Thread: A/C compressor oil type?

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Default A/C compressor oil type?

I am hoping someone here does car A/C and can offer some advices on oil types.

I’ve just had the pleasure of having the clutch bearing on my air conditioner compressor self destruct. It’s a major effort to get to the compressor on my car and its drive belt also drives the alternator so I bit the bullet and bought a new clutch / pulley assembly but found the front housing of the compressor itself was chewed up. I was lucky and found a good unit at the wreckers so I now have a good unit. Luckily the damage was external to a system so it was no contaminated with crap.

Anyway I plan on re charging the unit with R12 as I have a large bottle of it and this is what the car has run prior. I’ve drained out the oil from the compressor before fitting it and plan to replace the receiver dryer.

My question is what is the best oil to use to refill the compressor I know the modern non mineral oils will work with R12 but there are a few different type or at least names.

I got 5 litres of mineral oil some place in a well sealed container which I could use (if I can find it) but that will create a problem if the system is latter charged with R134 etc so I thought it better to use one of the new oils.

On the other hand I am not sure of compatibility issues of with the new oils with any residual mineral oil there may be in the lines or condenser and evaporator. I’ve heard horror stories of mineral and PAG oil forming thick chocolate foam in the system I would really like to avoid that.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I have used this
    with R12 and R134a. No problems after 10 years.

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Thanks for that just what I wanted.
    Features:

3. Suitable for use with all types of refr1gerants

4. Compatible with all other lubricants

I think the R12 I have will see this car out while I have it and provide the best performance. I found this company who sell a drop in replacement that does not require a CFC license to buy.

The stuff I have now was bought prior to the law changes for around $2.65 a kilo from memory which was a loooong time ago.

Thanks

ROC oil is great drop in oil see repco or any a/c dealers

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

hychill works very well in all systems and is basically a modified propane/isobutane mix.....