Thread: Victoria, Power Tarrifs and how to work out whats best for you

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Victoria, Power Tarrifs and how to work out whats best for you

I thought I would make a thread on this so people can see what my scenario was before during and after

At the moment :

Currently with Origin Energy on their "standing offer" which is 27.01 cents per kWh anytime. I am ####ed if I know what my supply charge is...its not stated on my bill and I cant find it on their website. I am guessing 110.00 cents per day.

As most would probably have seen from my other thread, I have recently had an 8kw solar system installed. My distribution company, United Energy, recently found someone smart enough to remotely press a button to allow the meter to record exports.

Previously, I have been spending up to $1000 a quarter on power. My aim is to get my electricity bill to zero. Solar cost me 12k, thats 3 years worth of electricity bills.

I am at the moment looking for the best deal to suit.......as I have a smart meter I can take advantage of TOU (Time Of Use) metering and change to a plan where I am paying a low amount for off peak power. Due to solar , most of my use is Off Peak but I also still have the Peak period of when the sun goes down till 11 PM where I will still paying peak.

The standard FIT (Feed In Tariff) in Victoria for Solar is 8 cents per kWh. There are a small number of retailers offering 10 cents a kWh, but I have to look at their other rates and how much their daily supply charge is.

After todays search, I *think that these will be the cheapest. There are many retailers offering large discounts such as 20% off your end bill, but I think I will just stick to looking at actual rates.

Powershop has Peak 25.62, Off Peak 11.74 and Daily Supply Charge of 82.79 cents. I have heard they also pay 10 cents FIT. If this is correct, it should give my bill a good shake up.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Double Post
    Last edited by mutanti; 13-04-14 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks

Here is Mine . Just switched
    Red Energy...
    Last edited by mutanti; 13-04-14 at 09:29 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mutanti For This Useful Post:

admin (14-04-14)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

A lady from Cerberus a friend reports got a 3000KW panel installed recently and she pays something like 28c/KW to her provider and gets 8 cents back for each KW she generates so it's impossible for her to get a zero bill i think.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pheggie View Post
    A lady from Cerberus a friend reports got a 3000KW panel installed recently and she pays something like 28c/KW to her provider and gets 8 cents back for each KW she generates so it's impossible for her to get a zero bill i think.
    She wouldnt be able to get a zero bill with a 3kw system. Its only due to the size of mine that I can try and that will be over a full year period.

Why does she pay money to her provider ??

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Note in the Herald Sun, Melb page 7 they state "unlike other states which have abolished a regulated minimum feed-in tariff, this arrangement ($0.08) provides a fair return for the power generated, continues to give house holders incentive to go solar" Vic Energy Minister Russel Northe
    My question is have other states stop giving feed-in tariffs?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Administrator
    Thanks

Not that I know of allover.

I have a section in my power providers online energy login that allows me to compare retailers. In Vic, there is a set provider for your area and a choice of retailers.

I have entered the details of my new plan (I have gone with Powershop) and based on the last 12 months, I would have saved $763. Not bad at all.

Basically I will have 8 hours a day in which I generate power and dont buy any, 9 hours at off peak rate of 11.74 kWh and maybe 7-8 at peak rate of 25.62 kWh. I have a generation average of 30 kwh's a day with this 8kw system.

At the moment due to the season :

9am to 5pm - I have no power consumption use and am using what I generate.
    5pm to 11pm - I am buying power at peak rates - around 8 kwh's at around $2
    11pm to 8-9am - I am buying power at off peak rates - around 3 kwh's at around 33 cents

So I have daily power use at lets say at most $2.50. I generate on average 30kWh's a day and get paid 10 cents per kwh, so $3.00 credit there. So I am 50 cents in front.

However I also have a supply charge of 82 cents a day, so its costing me roughly 30 cents a day.

If I produce more than the yearly average ( an extra 3 kWh's a day ) my bill will be zero. My Jinko panels are rated to be exactly as stated or up to 3% over, so I should manage my zero bill goal

Hope that helps someone out there

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

allover (25-04-14)

Administrator
    Thanks

I switched over to Powershop and am waiting for it to go through (they have to wait 10 days cooling off before submitting it).

Today I got a call from my current supplier Origin asking me to confirm that I wanted to go to Powershop. They then told me if I stayed, they would better their prices and offered me a whopping 26% off my power bill if I stayed with them.

As they have been happy to take my money in the past and not offer the disscount it I said no thanks.

I would encourage anyone who can change companies does so to see what they get offered to stay. There are obviously some big savings.

Administrator
    Thanks

Finally left Origin. They farked up my final bill.....what a mess, they only credited me for 300 odd kWhs. Funny thing is they credited them to me @66 cents for some reason so I wont bother chasing up getting the bill fixed