Thread: Recording to DVD from external sources.

Thanks

Default Recording to DVD from external sources.

Hey guys,
    I have a partner who loves recording movies and mini series . She has hundreds of titles . We used to record them on VHS however a few years ago changed to DVD .
    We used an LG DVD recorder for 5 or 6 years recording via AV in direct to DVD.
    This LG finally clagged and we bought an LG RH735T with USB and AV in.
    Big problem is that the only way we can record to DVD is if we re record the stuff we have recorded on FOX and STB hard drive onto the hard drive of the LG and then copy it again to the DVD .
    We have a Panasonic 3D Blueray recorder and it is exactly the same .
    Cant find any new firmware fro the LG to fix the problem.
    Any one have a clue as to how we can fix the problem or does any one know of a simple DVD recorder which will just record what you send it via AV ?
    Would appreciate any help
    cheers,
    Ramp

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

At a guess you may be running into something like Macrovision that used to block DVD record or play through a VCR.
    There is a site called Video Help (Google for actual name) that had all sorts of hints for removal of Country codes, HDD replacements etc on various machines.
    You may need to become a member but it was free and well worth taking a few minutes to do it.
    If you do go there, note your recorder could be listed under a different model but will be the same as sold here.

I believe that apart from some non standard formats being used in recording, the manufactures are doing their best to prevent any recordings made on one devise being transferred to another unless it suits them.

All the new flatscreen TV's I have that allow USB Record facilities will only record from the Digital Terrestrial channel and the TV must be left turned on, picture and all during the recording period.

I only noted the other day is another similar forum (swapping USB/HDD devises between STB/TV's) how much harder it is to record and playback now we are all 'Digital' than it was with the plain straight forward VCR's we have now thrown out !!.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 13-06-14 at 02:02 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

rampant1 (14-06-14)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Unfortunately most current model recorders will not record directly to DVD. As with all things in the consumer electronics business, cost dictates features. To record an MPEG transport stream straight to a HDD is easier (cheaper) than the process involved in making a DVD format compatible recording. In the case of the LG RH735T, it records on discs in the AVC format which is not compatible with most standard DVD players. Good luck trying to find a product that meets your needs but don't hold out too much hope.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TVguy For This Useful Post:

rampant1 (14-06-14),Tiny (13-06-14)

Thanks

Guys I think I found what I need
    A Toshiba DR430.
    Seems to have all the inputs and outputs I want, No Tuner No Hard Drive .
    Lets hope it doesn't record in some weird format.
    Any one who has info on this , a heads up would be appreciated
    Cheers
    Ramp