Thread: Multiple analog phones & VOIP ATA

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default Multiple analog phones & VOIP ATA

Can you parallel analog phones up when using VOIP technology in the same way that you do with ´land-lines´ ?

For instance, if you have 3 or 4 outlets around the home and decide to move to VOIP. Is it a matter of just bringing over one the ´phone-circuit´ to the ATA and all is done ? or are there other things that need to be considered ?

Jim.....

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I believe this is okay to do. I actually 'borrowed' one of the spare cables in our house and have a circuit connected to the ATA (Voip) port on one end and then the other is connected to a wireless phone system in another part of the building. I just had to be certain to connect the right coloured wires to the same 'pins' in each case. It works well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123 View Post
    Can you parallel analog phones up when using VOIP technology in the same way that you do with ´land-lines´ ?
    You can do it, no problems there.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys,.. another step closer to converting over to VOIP.

Thanks

Please note that, according to the rep from MyNetFone on Whirlpool Forum, there is a limitation of around 3 phones from any ATA port. Just thought I should mention this as you may have more and run into a problem.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
    Please note that, according to the rep from MyNetFone on Whirlpool Forum, there is a limitation of around 3 phones from any ATA port. Just thought I should mention this as you may have more and run into a problem.
    Thanks for that info,.... if this is the case is there any method of using more than 3 ? I'm likely to have 4 maybe 5 ?

I'll throw the following questions out there while I go looking for the info/answers,..

Do you just use multiple ATAs? Can ATAs be combined/attached to the same line ?

Jim.....

Thanks

Thanks for that info,.... if this is the case is there any method of using more than 3 ? I'm likely to have 4 maybe 5 ?
    jimbo123, this rep from MynetFone lives in a past . He should have mentioned that old phones which were equiped with electromechanical bells consumed a lot of power, that's why we had 3 phones limitation. If you check your phone's spec you should be able to find a REN value for it. Then combine all your phones around the house and the value shouldn't exceed REN=3. New phones with electronic bells don't need much power to be energised. So if you have 4 or 5 phones (not old style) you most likely will be fine.

Premium Member
    Thanks

More good information,... many thanks fromaron. Will check when I get home.

Thanks

I'll throw the following questions out there while I go looking for the info/answers,..

Do you just use multiple ATAs? Can ATAs be combined/attached to the same line ?

Jim.....
    What you could do is get an ATA with more than one VOIP port, note there are many with more than one but one is for VOIP and one for PSTN (called fall back).

If you had an ATA with more than one port you could theoretically split your circuits, i.e. use different combinations of the coloured wires to create 2 'sets' of phones. Don't ask me how as I am not a techo, only an engineer (not in telephones etc.). The problem with this is that if a call comes in on one 'set' then only that set will hear it ring and also answer it. This may not be a problem as you could choose to group strategic phones on the main line and then have the others as 'out dialing phones' using the other 'set'. It all depends upon the locations and purposes of the individual phone points.

Say you bought a MyNetFone 2 port unit like the Netgear TA612 or 613 (613 has a wireless router section) you would have 2 SIP numbers activated with only one account. One SIP (the 1st one) would have the free DID attached and would be the one 'outside' callers would call you on. The other port would be used to dial out if you wanted to keep the indial 'line' free. There are other ways of doing this which are more complex such as dial plans.

Yes you can have more than one ATA connected to a line. They would need to be connected via a switch or router, the switch or router is connected to the ADSL via the WAN. The LAN connections go to the ATA(s), phones then connect to the individual ATA(s).

I hope this makes sense to you.

EDIT: I just saw the earlier post and not your comments re the ability of having more phones depending on their REN value, thanks formaron.
    Last edited by Reddog; 28-07-08 at 01:56 PM. Reason: correct information and add edit