the splitter and is running on pre existing cable and fittings.

All FTA on garage and kitchen TVs are perfect. I'm happy with the garage austar quality (as RF out isn't perfect). The kitchen needs some tweaking. Is it the old cable? Fittings? The distance? Maybe I need to amplify? Or try tuning in on another channel?

Suggestions. Thanks all.

Administrator
    Thanks

A typical RF modulator, either in a decoder/VCR etc, or an external one, typically only has sufficient output level for one TV, or maybe a couple over short distances with a splitter.

Most of these types of modulators are wideband and have no filtering.

Using a splitter in reverse has an insertion loss, plus cable and splitter loss will probably result in the signal being weak by the time it reaches the distant TV.

If the cabling is old and not well-shielded, in addition to the signal loss, it may also be allowing interference in.

You need to be able to measure the signals to determine the cause and cure, but it's likely an in-line amp to the furthest TV will help.

Thanks

Info appreciated. I checked my garage tv again and now have noted interference. Herringbone and crosshatch type interference. Funny thing is, it was crystal last night. Could it be the masthead amp and injector? I will draw a diagram of my connection in the roof.

Administrator
    Thanks

What frequency is your modulator on?

Are there any other modulated or RF signals nearby.. eg: baby monitor, wireless cameras etc?

Herringbone/crosshatch is common with strong FM broadcast signals, or can also be adjacent channel interference.

Thanks

I have set it to channel 32 - 555.25mhz. Yes we do have a baby monitor, wifi (wireless n). Not sure of if there's anything else.

Thanks

I changed the modulator to channel 69. There was no signs of interference, but the clarity/sharpness decreased. So I then changed it to channel 21. It's back to what it was in the garage last night. Pretty clean, no herringbone etc.

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by under- View Post
    The diagram shows an injector, but where's the amplifier?

Is the amp together with the injector? If yes, you are amplifying only the antenna signals.

Where are you located?

What frequencies are your FTA TV channels on?

The two splitters are causing a very large attenuation of the Foxtel modulated signal, so you either need an amp on the RF output of the Foxtel box, before the reversed splitter... or... if the FTA signal levels are similar to the Foxtel RF signal levels, move the existing amp to between the reversed splitter and the 4-way splitter.

The latter method will boost the FTA antenna signals as well.

To balance the levels correctly, you need to be able to accurately measure them, remembering that the FTA antenna signals are digital and the modulated RF output from the Foxtel box is analogue, so BER/MER is critical for the digital signals.

Thanks

The amplifier is attached to the antenna - masthead amp. That's the only reason for an injector in the first place, to power the amp. My assumption anyways! Am I correct?

Location - Wollongong NSW. Most of the channels are in 30s - 50s.

There is no other amp in the system, only what the injector is powering.

Current sat signal figures -

LVL - 100
    CNR - 136
    BER - 51
    CH - 501 - fox sports

My incoming FTA signal quality and strength is showing max according to the Panasonic viera.

To add Im unsure how to test the levels of each. And have no tools to do so.

Mate I really appreciate the help here. Your a Legend.

• The Following User Says Thank You to under- For This Useful Post:

mtv (22-03-14)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Well done for helping mtv.
    Well done under- for recognising good help.

• The Following User Says Thank You to viewer For This Useful Post:

mtv (22-03-14)

Thanks

Exactly. Appreciate it guys. That's what this places about.

Administrator
    Thanks

OK... masthead amp... yes, that's what the injector is for, to provide power to the amp... just needed to establish where the amp was, as you can have different types of amps in different places within distribution systems powered by an injector.

The signal readings I was asking about refer to the FTA signals, but a % reading after an amp is usually misleading.

What I can tell you for certain though, is that your FTA signals will likely be much higher than the output of the Foxtel modulator.

You will need to amplify your Foxtel RF output by up to 20dB.... as I said, that amp needs to go between the output of the Foxtel box and the reversed splitter.... closer to the Foxtel box is the best location.

I also suspect your FTA masthead amp output may be set to high, causing the interference to the much lower level Foxtel RF signal.

If it's adjustable, try turning the masthead level down.

Also, select an output channel of the Foxtel box that is at least 4 channels away from any of your FTA channels... the actual RF frequency of those channels, not the channel it displays on your TV tuner.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

under- (22-03-14)

Thanks

MTV. Everything said there is attainable. I will check out the antenna and amp tomorrow. Everybody loves to fiddle, me being the biggest culprit.

In regards to amplifying my foxtel output, what do you suggest?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by under- View Post
    ... In regards to amplifying my Foxtel output, what do you suggest?
    Without accurate signal readings, it's difficult to determine what level of amplification is required.

Personally, I would probably use a Kingray MDA20U and adding attenuators if the level is too high.

Once again, balancing signal levels and quality is very tricky without instrumentation to guide you.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast