Thread: Partner transferred money to some random biller code rather than my account

Thanks

Default Partner transferred money to some random biller code rather than my account

Hay I am not sure what to do here. My partner has transferred $400 to some random biller code that is for some reason associated with my name rather than to my account and the transaction is called "bill" that's it.
    From what i can see that's dodo power and gas, so my question is how do we go about getting all the money that has been mistakenly paid to this company due to my partners laziness?

The account was closed back in 2017
    Last edited by bazzy; 23-04-24 at 12:44 PM.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,535 Posts

Contact recipient of the funds, explain situation, they should issue a refund to the financial institution the payment came from.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (23-04-24)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Contact recipient of the funds, explain situation, they should issue a refund to the financial institution the payment came from.
    I spoke to them and they said it appears there have been a number of payments to this account from the partners account. mostly small ones (likely payments where i have gone out to get the partners medication) they are refunding that fine but they have put a road block in place for this larger $400 transaction stating we now have to provide proof and that proof has to have my name on the account and show the transaction, this is not possible because the payment was made by the partner. additionally the transaction is simply called "bill" as no name on it just the biller code and reference number and amount. Dodo have said this is not enough. what other steps can i take to recover this? Should i take the matter to the ombudsman? or perhaps ACA?

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

I would also try the institution the money was transferred from.
    One would think an account being closed in 2017 would be in your favour.
    Probably remove that payee from your institution's bpay list or whatever transfer option was used as well, so it can't happen again.
    I do not acknowledge the so-called traditional custodians of the land and waters on which we operate.
    Stop using acronyms!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    I would also try the institution the money was transferred from.
    Tried that they said being an online only account there is little they can do about it and they cant see any more information

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    One would think an account being closed in 2017 would be in your favour.
    Probably remove that payee from your institution's bpay list or whatever transfer option was used as well, so it can't happen again.
    Unfortunately my partner is too lazy to do that. last time money was transferred to this biller i said to remove it. he didnt. I asked him to get the bank to show him how to do it when in the branch. he didn't.
    I then asked has it been removed he said no.

I am actually very cranky about this now because i am out of pocket for what this is actually supposed to cover and all i got from the partner was a shrug and oh well. leaving me to have to clean the mess up for something i told him last year to remove.

then went on to say "well its not my fault." made me respond with "who's is it then, mine?"

I have just tried calling the ombudsman service twice and the call just sits on hold for exactly 11 min and then says call back later and hangs up.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bazzy For This Useful Post:

gulliver (23-04-24)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Remove the payee yourself if your partner won't.
    I do not acknowledge the so-called traditional custodians of the land and waters on which we operate.
    Stop using acronyms!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

gulliver (23-04-24)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,535 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bazzy View Post
    I spoke to them and they said it appears there have been a number of payments to this account from the partners account. mostly small ones (likely payments where i have gone out to get the partners medication) they are refunding that fine but they have put a road block in place for this larger $400 transaction stating we now have to provide proof and that proof has to have my name on the account and show the transaction, this is not possible because the payment was made by the partner. additionally the transaction is simply called "bill" as no name on it just the biller code and reference number and amount. Dodo have said this is not enough. what other steps can i take to recover this? Should i take the matter to the ombudsman? or perhaps ACA?
    Ahh...sorry, I wasn't clear... you personally can't do anything about this (*) ~ only your partner can provide the documentation required (unless they paid with cash, in which case they would've got a receipt)

(*) the only thing you can do is demand outstanding monies from your partner, and leave them to resolve their mistake.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Ahh...sorry, I wasn't clear... you personally can't do anything about this (*) ~ only your partner can provide the documentation required (unless they paid with cash, in which case they would've got a receipt)

(*) the only thing you can do is demand outstanding monies from your partner, and leave them to resolve their mistake.
    yeah well the partner has a mental disability so that's not really going to work and i am not willing to just allow dodo to roadblock the recovery of this money

I am getting VERY sick of corporations just doing whatever the ##ck they want and get away with it.

the fact that there have been mistaken payments being made to dodo power and gas over the last couple of years and they haven't said anything about it is beyond unacceptable to me

I have raised a complaint with the ombudsman

Dodo where fairly clear. they want to see a bank statement that has the transaction ID from the partners bank and my name at the top. I have escalated this to the ombudsman and given the ombudsman 2 options either they pay the credit to me or they return the money to the to the account that paid it. and they wont talk to the partner because they are not an account holder.

it doesn't matter who's bank account it has come from because if the groceries are purchased by me when i go out or by the partner $400 less available in the budget is not helpful.

additionally it is a criminal offense to keep money that has clearly been mistakenly paid, just because their a business is not relevant. I have also indicated to the ombudsman that im not interested in being dicked around here.

I also indicated if there was a failure on either dodos part or the ombudsman part to see the return of this money to us i will refer the matter to the federal police for investigation and note their lack of cooperation, and that Dodos policy can not overrule the law.

after that blunt conversation the ombudsman was very quick to escalate.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,095 Times in 9,097 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bazzy View Post
    Hay I am not sure what to do here. My partner has transferred $400 to some random biller code that is for some reason associated with my name rather than to my account and the transaction is called "bill" that's it.
    From what i can see that's dodo power and gas, so my question is how do we go about getting all the money that has been mistakenly paid to this company due to my partners laziness?

The account was closed back in 2017
    Ummm...if the account was closed, how can they get the money? I would have thought that the banking system would bounce it back to you in time.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Ummm...if the account was closed, how can they get the money? I would have thought that the banking system would bounce it back to you in time.
    I would have thought so too but no they allow the funds through then make it difficult to recover it.