Thread: Ness D8x control via RS232 or IP232 alternatives

Thanks

Default Ness D8x control via RS232 or IP232 alternatives

Hey Guys,

Have a ness D8x panel with the IP232. As you probably know the ness icomms app for iphone is pretty average. Is there any alternatives or other RS232 to ip devices with a better app or the ability for notifications, sms or email alerting?

Maybe even some home automation equipment to bolt on?

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Hi,

The protocols on the D8/D16 are the limiting factor on what you can do with it.

For more advance features such as email, SMS etc you would need to look at the Ness SmartLiving series or M1 Series.
    It will allow you to send SMS messages direct from the Nexus module which runs on the bus.

You have a D8/D16 you can always upgrade the panel and use the existing wiring or as others have done on this forum, create there own add-on for more automation features.

If you wanted SMS on a D8/D16 then you can just use the Ness SLink (Ness SecureLink) and wire a input on that module into a AUX output on the D8/D16 to send a SMS message.
    It even works the other way around, wire a output on the SLink and wire it into a zone on the D8/D16 and make it arm/disarm by a SMS message.

But also it is a full wireless backup system should the telephone be cut.

I hope this helps

Thanks

McMan is right....You want smart, Go M1 gold and , that is the best automation I personally think you can get. I ran this in my house for years, you will have lots of fun....

As for the D8, if you want to send e-mails you can use this board, I've bought one to play with: that will do e-mail notifications via a little PLC code, looks straight forward

As for SMS, McMan probably has a good sollution. Personally if you're into electronics I'd research ARDUINO. I've had a quick google and there are lots of "partial examples", nothing that I can see that would do an immediate job but if you're into electronics you could build something yourself. For Homeseer above you can get a serial attached GSM modem and there is a plug in to send events...

Cheers..Pete

Thanks

Thanks guys,

More than anything i just want to monitor the status or receive notifications on mobile. The smartliving gear looks really good but could be quite an investment to replace the components I require.

Thanks

I realise I'm reviving an old thread here, but is there an easy way to send a push notification or email from a D8x / D16x panel. I have it connected to the ELK IP232 adapter, so I have no issues accessing it via the Ness iComms App, but that app is very limited and doesn't allow for any actual alarm notifications.

I was hoping that at some stage NESS would update their app to be slightly more useful, but I'm tired of waiting for that so would like to setup my own monitoring system if possible.

Thanks

Matt B

Thanks

Would this work instead of the ness ip232? I was hoping to use a wifi connection vs ethernet.[URL="https://www.usriot.com/products/rs485-to-wifi-converter.html"]

Link deleted by mtv... suspect spam.

Do not hijack threads... start your own.
    Last edited by mtv; 24-02-20 at 11:24 PM. Reason: link deleted