Thread: unlocked mapset not showing all layers

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

Default unlocked mapset not showing all layers

Trying to get an unlocked mapset onto my gpsmap62 but not having much luck.

Using MapsetToolkit I can 'install' my mapset in MapSource, but it seems like the base map is missing. I get contours, but no other layers, including the base map image.

Any help much appreciated.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Reverse engineering modern image files to use them in MapSource is not a good idea, MS is outdated and unsupported anyway. Use BaseCamp or HomePort to view image maps or charts provided Ms flag is set at '0' not '1'. To use the unlocked image in your GPSMAP 62, put it named gmapsupp.img in Garmin folder on microSD and it should work.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Onefella (10-07-14)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

As Surething says for putting xxx.img file on gpsmap62.

In mapsource some details are not shown for layers until you zoom in close enough & have detail selected at highest.

Mapset Toolkit can be a bit tricky getting the right settings.

If it's a map image with seperate image contour layer from roads & tracks. Both map image layers need to be installed to view & selected seperately from the map product selection box top left.

All these problems are solved by having the image on an SD card & reading with BaseCamp via the GPS or a card reader.

Hope that helps.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll try Basecamp for this.

I did initially try just renaming the .img file to gmapsupp.img and just copying it to the Garmin folder on my gps. But the map didn't show up, and wasn't listed on the map list to 'enable'.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

That should have worked if it was a small mapset like Shonky Topo or Tracks for Australia.

If it's OzTopo or Garmin Topo, it's likely you didn't have enough room on the internal memory or the Mapset is locked or corrupted.

EDIT: It appears you may have to create another folder in the Garmin Folder called CustomMaps & place the .img in there if it is a custom map?? Although I think that may only be necessary for kmz maps & jpeg maps.

Last edited by Tiny; 10-07-14 at 12:13 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Onefella (10-07-14)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks for that info Tiny. I'm starting to suspect I have only 'registered' one layer from the original .img file. Specifically, the 100m and 200m contours, only visible at the 7km or smaller, scale.

Installed Basecamp this morning but unfortunately the same non-working mapsets were still registered/installed in the available map list. There doesn't seem to be any option for uninstalling the duds, either.

edit: Renaming the install directory seems to work.
    Last edited by Onefella; 10-07-14 at 02:07 PM. Reason: addendum

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Onefella View Post
    Thanks for that info Tiny. I'm starting to suspect I have only 'registered' one layer from the original .img file. Specifically, the 100m and 200m contours, only visible at the 7km or smaller, scale.

Installed Basecamp this morning but unfortunately the same non-working mapsets were still registered/installed in the available map list. There doesn't seem to be any option for uninstalling the duds, either.

edit: Renaming the install directory seems to work.
    Yep that will do it, BaseCamp will read any installed maps in the directory they are installed for MapSource as well as from the GPS &/or SD card, both of the later need to be plugged in to read. BaseCamp can take a while to load your maps from SD card or GPS device if they are large, so plug in & get a cuppa or a stubby.

To get rid of those "non-working" install folders, send them to the recycle bin then if you need, restore or delete.
    Cheers, Tiny