Thread: WiFi Spectrum Display?

Thanks

Default WiFi Spectrum Display?

Having recently revived an old PC & now running wifi (from a PCI card) to my w/router, is there any free software that can be loaded to "see" spectrum wise whats going on around me?
    Like 2.4 AV tx, other 2.4 networks oh and yea them pesky microwaves on 2450Mhz. It would also help with alignment of antennas & so-on.
    I thought I'd seen a program some where that gave this style of info within the original PCI set-up software, just had to click on a tab and voila there it was. However, mine doesn't... grrrr!
    Any help is appreciated.
    With 7 sat dishes in the yard & 6 sat receivers, I'd say I'm serious about the hobby! Welcome to my own Pine Gap.

Look Here ->
    Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

WLAN Expert had a "spectrum" display and a VSWR display but this only worked withy some cards. It worked with my DWL650 PCMCIA card but not my Entrasys Card. Netstumbles worked the other way around, with the Entrasys but not the 650.

They are the only 2 cards I have ever botheres to use for scanning/viewing the 2.4GHz band. Other cards I just used for networking.

porkop

Thanks

Ubiquiti make a very nice little analyser (AirView) but the few AU resellers price-gouge something fierce. The product is also in short supply AFAIK.
    It's limited to the 2.4 ISM band (900mhz and 5.8 Ghz models are available now) but for the price you can't complain!
    Take a look here -
    There's one other similar product but I can't recall the name. Ubiquiti are just awesome, great gear at low cost, they sent me a free T shirt too

Thanks

Depending on exactly what you want to do the wifi nics need to support permisious mode. Some wont do it at all.

For the 2.4 and 5Gig spectrum, a cheap tool is the wispy from metageek. They have different models to try to meet the $ v features.
    eg:
    The WiSpy dbx is good for both 2.4 and 5Gig
    The WiSpy 2.4x is only for the 2.4
    the WiSPy 2.4i is only for the 2.4 but cant use tools to record and tune the scan rates (ie: for the entry level look).

For good raw view of the WiFi traffic, AirPCap nx (from cacetech) is a nice card. My cost you a few $ but it will do abg and n. This works with ethereal and Cain (and some other nice tools). Again there are different models to match your need v budget. Cacetech also sell there own software thay may or may not be of value depending on your budgets.

All of the above will work on windows.

Just have a look at their websites and see what you think.
    I can give first hand feed back on the WiSpy2.4x, the WiSpyDBx and AirPCap nx.