Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost to relocate solar panels same roof

Thanks

Default Cost to relocate solar panels same roof

Generally speaking, is it costly to relocate/move solar panels within rooftop space? Or just a few hundred dollars, simple fix?

I'm the good neighbour offering to off$et or potentially wear the cost to relocate a neighbour's existing panels due to my renovations which will obstruct some of her northerly light as per the attached photo:

She's also renovating atm and her panels have been de-commissioned (not currently online) where I gather an installer can push them higher without much issue. The panels/system would be an older string type, not micro-inverted. The company who initially installed them is no longer doing business which negates my chasing (them) for a quote.

I do quite like my neighbour; we've had a great relationship, she's a sweet gal and I'd like to keep it that way.

Cheers

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Hard to say, but the only way would be to get some quotes from any reputable solar installers. It should only be a labor charge.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,077 Times in 3,348 Posts

Just an observation judging by your photo, to where are the panels to be relocated. If you move them to the opposite side of that roof, you are going to negate any so called gains and be in the same position as they are going to be after your renovations are complete, or is there a more exposed aspect that we cannot see? Which direction is North?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Just an observation judging by your photo, to where are the panels to be relocated. If you move them to the opposite side of that roof, you are going to negate any so called gains and be in the same position as they are going to be after your renovations are complete, or is there a more exposed aspect that we cannot see? Which direction is North?
    North is the side in which the panels are currently facing, so will remain on that side of the roof. In regard to moving them - just sliding them up so the main banks are closer to the centre of roof (or top), rather than at the lower point. Not sure why the installers didn't think to do this in the first place with the potential that a neighbour may build, a tree may grow, etc.

Effectively, so the panels are more in the red area as illustrated:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Moving the panels would be piss easy
    The main thing to check would be where the cabling goes through the roof sheeting, if that can remain in the same place at least you don't need to rewire.

• The Following User Says Thank You to weirdo For This Useful Post:

th37sk (19-07-14)

Thanks

I've had direction with this and would greatly appreciate further replies from solar installers.

I've contacted 3 Melb. solar companies and only 1 has quoted on the job at $1700 PLUS Gst! The person who quoted the job did not visit the site, only sent his apprentice who took measurements for fittment. This got me sort of questioning things. Popped on the roof and grabbed measurement:

Roof length: 650cm
    Roof height: 457cm
    Better view:

The banks are joined (in terms of mounting hardware) in groups of 3 as pictured:

Length of panel is 158cm, which means each bank can be rotated 90 degree and mounted at higher points as illustrated:

This would put the lowest part of any panel at approximately the current highest point of her lowest bank (as shown OP) which will give her the clearance she desires. I have spoken with the owner and she is satisfied with this (height).

Math:
    650cm roof length / 3 panel lengthx158cm= 474cm with an excess of 176cm (5.7').

The current install has utilised an L bracket which can simply be removed allowing installation via the sliding holes under panel, no need for new hardware eg:

Isolator:

Thanks

roof penetration and string joins:

As reminder, panels are fully offline - decommissioned months ago for renovation.

Can a licensed electrician (with my assistance) move these? From what I understand, depending on the wiring/roof penetration point, the wiring that needs to be extended to the isolator is standard electrical wire and supply build solar green earth wire. Assuming he meets alll regs, and the roof is capped appropriately, what more are we looking at?

Many thanks, all

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Looking at the picture, would it be possible to leave the 'TOP' 3 where they are and remove 5 of the bottom 6.
    I note in the pic there is a vent pipe through the roof to the 'RIGHT' of the bottom row so that stays as is.

Take 4 of the six and add to the top row to make 7 in a row and the now 2 spares, add one ABOVE the vent pipe so there are now 8 across the top, and the last one UNDER the top row to the side of the extension but it should still get sunlight exposure so from above it would look like this,

..... Extension
    _ ..................VENT pipe
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Ignore the dots, their just to get the 'extension' and 'vent pipe' to sit on the page as I wanted it.

the '_' represent a panel.

Even if those on the top row overhang the actual roof area, it should be easy to support by framing
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 15-08-14 at 12:59 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Interesting. I hadn't thought to do it this way - by leaving the lowest panel with isolator where it is now, means no need to rewire (aside from panel joins).
    Downside is needing new mounting hardware to support the 3/split up, individual panels (where they're currently in mounting groups like _ _ _ ).

Sparkie coming out first AM to inspect the job.
    Last edited by th37sk; 15-08-14 at 01:44 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Just a thought with no idea to know if it was practicable.
    This way though would raise all up above the shadow line of the extension with that single lower panel getting good exposure based on those pictures.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Just a thought with no idea to know if it was practicable.
    This way though would raise all up above the shadow line of the extension with that single lower panel getting good exposure based on those pictures.
    Yeah it's a good idea - another potential way to skin the cat. I like how you think

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

pretty sure leaving one panel where it is will make the whole job of moving the panels useless
    the way I understand it is they are wired in one string, one weak link in the system reduces the output of the whole system
    even partial shading creates a big drop in total performance, something as small as a leaf or bird shit can make a difference
    I've already seen a van driving around here advertising solar panel cleaning

Thanks

You are correct weirdo. Fouled, old string panels do affect performance across the entire range, where one dirty panel operating at 80% pull them all to 80%.

I think Gordon was pointing out the one panel may just clear shading - but certainly not ideal. Simple move is to rotate the banks of 3 90 and shove up, extend wiring under roof sheet to isolator and cap accordingly.

Premium Member

Thanks

From the pictures I thought the panel were square, not rectangular which certainly can change the configuration options.
    Another option would be to take them over the centre roof line but that would require a lot of additional framing and no doubt would be fairly expensive too.
    I saw one house whose sloping roof faced South and they had build a frame to raise them to face the optimum 'North', they had done a good job but not one I would like having.

Thanks

A bit of update. With the help of an electrician, the panels have been spun 90 degrees and relocated to the highest point of her roof. Same rails, brackets, everything. The only physical change is the positioning of the panels themselves plus the addition of a waterproof junction box (under roof sheeting) and approx. 1m of solar wire for extension to new positioning.

As mentioned in OP, her solar company is out of business. She even went as far to ring the installer who did the job and he's completely out of the solar game, no tools, etc. She needs someone to come out to service and re-commission the panels (light them up).

She's between a rock and a hard place. Trying to engage a new solar outfit hasn't proved fruitful - to speak with her, they either try to sell a new system or they want to tear everything apart with complete rewire (and more?) to bring the panels to 2015 standard. She's clearly trying to avoid this expenditure (on both fronts) considering the panels and roof, etc. are known to be in working order.

She did a bit of research into the solar company (the folks who've gone out of business) and the make/model of her Chinese panels. Not a great track record. Another user on Whirlpool who had same panels via same co. (installed a full year later, circa 2011) had browning to fault with no recourse for warranty. In the end, this other person determined the panels were of such cheap value it wasn't worth her replacing and she simply went all new. Problem is, by ditching her old system (which she may very well have to do if browning/faulted) she loses her feed-in tariff of .32c and is reduced to the current .8c per k/w.

I suppose my questions are, is there a Melbourne installer who would like to both service (check browning - there is some!, test array voltage etc.) and light the system up? Please PM. She will pay, of course.

And secondly, is it recommended she move to this 2015 standard which purportedly involves all new wiring, conduit, inspection, etc. ? And if so, is it costly? The only quote I was able to receive was just under 2K, which seems a lotta rich. The firm said she required all new rails, too. Are new rails part of this 2015 standard?

I have contacted 5 solar firms and only 1 got back to me to quote. She has probably spoken with a half dozen, as well.

• The Following User Says Thank You to th37sk For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (23-03-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks for the update as I am sure other members who have any panels will be reading this with much interest.
    This is where its so easy to be wise after the event regarding warranties if the panel maker/supplier/installer 'disappears' long before the warranty runs out and it seems most around today are not interested in anything else but selling and installing all new systems.
    As for purported changes to any standards is an area those involved with this are going to have to research for themselves to avoid basically being ripped off when they have a perfectly safe and operating system removed and replaced because of some perhaps minor technical variations between the current and later materials used.
    If a system was installed in the last 5 to 7 years and was claimed to be safe and sound for at least 20 plus years at the time, I would take a hell of a lot of convincing that while 'Codes' have changed, the current installation is dangerous and may be perilous to leave and keep using.
    In this I am excluding shoddy installation or sub standard equipment used from Day One.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

th37sk (30-04-15)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,077 Times in 3,348 Posts

I'm also rather perturbed that just by replacing your panels you feed in tariff should be affected. Fair enough if it was a new system or a huge upgrade, but, if the system is remaining largely as it was, why should they be charged more??? It isn't as though the power companies are paying for the maintenance and repair of solar systems, nor did they contribute to the installation of them, either. What ever happened to contract law?

Premium Member

Thanks

While I am certainly no Lawyer I could see that because its in 'their' favour, by changing any part of the original installation also changes the contract as well and that might allow them to cut your tarriff rate because they never wanted to pay out that much to begin with.

Thanks

Final update: The gal has found a local solar firm who do solar maintenance, cleaning, etc. The firm is fully clean energy council accredited and only charged her $160 to inspect the system for safety, test array, light the system. Everything checked out beautifully, which means the work in moving was acceptable and we weren't met with the bullshit mentioned previously about full upgrade to meet new standards, complete new system required, and more. And yep, she's still able to retain her .32c tarriff.

In the end, the next cheapest solar guy who was willing to look at the system wanted $700 just to come out! I must say, what a load of shit we garnered from the industry overall, in this exercise.

Regardless, we've ended on a positive note. Thanks to contributors who go us there.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to th37sk For This Useful Post:

Tiny (30-04-15),weirdo (30-04-15)

Thanks

edit: double post. Apolgies. Delete.
    Last edited by th37sk; 30-04-15 at 02:29 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to th37sk For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (30-04-15)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast