Thread: Who here is a Chilli man?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Who here is a Chilli man?

Seems you either like them or you don't.
    There are those whom are addicted, and constantly look for a hotter chilli experience as they get older.

I like them when they don't take over the dish, when you finish a meal and your lips have a tingle and you feel a bit revved up inside (kinda like you just drank 500ml of RedBull)....
    I hate them when they are so hot, you can't taste what you are eating... And i'm certainly not a fan of them the next day!!! OUCH!!!!

I have grown them a few times, they don't yield much, but do taste nice.
    I have known of some european men that have grown Chilli's that are so hot, it stings your eyes just walking passed the bush!

So come on, who are the Chilli nuts here

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

I like it hot, but not insanely hot. Check out these nutters eating the "Ghost Pepper" that has a Scoville rating of 1,041,427!

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TVguy For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (15-07-14),weirdo (15-07-14)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Bahahahahaha, hahahahaha, that is so funny!!!!!
    The guy on the left is a pissa

The video, or more correctly the reaction of the people in the video, is why i asked the Question about Chilli's in the first place., as i truly believe they have some strange, euphoric and addictive quality.

To me its kinda like Hot English Mustard or Wasabi... only those 2 hit hard, but subside fast.
    Chilli's scare the crap out of me, cos they just ramp up, and up, and send your body in shock and survival mode.
    Perhaps it is this transition that produces the high people enjoy with Chilli's?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 15-07-14 at 08:45 PM.

Thanks

CHILLI???!!!! That's the magic word! Quite simply can't get enough. Plenty of varieties frowning in the back yard including naga jolokias and Trinidad scorpions. The fridge currently has devils delirium, scorpion strike & reaper paste from the Chilli factory and some Blair's mega death death sauce.

I keep finding more and more foods to add Chilli to it's becoming almost rediculous. What's worse though is even sitting here typing this my mouth is watering just thinking about my next Chilli fix.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (15-07-14)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

We have one chilli bush that yeilds non stop the whole year long thin green chillies that are just below the lethal threshold, so I basically have one each evening with dinner without overpowering it. This friendly chilli starts fairly mild at the tip with the heat increasing towards the stem, so I usually stop at 2/3.
    My wife eats the other small very red hot ones that yield most of the year, but on pause right now. I use them as an insecticide.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

I'm like you oceanboy, I can handle it as long as you still can taste/enjoy your food
    the weirdest thing I've ever eaten with chilli in it was dark chocolate

• The Following User Says Thank You to weirdo For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (15-07-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 862 Posts

I do like it hot, not in the summer though
    Always some extra hot chilli powder in the pantry and if I find the time I grow and cross breed them, hot chilli crossed with purple capsicum is really nice for salad
    Before the times of capsasian powder available over the counter we experimented a lot with the differen varieties of chilli and capsicum.
    One side effect was that I no longer like the supermarket capsicum as it just tastes bad compared to the real thing.
    And yes, we soaked them in alcoho for a few weeks, filered it and evaporated to get really, really hot stuff.
    But as with a lot of things in life you only have to try them once, after that you know wht to expect and stick to other things.
    After burning your hand on a hot plate you would not try it again just to confirm i burns your hand - would you??

I can say that when other people with normal taste buds say it is far to hot to eat, it will be just right for me.
    Even in the idian restaurants I am able to order extra hot and still enjoy eating it.
    But it all depends on how it is made, a meal that is just insanly hot but has no taste at all can't be considered a good meal.
    Wasabi is a no-no for me as the taste alone makes me sick and mustard I only like in small amounts unless it is a sweat tasty variety, the standard yellow poo in the glass just don't count for me.
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Premium Member
    Thanks

Same weirdo, i have had it with Dark Chocolate (not bad) and Vodka, again ok, but not habit forming.

I also i have a tolerance to some chilli's of origin and not others.
    I can eat jalapeno's fine (the family had a Mexican Restaurant, so perhaps i got used to them)
    But hot Indian Food just ruins me.... And the worst for me, was some Hot Indonesian Food i got served years ago in Geelong... It was positively brutal. I think i asked for 5 carafes of water that night

Some interesting reading here:
    Last edited by ol' boy; 15-07-14 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

I think its something you get adjusted to (the hotness)

When i was small my mother use to feed me peppers, gradually increasing the hotness till i got to the red hot wog peppers without a issue, relos who were use to them tell me while their eyes watered i was fine and i remember eating them and it didnt bother me.

These days i avoid them at all costs, after not going near them for 40 years even a mildly hot one would have me running in circles like a cat with a hot iron on its arse.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

Reschs (16-07-14)

Thanks

I have a bit of a chilli fetish. But not the stupid hot stuff. I like trying new sauces and different types of chillis. My freezer is full of Habanero's ready to make sauces. I have a selection of hot sauces on hand including Sriracha and Blairs Mega Death. I also love Hot English mustard, Horseradish and Wasabi. I have Horseradish growing in the garden. Fresh is best :-P
    De
    VK3AWG

All Religions Are Cults Just Some Are More Readily Accepted Than Others.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    I think its something you get adjusted to (the hotness)

When i was small my mother use to feed me peppers, gradually increasing the hotness till i got to the red hot wog peppers without a issue, relos who were use to them tell me while their eyes watered i was fine and i remember eating them and it didnt bother me.

These days i avoid them at all costs, after not going near them for 40 years even a mildly hot one would have me running in circles like a cat with a hot iron on its arse.
    Enjoyed the hot stuff in my youth. Although was never a Curry person.
    A good Chilli was always worth the sweat.
    The pain of the exit of said Chilli became too much, so in my dotage I now avoid it.