Thread: Buffered streaming.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Buffered streaming.

At times this computer seems to go off into a place all of its own when I try to use Youtube and other video sites.
    I have a wireless modem running through a netcomm router and Wifi to the computer.
    Now I know no 2 sites, videos etc run at the same speed, they may be busy as may be my connection or a dozen other things but this at times is pathetic most of the time.
    What annoys me even more are the bloody animated ads that seem to load and run without delay, what I want takes forever !!

Based on my very limited knowledge and ability, are there any tests I can run or get run by someone who knows what they are doing to ensure the computer at least is processing the data to the best of its capability.
    Whatever tests there are needs to be RUN onsite to check each link of the chain, computer, router and modem, beyond that is beyond my control.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Gordon,

I think you've answered your own questions.

The problem is usually the provider's server and the content.

Pop-ups, scripts and all the other crap running on web pages dramatically slows performance on what you want to actually see.

Some browsers cope with this better than others too.

I have found Google Chrome to handle this the best so far, but we are all at the mercy of the web server...... eg: the slowest link in the chain.

Thanks

You need to check the bandwidth available on your connection, you can find that out by combining information from one of the speed test sites, downloading from local sites that should have good bandwidth, like your ISP's ftp, or usenet if available.

You then need to calculate how much bandwidth you need to stream the video, at the quality setting you are using, and compare that with the speeds your connection is capable of. If the connection is actually capable of streaming the video, with out buffering, then you need to run tracert's to see if there are any slowdowns or packet loss along the path to where you are streaming the video from.

Edit: spelling
    Last edited by Dave001; 30-03-14 at 05:26 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Found one reason why it was sort of slow just after I posted the thread, the modem shut down !!!

As I was poking about up popped a message that there was no connection with the server and when I looked at the Modem, one of the 2 'Blue' Lights (Telstra Liberty) was blinking which means it wasnt connected to the internet !!!

Mostly a clear sunny afternoon with no storms in the vicinity so why it shut down is any ones guess.
    This happens every now and again, mostly for no visible cause.

Rebooted and reconnected but its still the same, sit and buffer, sit and buffer.............

With only one tower that I know of in the immediate area and that I can access, I feel at times it is overloaded by what Day it is and the time of Day it is when it really gets slow and if that is the case, theirs not much I can do about that.

Dave001, I wish I knew how to do as you suggest but bcause of my lack of knowledge in this area, I am lost.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Dave001, I wish I knew how to do as you suggest but bcause of my lack of knowledge in this area, I am lost.
    Run a few speed test using this site:

I'm guessing you're with Telstra, if so try downloading a couple of files from:

Keep an eye on the download speed, you can cancel the file once it tops out, that site is on Telstras unmetered list, so shouldn't count towards your quota.

Post the results, and post a link to one of the videos you are having issues with, and the quality you're trying to view it at.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

does depend a lot on video quality
    a hd youtube video will stream worse if your net connection cant keep up
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Install

Youtube Music Player:
    Simple program to play your favourite music from youtube with out having to manually visit it.

YouTube Video Viewer:
    Plays the videos directly from your screen.

Both softwares do NOT use browser! But of course they are stressing CPU and RAM...

Premium Member

Thanks

Well, what a difference 24 hours makes !!!

This morning I went online after 10am and you would not believe the difference in the download speed compared to yesterday.
    I wont say it was perfect but several programs that simply sat and buffered yesterday ran like I was playing a DVD.
    Being a Monday one conclusion is the system is freer today than yesterday because most have gone off to work but theres another possibility that the intense storm cell that hit from the Western Suburbs of Sydney to Katoomba may have taken some areas out freeing up the circuits for me.
    I base that thought on a friend who lives at Valley Heights told me this afternoon that his Internet (Optus) is absolutely woeful with his connection (Wireless) showing a varying signal from 1 to 2 bars that keeps dropping out his connection, where he normally has solid 3 bars.
    I have genuinely not seen mine load like this no matter what day of the week it is or what time so does anyone have an incantation I can use to call on the Storm Gods so I can go play online???