Thread: Problem reading online newspapers

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Default Problem reading online newspapers

This has been happening for as long as I can remember, but I am finally going to ask why!

When I browse newspapers, and want to read the full story, I click the photo or printed text, and the browser ( FF 28.0 Win 7 Home 32 bit) tries to locate the article. In 5/10 goes it will bring up the page, but in the other 5, the same page stays on the screen, the pointer shows a blue loading circle, and nothing happens.

I am then forced to hit the back button on the browser, refresh the page again, and then re click the link/photo etc to drill down to the page. 9/10 times it will then work, but on some occasions I have to keep refreshing over and over again for it to work.

I mainly browse the SMH, News.com, Daily Mail pages...they all display that same behaviour. Other newspaper sites and other browsing does not have a problem.

I clean my cache, history and cookies in a regular manner, and generally let most updates through via automatic settings.

Is there something I should try to do to attempt to fix the problem, other than trying a different browser, or is this common for other users to experience as well?

Thanks...

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Most of the problems appear to be scripts running for all the crap ads on the pages.

I used to have the same problem with IE.

I changed browser to Google Chrome... all good.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

viewer (22-03-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    Is there something I should try to do to attempt to fix the problem, other than trying a different browser, or is this common for other users to experience as well?
    I've been suffering the same problem for ages so you're not alone. Usually when I click on the link or picture for the new page, the address of the new page comes up in the address bar but the browser (Firefox in my case) doesn't load it or takes forever to load it. My solution (such as it is) is to put the mouse cursor in the address bar and press "enter". That usually gets things moving but not always.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Coldamus For This Useful Post:

viewer (22-03-14)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Re: Problem reading online newspapers

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Most of the problems appear to be scripts running for all the crap ads on the pages.

I used to have the same problem with IE.

I changed browser to Google Chrome... all good.
    I also generally don't have any problems with chrome on news sites.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

viewer (22-03-14)

Premium Member

Thanks

Most newspaper sites are subscription based now, some let you view them a number of times and then block you from reading the full article. SMH is one of them.

To get around it I use chrome and select the tools menu and choose "new incognito window", then proceed to the web address. It works for SMH every time.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warbo For This Useful Post:

jimbo123 (22-03-14),ol' boy (22-03-14)

Banned
    Thanks

These are the one's I use...No need to do anything ever...just read

This one needs cookies cleared when limit used up

however, if you just want to read the main headline stuff of the herald, use this one, no limits

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    This has been happening for as long as I can remember, but I am finally going to ask why!

When I browse newspapers, and want to read the full story, I click the photo or printed text, and the browser ( FF 28.0 Win 7 Home 32 bit) tries to locate the article. In 5/10 goes it will bring up the page, but in the other 5, the same page stays on the screen, the pointer shows a blue loading circle, and nothing happens.

I am then forced to hit the back button on the browser, refresh the page again, and then re click the link/photo etc to drill down to the page. 9/10 times it will then work, but on some occasions I have to keep refreshing over and over again for it to work.

I mainly browse the SMH, News.com, Daily Mail pages...they all display that same behaviour. Other newspaper sites and other browsing does not have a problem.

I clean my cache, history and cookies in a regular manner, and generally let most updates through via automatic settings.

Thanks...

Already have read ?

• The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

viewer (22-03-14)

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks jwoegerbauer, a lot of info there, but this ONLY happens on newspaper sites, no others.