Thread: Why do the commercial networks sync up ad breaks?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 578 Posts

Default Why do the commercial networks sync up ad breaks?

You know what I'm talking about... you're watching some show and as soon as an ad comes on you reach for the remote and start channel surfing, but all the other commercial networks are on an ad break at the same time.

This can't be a coincidence as it happens time after time, so I can only conclude that there must be some type of agreement in place to make this happen?

If I was running one of the networks I'd make sure that my channels had regular programming showing while the other networks were on ad break, surely this would give me half a chance of retaining viewers on my channel and therefore gaining me ratings points?

Andrew
    Last edited by Bigfella237; 08-04-14 at 12:57 AM.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I have noticed the same with foxtel lately.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

Programs are produced with specific breaks in them to allow the maximum permitted commercial content to be inserted.

The timing is generic, so generally speaking, regardless of network the program is played on, the timing will be the same.

As most produced programs have the same timing, the breaks will 'coincide' with other networks which have programs commencing playing at the same time.

With programs not produced with specific breaks, networks still want to include the maximum permitted commercial content, so they 'force' breaks at similar times to those those programs which have breaks 'scheduled' as part of the production.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Your forgetting one extremely important factor when you said 'Commercial' and that is to run advertising to make money !!!
    Its just coincidental that other material is inserted between the main features which is advertising.

Also by doing it this way either the program makers or the channel inserts 'markers' into the program so that the equipment picks it up and runs the advertising without any intervention by an operator.

During an Upgrade years ago, a TV channel showed a large multi cassette machine into which they 'loaded' all the days prerecorded programs including advertising and all it needed was one of the technicians to supervise its operation otherwise it was totally 'Hands Free' operation.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!