Thread: Using a single-board computer to Make a smart TV

Thanks

Default Using a single-board computer to Make a smart TV

SCOPE:
    the goal is to make a fully integrated Smart tv using a single-board computer and an existing 'dumb' LCD TV

Reason:
    Recently I have acquired A 42inch TV for nothing the slight catch being there is no display (yes I've already checked the usual caps etc.) as it turns out back light is good and there is a known firmware fault with this particular model so it got me thinking instead of repairing this stupid tv so i can display my Raspberry Pi media center on it what if there was a way to make it all in one package with a usb or two hanging out the side for additional usb type storage addons maybe even go all out and set up a media TV that also doubles as a skype box.

A tiny bit of research turned up a few single-board computers that suported LVDS outputs without the need of a converter so far the two candidates are:

CUBIEBOARD (not overly excited but still well priced)

pcDuino3 (alot more excited despite its higher cost)

So lets get the ideas board flowing
    To do list:
    Verify (again) out put of the mother board of my TV actually is a LVDS and not some frustrating propitiatory system
    chose a single-board computer then acquire it
    make a new power switching circuit for the power supply
    rob 5v from said power supply to power up the single-board computer possibly have independent 5v power supply so main one is still switchable
    actually im thinking that ones a better idea.
    workout a way to then interface an on off switch to single-board computer for back light and panel power supply
    possibly feed additional power to the LVDS directly from the power supply
    select a small amplifier to power up the speakers

long term it would also be nice to investigate the possibilities of having additional HDMI inputs but in the grander scheme I think this is relatively low on the to do list
    anyone got any thoughts? what have I missed? pros cons for each single-board computer? anyone else think I'm crazy? better yet thinking about giving it a try themselves?

Oh it's only fair to mention due to a change in location I cant really sink my teeth into this one in terms of hardware modification for at least a month

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Have you considered making a coffee table out of it?

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Drift (01-07-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Have you considered making a coffee table out of it?
    Thought has crossed my mind but it might be a bit much beside the 1HZ block coffee table.

However I am curious what specifics you may be thinking of when you ask this?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I think that MTV might have another (past) member in mind when he suggested a coffee table. A few years ago, member, DJMatt, apparently made a coffee table from an old non-working plasma TV receiver.

Incidentally, what do you intend using for a display? The existing 'dumb' LCD TV you mentioned in your first post?

It's a big jump from repairing a TV with no picture to making a device/"media TV that also doubles as a skype box".

Why don't you wish to attempt to repair the TV with no pix?

Thanks

Yes it is the afore mentioned tv I suspect it's an EPROM issue common with the model which could very quickly turn into a new main board which for about the same costing I can get one of these single board pcs. As for what do I want to do with it watch movies off a HDD view IPCs and workshop manuals and occasionally do some design drawings using blender all within a simple Linux box capabilities. However the scope could be much larger than my application part of it being I want to see if it can be done whilst passing time in a remote locality with not much to do

• The Following User Says Thank You to CSAR For This Useful Post:

tristen (02-07-14)

Thanks

actually this is looking more promising again as a control board as it is designed to control a screen the only 2 questions being is it compatible and can I load XBMCbuntu on it

Thanks

That does look interesting especially since it runs Android, could be a contender for an RPi substitute.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CSAR View Post
    ... I can get one of these single board pcs. As for what do I want to do with it watch movies off a HDD view IPCs and workshop manuals and occasionally do some design drawings using blender all within a simple Linux box capabilities. However the scope could be much larger than my application part of it being I want to see if it can be done whilst passing time in a remote locality with not much to do
    You provide a varied list of intended uses and it should be an interesting project, however...

for starters, the requirements for Blender (from ) are:

Minimum hardware

32-bit dual core 2Ghz CPU with SSE2 support.
    2 GB RAM
    24 bits 1280×768 display
    Mouse or trackpad
    OpenGL-compatible graphics card with 256 MB RAM

Recommended hardware

64-bit quad core CPU
    8 GB RAM
    Full HD display with 24 bit color
    Three button mouse
    OpenGL-compatible graphics card with 1 GB RAM

Optimal (production-grade) hardware

64-bit eight core CPU
    16 GB RAM
    Two full HD displays with 24 bit color
    Three button mouse and graphics tablet
    Dual OpenGL-compatible graphics cards, quality brand with 3 GB RAM

...so you are not going to be able to run Blender on the board you mention in post #6, as even the minimum hardware requirements are not met (or am I missing something here?).

I have no wish to discourage you, but I think that you are being extremely over-optimistic in thinking that a board such as you have referred to will enable you to do all that you have set out in your list of possible uses, even with additional hardware.

Commit all your ideas to paper first. In addition to your list of uses, list also the hardware specifications necessary to meet each of those requirements. Once you have done that, investigate what hardware is on the market that will meet those specifications.

I shall follow the thread with interest to see where it eventually leads.
    Last edited by tristen; 02-07-14 at 10:38 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

CSAR (03-07-14)

Thanks

I'm more than happy to let blender go to the way side as what I'm really wanting to use blender for was a poor mans CAD and lets face it there's no shortage of android CAD programs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    You provide a varied list of intended uses and it should be an interesting project, however...

Commit all your ideas to paper first. In addition to your list of uses, list also the hardware specifications necessary to meet each of those requirements. Once you have done that, investigate what hardware is on the market that will meet those specifications.

I shall follow the thread with interest to see where it eventually leads.
    Ok hard and fast desired out comes of the project
    XBMC
    CAD (not picky)
    Email (not picky on app)
    web browsing
    Weather info of some type

I just realized I may have moved the goal posts a bit here...
    any one else think of something that would be cool to have?