Thread: Fisher & Paykel Washing machine DEAD

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Fisher & Paykel Washing machine DEAD

My wife went to use the machine this morning and it is DEAD!!
    Totally, irrevocately like the Parrot in the Monty Python skit, D E A D.
    No lights, beeps, clicks at all, changed the power plug over to another one know working but no joy.

When the previous one this replaced failed, it at least blinked and beeped in the 'Fault Code' giving some idea as to the problem but this time there is nothing.
    While I was chasing up the model number I pulled it out from the wall and I noticed the top left corner facing the machine was quite warm which I dont think it should be.

I spent over an hour trying to find out if there was a Service agency around here and if it was still under warranty which it is isnt as we bought it 4 years ago.

Ringing the F & P HELP line in NZ was interesting as firstly my post code wasnt listed in their system but when they eventually sorted my location out, it seems there are 2 possibles and one maybe repairer available, the 2 'possibles' are both over a 100 kms away in either direction so that will incur travel costs and the 'Maybe' is 10 ks away but he said 'May need the Manual' to repair it if it can be.
    I am not sure if the Travel costs include labour to find the fault at least or is that over and above Fault Finding, plus parts and the labour to remove and instal.

Seeing its not under warranty I am tempted to try and remove the top cover if I can to see where the 'Hot Spot' was without doing any damage to anything else there.
    Obviously this would be done with the Mains cord disconnected as electricity and water are not good combinations and in a washing machine/laundry situation, bloody deadly.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

what model & what colour motor control module does it have?
    woteva

• The Following User Says Thank You to omega99 For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (26-03-14)

Premium Member

Thanks

model I can tell you but not the rest.

the machine is an 7.5kg EXCELLENCE model WA75T65GW1 bought in APRIL 2010, roughly a week short of 4 Years ago.

where is the motor control module located, under the top cover with the controls or in the body of the machine?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 26-03-14 at 09:52 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

In the F&P machines I've seen, the module is under the top cover where the display and push button controls are located.

I've located a parts manual at .

It has exploded views of the inside of the unit so should be a good starting point for you.

There might be other information on the WWW - do a Google.
    Last edited by tristen; 26-03-14 at 09:16 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (26-03-14),Tiny (28-03-14)

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks for the link, tristen,
    Found the Control Module (item 11) and penny to a peanut after being partially submerged in water, I am guessing its stuffed and being the 'Brains' of the machine it wont be a cheap item to replace either.
    Seeing there is no one local I would have to order it and wait several days for its arrival while taking the risk that is the problem and replacing the module will make it work.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

They are on eBay.

You can do all your other checks first, before ordering a replacement module.
    Once you install a new module, you then need to size it (tell it what size machine its installed in)

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (27-03-14)

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks for the link oceanboy, my biggest concern is how did the water get into the area in the first place and partially immerse the Control module and because of the water, did it do any other damage to the touch pads etc as the last thing you need is to instal a replacement and have it zapped because of another unforseen fault.

I have no equipment or knowledge of how to test the machine so we decided to get a new machine but this time with the extended warranty as repairers, even for warranty claims are fewer and further away so finding one for Non warranty repairs means your minimum call out fee can be high apart from what ever parts costs and labour to replace them are.
    Also there is the Time Factor, depending on the repairers workload, weekends etc, it could take up to 5 days before any one could call or I would have to load it onto the trailer and take it to the repairer I was told of and that could be 120kms away.
    I am not going to junk the machine just yet hoping I can find a way to check it out and see if it can be revived.

Thanks for every ones help.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    ...my biggest concern is how did the water get into the area in the first place and partially immerse the Control module and because of the water, did it do any other damage to the touch pads etc as the last thing you need is to instal a replacement and have it zapped because of another unforseen fault...
    There could also be signs of overheating/burning to components on the control module.

Are there visible signs that water got into the area?

Any signs of discoloration, or at worst, corrosion will indicate whether water has caused damage to keypads etc.

The same would usually apply to the module and any other circuitry likely to have suffered water damage.

If you don't know what to look for perhaps there is someone nearby with electronics experience, who would be prepared to quickly cast an eye over it for signs of obvious damage.
    Last edited by tristen; 27-03-14 at 10:16 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Tristen, at the moment the module is still in place as I havent yet worked how its 'clipped in' and I dont want to force anything, the same applies to the 'Touch Pad'.
    Because of the time frame, I just havent been able to really check where the water might have entered but so far it has me stumped.
    The Top cover sits in a groove with a round gasket in it on the top and both sides then clips on the bottom (front) to locate it.
    For water to enter from the front, it would have to run 3/4 inch Uphill to pass over the lip in front of the module cavity.
    The groove and the gasket appear to be moulded in such a way that when the cover is in place, it is able to prevent any water ingress, even from a high pressure source.
    The only thing I can see is the Hot/Cold water inlet valves that are under the cover, we NEVER use Hot water so that wont have caused any damage to the valve but the 2 are interconnected and both the H&C must be connected to a Tap or a 'Blank' put into the unused connection or water simply passes though but even then, that water would just pour down the back of the cabinet as there are no holes or vents to allow it to get under the cover.

Thanks again everyone.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

tristen (28-03-14)