Thread: Strong box F keys

Thanks

Default Strong box F keys

Hi,

probably a silly but simple question: How do I use the F1 - F12 keys on the remote for a Strong 4930L? Can't find anything in the manual but in the menu it has f key options? I have some instructions for IPTV which says I need to push F2 on the remote...but how?

cheers.
    2.3 M Phoenix C-Band dish, Star C-Band LNBF, 24" Actuator, Phoenix V-box, Strong 4930L decoder & ex-foxtel KU-Band dish, Sharp twin LNBF

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mattsat View Post
    ... How do I use the F1 - F12 keys on the remote for a Strong 4930L? Can't find anything in the manual but in the menu it has f key options? I have some instructions for IPTV which says I need to push F2 on the remote...
    What IPTV instructions are you referring to?

Isn't the Strong 4930L just a satellite box?

If that's the case, it doesn't do IPTV.

They are two entirely different services.

Thanks

Yes, out of the box it is just a satellite receiver, but I have found a software upgrade which will 'apparently' allow me to use an IPTV function on it with the wifi. I'm going to give it a go this weekend.
    2.3 M Phoenix C-Band dish, Star C-Band LNBF, 24" Actuator, Phoenix V-box, Strong 4930L decoder & ex-foxtel KU-Band dish, Sharp twin LNBF

Administrator
    Thanks

How about posting info about this software?

You're taking a risk... it may 'brick' your decoder.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

There's a reference to "Programmable Function Keys: F1-F4 & 0-9" on the SRT-4930L page at .

Perhaps the receiver needs to have different firmware installed (There is a link for firmware download on the page).

I suggest contacting Strong for clarification. Use the form at

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

mtv (25-07-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    How about posting info about this software?

You're taking a risk... it may 'brick' your decoder.
    I saw it here:

and I have various software updates from different websites eg. SRT4930_ALL_159p_20140403.zip

And there are others from google searches. I used one off an arabic site which gave me a different interface, extra satellites (not in our region though), and a built-in spectrum analyzer, but I couldn't bring up any hidden menus! So I re-installed the Oz software off the Strong site.

I am a bit worried about turning my Strong into a door stop, but the temptation to tinker is too great.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    There's a reference to "Programmable Function Keys: F1-F4 & 0-9" on the SRT-4930L page at .

Perhaps the receiver needs to have different firmware installed (There is a link for firmware download on the page).

I suggest contacting Strong for clarification. Use the form at
    Yeah, I saw that one too. But they don't have any manual except on the Oz site, but that doesn't mention f keys...

Administrator
    Thanks

Interesting.

Let's know how you get on.

Administrator
    Thanks

Yeah, I saw that one too. But they don't have any manual except on the Oz site, but that doesn't mention f keys...
    I suspect the remote red/green/yellow/blue (No's 27 to 30 in the manual) buttons can be used in conjunction with the software, as these are multi-function keys.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Interesting.

Let's know how you get on.
    Will do, and yes the colour buttons are usually associated with different functions, but from what I can tell, I need to activate and bring up a hidden menu first to use them. The usual numbers 6969 8180 didn't work, but I'm gunna try again with other patches.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Firstly, there is much "unofficial" (third party and "enthusiast"/modified) software for Strong satellite receivers. It can often be identified by the suffix "p".

But a word of warning - I'd be somewhat careful of using it unless you have documented evidence (forum-based) that it won't "brick" your receiver.

Secondly, it constantly amazes me how many posters choose to "chase their own tails" instead of doing the obvious.

Contact Strong. I posted the contact details. They manufactured the hardware and the official software.

Certainly continue to pursue other avenues also but the more "strings to your bow" the better, particularly the "authoritative" ones.

Thanks

I took your advice and contacted the (what looks like) European Strong website people - no reply. So I mailed Strong Australia and they said the 4 bottom keys on the remote are basically f1-f4 even though they are not labelled that way.
    With this knowledge I went into the channel menu and it has 'extend' f1 as an option - pressed the bottom first button, nothing, second, nothing, third - works. This one seems to be f1?? There is another option for f4 which is IPTV, but I haven't managed to get this to work.

The patch I put on the machine doesn't seem to be giving me anything and again, the numbers to input ain't working.

Also, on a Netherland's forum site which has many wonderous firmware updates for download, I have asked one of the admin guys to point me to the best firmware and am awaiting a reply.

When you say 'brick', you mean it freezes up?

Administrator
    Thanks

..When you say 'brick', you mean it freezes up?
    Brick = no longer works, dead, cannot be reset, destroyed, etc.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Mattsat (29-07-14)