Thread: Ness D8x Alarm Audible reporting

Thanks

Default Ness D8x Alarm Audible reporting

I hope some of you alarm experts out there may be able to help. Just moved into a house with Ness D8x v5.5 alarm. The previous owner or alarm company has defaulted the alarm system. I studied the well written installers manual and managed to program the alarm with the exception of 2 issues.

First problem is that the default installers code 000000 didn't work so I re-powered the alarm in tamper to get into installers mode. Programmed the alarm ok but tried to reset installers code using P99E(new code)E(new code)E that didn't work. Any Ideas?

Secondly while the audible reporting rings my mobile ok all I get is the alarm message, but no beeps to indicate what zone or zones are triggering alarm. I really would like to get this feature working correctly as if I know more than one zone is in alarm chances are its not a false alarm. Any help would be appreciated

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillip5571 For This Useful Post:

esbardneymarku (12-05-14),yogleyarma (12-05-14)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Are you using the Master code first, before you use the Installers code?

Eg. Program - Master code - Enter (keypad will beep and program icon will light up) then press Program - Installer code - Enter (keypad will beep again and program light will flash)

Sorry I can't help you with the domestic dialing problems.

• The Following User Says Thank You to AdRock For This Useful Post:

yogleyarma (12-05-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip5571 View Post
    as if I know more than one zone is in alarm chances are its not a false alarm. Any help would be appreciated
    This is a very, very common assumption and it is often incorrect.

I have seen a number of genuine break and enters where only a single zone was tripped. On more than one occasion, the customer (or their nominated contact) instructed the operator to take no action as "it was only a single zone" and felt very remorseful later.

Wireless detectors are particularly 'bad' at causing this issue as they will typically only ever send a 'single activation' before going into sleep/battery-conservation mode.

Best practice is to treat all alarms as genuine. If you have a false alarm issue, fix it.
    Last edited by downunderdan; 12-05-14 at 11:24 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

yogleyarma (12-05-14)

Thanks

Thanks Adrock. That worked. There doesn't seem to be any reference to using master code first in the manual. Lucky theres some knowledgeable people on this forum.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip5571 For This Useful Post:

AdRock (14-05-14)

Thanks

Hi Phillip,

You havent quite defaulted the panel fully, which is why the installer code has not changed or the sequence of getting into installer mode is not correct.
    So check the sequence as Adrock pointed out.
    Also as anyone here would tell you having any default codes in any panel is something to avoid so it is advised to change it anyhow.
    Domestic dialling is ok for a telling you the panel went off but realistically you can't easily emulate a control room via a couple of audible tones and when the audible tones option is enabled some people said it is confusing.
    We do have apps for smartphones which may be a better way to monitor the later-version panels' alarms, but nothing beats monitoring where someone is available 24/7 without the worry of mobile phone dropouts/busy/etc and missing the event. You just have to way up the options.

• The Following User Says Thank You to MCman For This Useful Post:

downunderdan (12-05-14)

Thanks

Thanks MCman. It was the previous owner that defaulted the panel. Since I have reprogrammed it and changed the codes and the system seems to work well. Only thing that I'm a bit concerned about is how easy it would be to cut the phone lines. Can a monitoring company tell if a phone line is out? Would the ness gsm dialer be worth getting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip5571 View Post
    Only thing that I'm a bit concerned about is how easy it would be to cut the phone lines
    Very. All it needs is a pair of scissors.

Can a monitoring company tell if a phone line is out?
    Only when the system fails to phone home and send it's 'periodic test signal'. These are usually sent once a week or once a day depending on how the system is programmed. So they'd know there was a problem up to a day later. You'd probably find out sooner...

Would the ness gsm dialer be worth getting.
    GSM diallers were a workaround to line-cut threats many years ago. You have to pay for a SIM Card and call charges every time the system dials over the GSM link. Plus you have to maintain a fixed landline.

The contemporary solution is 'IP Monitoring' which uses a combination of fixed ethernet (e.g. your home internet connection) and GPRS via the mobile network. These systems are 'data only' and don't incur call charges like a typical GSM dialler or mobile phone would. Instead they send a regular 'heartbeat', the absence of which can be detected more rapidly by the monitoring company. Depending on your risk level this 'poll rate' might be anywhere from 24hrs to 120 seconds. In all cases though the phoneline can be made redundant and cutting it will have no impact on your monitoring.
    Importantly, unlike GSM diallers these tend to be a 'fixed fee' inclusive of all call and data charges plus monitoring.

Any 'graded' monitoring provider should be able to offer you one of these systems.
    Last edited by downunderdan; 12-05-14 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks

What Dan said....

• The Following User Says Thank You to MCman For This Useful Post:

downunderdan (12-05-14)

Thanks

Thanks Dan. Would love to go with the ip security but we just bought the house and was at the top of our budget so just trying to get the best out of the D8x for now. I think the gsm dialer using the Amaysim payg sim could be best option until I can afford something better. What do#you think.

Thanks

I think when you add the cost of a SIM card plus a few calls to the monitoring fees, the difference will be negligible and you're better off going with a more robust product. You also won't be writing off hardware.

Thanks

Ok I'll give some monitoring companies a ring and find out about costs. Thanks again Dan.

Thanks

I personally use a Melbourne Based Control room using Permaconn.

I'm good friends with the owner of the Security Company (here in perth) and have done EXTENSIVE testing with the permaconn.

- it will report a tamper on the permaconn unit
    - it will report a link failure between the panel, and the unit (uses a dialler capture module)

My unit has never missed a signal, it report from alarm activation, to control room screen within about 5 seconds.

The good thing, if you have the PSTN line connected, and someone DOES cut it, the permaconn unit will pick that up and send it through to the control room. Could be a lifesaver.

P.S i pay about 40ish a month for this.

Thanks

There's nothing wrong with Permaconn.

However a PSTN connection is rather superfluous once you have it.