Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Topo V4

Thanks

Default Garmin Topo V4

I have just downloaded Garmin Topo V4 and it works in my new Nuvi 2597 but not in my Nuvi 760 i have tried to rename the map from gmappsupp to gmapprom but it still does not work it registers on the map screen and you can select it but it only shows the city nav up in the screen. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.
    Regards
    Doug

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

First of all, you don't want to name it gmapprom.img as that for your main City Nav map.

gmapsupp.img should be fine depending on where you put it??

I doubt if there is room on the device, so the best place to put it is in a folder called Garmin on the root of your SD card.

Secondly, City Nav has draw priority over Topo, so you will need to disable City Nav & make sure Topo is enabled (ticked) in your device settings.

Since you have it running on your 2597 you must have half an idea.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

dougld (09-05-14)

Thanks

There would be not room if it's an AU 760, the 7 series elsewhere had more memory however [up tp 4GB i think]. So i guess he means it's on an SD card. If it's showing and selectable in Map Info then the only reason would be the CN's taking priority as Tiny said [CN prio 30, AU Topo V4 prio 20].

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

dougld (09-05-14)

Thanks

Hi All
    Thanks for the replies. Yes it is on an SD Card tried renaming it again as suggested but still no joy the 760 with the latest firmware update will read up to an 8gb card but i am only using an 4gb card the city nav seems to be over riding the topo even when it has been deselected.
    I will keep trying and see what happens.

Thanks

Try either removing the CN or renaming it to <anything>.img or moving it into a temp folder so it can't be seen or read by the unit. Another thought is that even 4GB cards can be formatted in FAT16 in which case the image size is limited to under 2GB so V4 at 2.84GiB [3.05GB] would be too large. A few rare early 4GB cards were factory formatted that way. So check the card and reformat to FAT32 if it shows as FAT in Windows. 760 can see a second card on the SD in Garmin folder named gmapsup1.img as well as gmapsupp.img with latest fw but if it doesn't work as gmapsupp.img then renaming it is highly unlikely to help. Can you see the image in BaseCamp? Check in GMAPTool if there are any errors and that it's MS Flag is '0' [zero] if it's not visible, if it's '1' change it to '0'. If it's not visible in BC with MS 0 then it's likely the image has a problem.
    Last edited by Surething; 09-05-14 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks

Hi Surething
    I tried your suggestions and moving the map file to a temp folder but then it does not show any maps in the menu. The SD card is formatted to FAT32 as i formatted it before i loaded the map I also put a couple of songs on the SD card and the 760 recognises these and plays them. I have not tried base camp but will download it and try today.
    Regards
    Doug

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dougld View Post
    ......Topo V4...... does not work it registers on the map screen and you can select it but it only shows the city nav up in the screen. .........
    Hi Surething
    I tried your suggestions and moving the map file to a temp folder but then it does not show any maps in the menu. ......
    G'day Doug. Now you have me a little confused, i just re-read your initial post and noticed the text in red in my quote above. However, you seems to be now saying that after you moved the City Navigator that not even the Topo shows in Tools>Settings>Map>Map Info. If that's the case the Topo is probably either faulty or locked. Did you check it in GMapTool? If it's corrupt, you'll get an error message with 'result is faulty'. If it's locked, beside the prio 20 will be an 'L' and in other places it will say 'Locked' too. Even one locked tile will prevent it functioning in the unit. e.g.:
    Code:
    Map              length s-f  CP    prio  PID   FID  name
     00002626 IDX  23737442  2
     00002626 MD2    408553  1
     I0000A42 TYP      5226  1  1252           1  2626
     I10FC7E6 MPC   2746404  6  1252   20 L    1  2626  COCKLEBIDDY(S33.0-31.5,E124.5-126.0)  >Topo Australia v4  >Topo Australia & New Zealand v4
    Get it here:
    Code:
    http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/gmaptool

Tiny (11-05-14)

Thanks

Hi All
    Still have had no luck with this it is not the Topo maps on the sd card as they work in my 2597. I will have a look around to see if there is a way to reinstall the the original files onto the 760 if not I will just use it as a on road gps. It would have been good to have with the Topo's as i use this gps to play the music files through the Disco's radio. Thanks for all the suggestions it has certainly given me some hints on where to look.
    Regards
    Doug

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Hi All
    Still have had no luck with this it is not the Topo maps on the sd card as they work in my 2597. I will have a look around to see if there is a way to reinstall the the original files onto the 760 if not I will just use it as a on road gps. It would have been good to have with the Topo's as i use this gps to play the music files through the Disco's radio. Thanks for all the suggestions it has certainly given me some hints on where to look.
    Regards
    Doug
    If you used Garmin Express to update your firmware you should have a backup of your device on your PC.
    If you read my Tutorial you would have made your own backup of the device anyway?
    If you did upgrade your firmware & it was successful you shouldn't need to load the old files, the latest is the one you should have & the map will work.

I have Garmin Topo V4 & OzTopo V3, working on my old 1490 & new 2597 both with latest firmware so I can't see why the 760 would be different.

Just a question or 2 here; the SD card with Topo on it that works on your 2597 (assuming you used a card), is it the same one you're using on the 760?
    If not, I'm sure you tried it in the 760 right?

The Topo map you downloaded is unlocked? Or is it a Garmin purchase that needs an unlock code? Or you unlock using fastimgunlocker.

Basically if it is unlocked & works on the 2597 there is no reason it shouldn't work on the 760!!

Something is not right here?? Surething has suggested using Gmaptool to check the map for lock code or errors, however if it works in one GPS it should work in the other unless it is locked.

Also if the map is unlocked or has a genuine unlock code, then BaseCamp will read it directly off the SD card (will take a while to read it) with or without your GPS, if it has a problem you will have no joy with BaseCamp.

Let us know how it goes.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks

You still haven't said that the map is definitely the unlocked version, but i'll assume that because you've said that the same card [must be a microSD] works in your 2597 that you have the unlocked version from . So: Unlocked image file on a microSD used in a SD adaptor in the 760 isn't recognised but the MP3 files on it are so the adapter is OK as is the card. The map is working with the microSD in the 2597 so the map is OK provided it's unlocked and in a root folder Garmin named gmapsupp.img.

If you've eliminated the other possibilities suggested before, other possible reasons could be that the unit hasn't been updated and/or hard reset for a while. With it turned off, firmly hold the lower RH corner, turn it on while maintaining pressure and then follow the prompts. Backup your favourites etc first if you want to restore them later. Update the firmware if not running version 5.40 [especially important if it's running 5.30 which was buggy and withdrawn by Garmin]. If you do update, hard reset it again after as well if it doesn't start in the locale screen. If that doesn't help then i'm all out of suggestions.

PS: Sorry Tiny, you posted while i was drafting this.
    Last edited by Surething; 11-05-14 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Add PS.

Thanks

Hi All
    Thanks for the extra advice I have tried both maps I the 2597 and both are working fine but I did notice that if I do not select any map in the map screen the 760 still powers up with the City Nav and seem to work perfectly. I have done a hard reset and the software version is 5.4.
    Regards
    Doug

Thanks

Well, it's just not possible that it would 'work perfectly' without a detail map selected. It will work and even navigate, after a fashion, in that the standard gmapbmap.img is 'Recreational Routable Highway Basemap, Pacific v2 2.00' [Tools>Settings>System>About>Basemap]. But it will only route on major roads and otherwise will plan the rest of the route 'off road'. Either that, or you're somehow mistaken and there actually is another detail map on the unit apart from the CN you've deselected. Some maps will work if named gmapoem but won't show up in Map Info, and some types named gmapoem do show up in Info will but are not de-selectable. Of course you would still see it via Mass Storage Mode in the unit's Garmin folder as gmapoem.img and then be able to identify it as a detail map using GMapTool. As you may know, the other possible on-board detail map names are gmapprom, gmapprom1 and gmapsupp. 760 definitely supports Topo maps, so it's not a compatibility issue.

I note that although you've offered thanks for the advice that you don't seem to have acted on some of it, perhaps simply because you've given up or find the advice and questions from us confusing or overly difficult.

We still don't know, for instance, if it's an unlocked map you downloaded or an official map you purchased by download for the 2597 [in the latter case it would be locked to that unit only, not locked to the card in the way a map purchased on a microSD would be].

Both Tiny and I suggested you check the image with GMapTool and BaseCamp which you haven't reported on.

There would be a rational explanation and solution to this problem, but if you're now content to let the mystery remain, so be it. No problem here, other than i don't like to leave these things unsolved any more that i suspect Tiny does.
    Last edited by Surething; 11-05-14 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Typo.

Tiny (11-05-14)

Thanks

Hi All
    It Is possible
    Yes I am about to give up
    The City Nav is Downloaded from this site and is CN2015
    One of the Topo maps is downloaded from this site.
    The other I purchased from Ebay and works fine in the other GPS
    As an experienced user I am not but I do enjoy fiddling with things.
    Basecamp I do not have any experience with same with GMapTool.
    So Thanks for your advice it did not work for me and I only report what I see on the screen as I said before I have spent enough time on this so put it to rest.
    Regards
    Doug

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Well before you give up I think I may have unraveled the mystery.

The puzzle is as to why City Nav still shows when disabled & the answer can only be that it is on your device disguised as gmapbmap.img.
    My theory is that at some time in the past in an attempt to update your City Nav you have mistakenly named it gmapbmap.img which is reserved for the basemap of your device.

The basemap on Nuvi's does not show in map lists & cannot be turned off, if it is as I suspect a clone of City Nav instead of the original basemap then it will have priority draw over anything else you put on the device excepting a more recent version of City Nav.

To check this just connect your Nuvi to the PC & have a look at the size of the file gmapbmap.img. It should be around 50,000KB/50MB

If the size of gmapbmap.img on the 760 is much larger say around the 200,000KB/200MB range then it is more than likely my theory is correct & you will need to reload your original basemap from the backup you created before you started playing with your GPS.
    If you didn't create a backup it maybe possible to use a copy of the one from your 2597, however they are slightly different as you can see below so I'm not sure if they are model specific & have no intention of trying it out for you.

To check even further; if you can work out Gmaptool & read the header details you will see something like the following if the basemap is correct.

Program start.

================================================== ==================
    Reading file C:/Users/Tiny/Documents/Garmin GPS Maps/Latest GPS Backups/2597/.System/gmapbmap.img.

File: C:/Users/Tiny/Documents/Garmin GPS Maps/Latest GPS Backups/2597/.System/gmapbmap.img, length 51003392
    Header: 14.03.2011 15:43:24, DSKIMG, XOR 00, V 5.01, Ms 0, 006-F0057-01
    Mapset: Worldwide Autoroute DEM Basemap,NR

Map length s-f CP prio PID FID name
    WX_AMR MPC 230826 3 1252 0 T
    DCW_DEMT MPC 96698 4 1252 0
    F005701V MPC 50611259 7 1252 0

End.

================================================== ==================
    Reading file C:/Users/Tiny/Documents/Garmin GPS Maps/Latest GPS Backups/1490/.System/gmapbmap.img.

File: C:/Users/Tiny/Documents/Garmin GPS Maps/Latest GPS Backups/1490/.System/gmapbmap.img, length 51654656
    Header: 22.12.2009 0854, DSKIMG, XOR 00, V 4.00, Ms 0, 006-F0057-01
    Mapset: Worldwide Autoroute DEM Basemap, NR

Map length s-f CP prio PID FID name
    WW_DEM_1 MPC 77035 4 1252 0
    WX_AMR MPC 231747 4 1252 0 T
    WW_AR_DE MPC 51268793 7 1252 0

End.

Just a theory, however worth investigating.
    Cheers, Tiny

Surething (12-05-14)

Thanks

Bloody brilliant Tiny! Although i would never have thought of anyone loading a detail map as a basemap, that's quite likely the situation as it ticks all the boxes for the symptoms, and i'll bet if he goes into Tools>Settings>System>About>Basemap it will show the CN info to confirm it, without him having to even try to use GMapTool. And of course because he'd now have a 'basemap' with priority 30 instead of prio 0, it will cover the topo which has prio 20. And the unit may appear to route and operate normally, until it's zoomed out to where the basemap would normally take over in which case it might have a hissy fit. Routing without a basemap is likely to end in trouble eventually anyway. The standard basemap for 7 series was a regional/world variant, with detail for the locale and reduced detail for the rest of the world. In AU units that was the Recreational Routable Highway Basemap, Pacific v2 2.00. However, the Worldwide Autoroute DEM Basemap,NR Version 5.01 will certainly be more up to date with highways, and i think it'll work fine provided the unit can cope with the DEM data in it. I don't think there's any DEM in the old regional basemaps and the unit might just ignore it anyway. Certainly the 760's big brother, the 765 which although it can use 3D building maps still can't use 3D terrain maps [gmapdem.img].

I'm hoping Doug will post soon to confirm your deduction........[tick .... tick ... tick ... tick ...]
    Last edited by Surething; 12-05-14 at 03:02 PM.

Thanks

Hi Tiny & Surething
    I have checked the files on the 760 and i cannot find the base map at all. i have looked at all the visible file on the pc with hidden file checked.
    I will see if i can work out gmaptool and see how i go thanks for thinkig about my problems if we can fix it it will be great.
    Regards and Thanks
    Doug

Thanks

You can look for any map named gmap****.img in the unit and SD's Garmin folders when connected in MSM to your PC, and that's the definitive test.

If you look in Tools>Settings>Map>Map Info it won't be there because that's only for detail maps named as gmapprom.img, gmapprom1.img, gmapsupp.img or [maybe] gmapoem.img in the unit's Garmin folder, and on an SD in Garmin folder the names gmapsupp.img and gmapsup1.img also. They are the only names and the only locations that your 760 can see and use image maps other than gmapbmap.img of course. As said before, a CN named as gmapbmap.img WILL work [kind of], but won't be visible in Map Info, it will show however in Tools>Settings>System>About as 'Basemap' if it's present. Pressing on it will show information about the map, and if it's a CN it'll be identified as such.

The simple fact is this. You must have a CN somehow on the unit if you can see CN detail on the screen when navigating. The consequence of that is that it will then cover the Topo.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

OK Doug, I don't think you need to use Gmaptool as the more you tell us the more I can see the problem is not with the Topo map.

The problem is what is going on inside your GPS.

If you could give us a snapshot of the Folder & File structure of your device we would be able to see the problem.

1: a snapshot of the window which opens on your PC, first up which is the root of the device.
    Will look something like this. depending on your PC OS.

2: A snapshot of the .system folder &/or any other folder which has a .img file in it.
    Should look something like this.

This will help us If you could do this. If you don't know how to take a snapshot of your PC screen using snipping tool or print screen & upload the image for this forum, just ask & I'll walk you thru it.
    Last edited by Tiny; 14-05-14 at 07:25 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Surething (14-05-14)

Thanks

He hasn't got a .System folder as you would know Tiny but i don't think you've got one of the older models to illustrate. Doug, that file layout started with the next generation nuvi series [1xxx]. The 7x0 series is more like the 2x5W series. To ease any confusion, here's a couple of shots from an actual 760, first the root:

All *.img files are in the Garmin folder:

You can easily make a PC ss by pressing the Print Screen key while holding down the ctrl key, open Paint and than press 'Paste' to view, edit and save it. A screenshot on your nuvi can be made by going to Tools>Settings>Display, then enable 'Screen Shot'. When you go to the 'Map Info' page or any other page of which you want to upload a copy, just press the camera icon and it will save it to a folder called 'scrn' in the unit's Garmin folder as a bitmap file.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

dougld (17-05-14),Tiny (15-05-14)

Thanks

Hi All
    Thanks for all the help I was thinking if I got in touch with Garmin and see if i can get the Standard files for the 760 and then go from there I have posted a copt of the Garmin folder here and it is very different from what Surething has shown me with no base map and a lot of other files missing.
    Doug

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast