Thread: Can't find Optus D2

Thanks

Default Can't find Optus D2

I've just moved house and picked up a new dish. I'm trying to get channels from the Optus D2 satellite, but it's not picking any up despite all my adjustments. It picks up Optus D1 fine when pointed at it, but when I try to move the dish a little to the west to get Optus D2 it finds nothing. I've also tried adjusting the skew and angle with no success.

I'm using a Phoenix DVB S100B receiver, which previously had no trouble getting Optus D2. The settings I'm using are:
    Mode: Fixed
    LNB Type: Normal
    LNB Low: 10700
    LNB High: 0
    22K Switch: Off
    LNB Power: 14/18V
    DiSEqC: Off

Is there anything I'm doing wrong??

I'm located in Brisbane btw

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Sorry, I meant I could get Optus C1/D3 @156 with no problems

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

Depending on what mobile device you have at your disposal there are some great free apps to help you find where to point the dish. Then you can play with the elevation. E.g. dish align, sat finder. These give you an exact map and google picture showing exactly where to point your dish and eliminates a lot of your guesswork.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

How are you measuring the signals whilst adjusting the dish?

Are you using a satfinder, meter, or just the decoder and a screen?

What D2 transponder frequency are you tuning to?

The apps mentioned are approximate, not exact, but should provide you with a starting point.

Another helpful site is

Enter your address and select Optus D2 from the satellite list.

Drag the marker to where your dish is located.

Ensure nothing is blocking the signal path.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

mkhannah (21-07-14)

Thanks

thanks for the advice.

I have a digital satfinder, but it must be programmed to only find the optus D3 satellite, as thats all it finds.

I run a complete blind scan everytime I make a small adjustment to find Optus D2

I'm pretty certain that the satellite is pointing in the correct direction for D2, and I've tried 2 different LNBs but both only find Optus D3. Is it possible the dish itself can only get D3?

Administrator
    Thanks

You can't blindscan a satellite until you have your dish correctly aligned to that particular satellite.

The only way a dish could only see D3/C1 is if the signal path to other sats is blocked.

If you have a sat meter that requires transponder details to be entered, then just like a decoder, it too must be programmed for the satellite you are trying to tune.

Thanks

Ok, I'm using a digi7 satfinder. At the moment it only finds Optus D3. How can it be programmed to find Optus D2??

Administrator
    Thanks

The satfinder you have cannot be programmed for a specific satellite/transponder.

All it does is make a noise and show a signal scale when it locates any satellite signal frequency from any satellite.

It is not capable of identifying which satellite it is receiving.

There are satellite meters which can be programmed, such as .

C1/D3 will appear much stronger on your satfinder compared to other satellites as there are two satellites positioned together (Optus C1 and D3).

To locate other sats, you need to have the gain of the satfinder turned up higher.

With these types of satfinders, you would normally start with the gain set at maximum, then reduce the gain once you have found the signal and keep making small dish adjustments until you have the strongest signal with the gain turned down.

That satfinder will only indicate signal strength, not signal quality, which LNB skew will vary considerably.

The sat meter in the link above also has a signal quality scale.

You said you're in Brisbane, so a good starting point for LNB skew is having the coax connector between the 6 and 7 o'clock position when viewed from the front of the dish.

You then need to be able to see a signal quality scale, either from a meter with that function, or by using your decoder and a TV screen whilst making LNB skew adjustments.

It sounds to me that you are not aligning the dish correctly.

When you say "I try to move the dish a little to the west to get Optus D2 it finds nothing." You didn't mention adjusting elevation.

What elevation and azimuth settings do you have on your dish?

Also, which D2 transponder frequency are you using in your decoder?

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I eventually picked up Optus D2, but the signal quality is very weak and even the smallest adjustment in elevation angle, lnb skew and azimuth causes a complete loss of quality

Administrator
    Thanks

Signal quality is directly related to LNB skew.

Yes, the slightest adjustments make a lot of difference, which is why you need to see a signal quality reading as you make the adjustments.

Keep in mind, you need to pause for a second or two after each adjustment to allow the 'meter/decoder display' to catch up... as they are generally not real-time devices.

Focal distance can also have an effect. FD will vary if your LNB can move forward/back in its holder.