Thread: VOIP on Naked ADSL

Thanks

Default VOIP on Naked ADSL

Hi

I am currently with Adam internet and want to change to their naked ADSL2 plan. I need to get an Analogue Telephone Adapter and was just wondering if anyone knows if any adapter will do?

I am on a budget so i was looking at just getting this one:

I currently have the Netcomm NB6 Wireless modem and a cordless phone, so all i would need to do is then plug the adapter into router LAN port and plug telephone into adapter? Is that correct?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Any ATA will do the job for you for as long as it supports SIP protocol.
    The one you intend to buy is fine and if you are configure it right will give you VOIP experience matching the standard telephone.
    Yes, just connect your ATA to the router LAN port and cordless phone base to ATA and enjoy the show.

Thanks

There are plenty of better deals around than that one. Do you need a specific voip provider, i.e. definitely need an unlocked device?

If not consider this deal from MyNetFone, we use it and it is excellent.

Thanks

Hmmm i might definitely consider that offer. Definitely cheaper than forking out $150 and 2 weeks plus without internet to change to a Naked ADSL plan... Now just need to see if Telstra will change line rental to the home budget plan for $19.95 a month. From what i have read briefly around the net they are not allowing people to change unless they have a broadband service with them...

Thanks

Just be aware thy do lock there ata,s to there service so you cant just go to a different provider its a lot better to buy an unlocked one then you can try different services and there is alot of free ones to try

Thanks

For $19.95 i dont mind giving them ago, if i have problems then i will consider spending the extra bit of money purchasing an unlocked one...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by REG View Post
    Just be aware thy do lock there ata,s to there service so you cant just go to a different provider its a lot better to buy an unlocked one then you can try different services and there is alot of free ones to try
    Yes the ATA is locked BUT it is effectively free as they provide you with $20 of call credit for the $19.95 plus it is delivered free next day and calls are only 10c national untimed. I have tried around 5 different providers so far over the last 2 years and MyNetFone is by far the best.

In addition under the Whirlpool Saver Plan you get a free DID in whatever city or town you like (from a list of available areas - quite extensive). Therefore if you have ADSL already with your local number you can nominate an area where your friends or relatives are located and they can call you for the cost of a local call. You select the number from a list of about 10 in an area and you can change it to a new one when ever you like through the MNF portal. Great service feature.

They also have 'follow me' which means that you can forward your calls to another phone when you are not at that location.

Give it a go and see what you think. Their service techs are excellent but you shouldn't need them as the devices are basically plug and play.

Thanks

If you have an option to go on naked account and not too fuss about loosing your PSTN line, then I don't understand why bother with other VOIP providers. I am not sure what voip arrangement your ISP has, as I am being with iiNet naked account don't pay anything for any local or national calls at all. The voip is virtually free for me except initial naked plan setup fees.

Thanks

To be honest Fromaron after doing some research it doesnt work out too much of a price different with going to a Naked plan with my service provider and using a VOIP provider.

I am with Adam Internet and to change to naked it will cost $150 to transfer to their naked plans, then it will cost an added $14.95 per month more than what i am paying now, you do get $5 worth of free calls a month, its 12c untimed local and national call and 22c per min to mobile. And also there is a 2-4 week period of no internet while they change over to naked. Also I would need to buy an ATA on top as Adam dont provide this for existing customers.

Going on MNF Voip plans is going to cost $19.95 upfront with $20 free credit to begin with, $19.95 line rental with Telstra, $10c untimed local and national call and 15c per min to mobile phones. No internet downtime for any period of time.

So if you add the different at the end of the day there would be on a few $$ difference on a month by month basis and yeah Naked would be cheaper but the upfront costs certainly arent. :S
    Last edited by astrogal; 28-07-08 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by REG View Post

Don't be to concerned about LOCKED devices, they can be UNLOCKED..
    Pm me for instructions

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by astrogal View Post
    To be honest Fromaron after doing some research it doesnt work out too much of a price different with going to a Naked plan with my service provider and using a VOIP provider.

I am with Adam Internet and to change to naked it will cost $150 to transfer to their naked plans, then it will cost an added $14.95 per month more than what i am paying now, you do get $5 worth of free calls a month, its 12c untimed local and national call and 22c per min to mobile. And also there is a 2-4 week period of no internet while they change over to naked. Also I would need to buy an ATA on top as Adam dont provide this for existing customers.
    Going on MNF Voip plans is going to cost $19.95 upfront with $20 free credit to begin with, $19.95 line rental with Telstra, $10c untimed local and national call and 15c per min to mobile phones. No internet downtime for any period of time.
    So if you add the different at the end of the day there would be on a few $$ difference on a month by month basis and yeah Naked would be cheaper but the upfront costs certainly arent. :S
    I can do UNTIMED/UNLIMITED LOCAL AND STD calls for $14.95 p/m + calls to mobiles @ 27c p/min, we also use the best sip provider in this country, their infrastructure is superior to any other sip provider here also.

pm me for instructions on how to apply - very easy through our website..

cheers

Thanks

get a billion 7404 for naked adsl
    they reakon there the best for adsl2+ speeds
    and the voip functions are very good
    also you have a pstn passthru if you ever get a real line again
    i use penny tel
    8C untimed the aus and 70 countries
    10.5 min to mobiles
    if ya pay 5 a month you get the mobiles capped at 38 cents per call

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by martymoose View Post
    get a billion 7404 for naked adsl
    they reakon there the best for adsl2+ speeds
    and the voip functions are very good
    also you have a pstn passthru if you ever get a real line again
    i use penny tel
    8C untimed the aus and 70 countries
    10.5 min to mobiles
    if ya pay 5 a month you get the mobiles capped at 38 cents per call
    There is a Billion 7404 clone available it's called an Open Networks 824RLW, it's a 7404 VGPA in a different case and with Open Networks firmware and it retails for about $110.00 compaired to about $190.00 for the Billion. There is a 3 and 4 port version the 4 port is the 7404 and the 3 port 7402. Be aware that there is a firmware issue with the Billion and Open Networks VoIP routers when using the G729 codec, they are working on a fix but at the moment it's better to use the G711a codec as there are no issues with this codec.

I use an 824RLW with pennytel and get very good quality calls.

Oberg.

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by manicretep View Post
    I can do UNTIMED/UNLIMITED LOCAL AND STD calls for $14.95 p/m + calls to mobiles @ 27c p/min, we also use the best sip provider in this country, their infrastructure is superior to any other sip provider here also.

pm me for instructions on how to apply - very easy through our website..

cheers
    anymore detials?
    im paying the same price for engin...
    can you offere anything better than their deal?

Thanks

I have setup a few family members on the following
    Gotalk Aussie pack
    Here's what you get - up to:
    300 local calls per month
    300 national calls per month
    100 calls to Australian mobiles, or 500 mobile minutes per month

Phone bills (calls) went from over $300 to just over $20, I am loved!
    What happens if I press alt + F4?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by urban_s0ulja View Post
    anymore detials?
    im paying the same price for engin...
    can you offere anything better than their deal?
    Pennytel no monthly fee, 8c local and national calls, 10.5c per min to mobiles.

Oberg.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Urban , I would presume he is using Engin's network.

Astrogal , there are some Engin offers that might interest you. I have used them for a few years and have never had an issue with their network.