Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which gps for elderly person?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Which gps for elderly person?

My neighbour wants to get a basic portable GPS. He doesn't use a mobile or have internet. So wanted to find out which one would be best to get. Preferably one with Lifetime map updates. Since I will be able to update it for him when the new maps are released. Also something not to difficult to use and can also add custom POIs.

Was thinking of Tomtom but not sure what model to get. Since I already own an older Tomtom and find it easy to use, but unsure of what the new GPS models are like.

2. Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

As I no longer use a dedicated GPS unit and use Google Maps I cant suggest any particular make or model but Garmin and Tomtom do offer lifetime map updates. From what I have seen of Tomtom's offer, it is for a limited time only. I also just noticed Navman also offering free life time maps.

Does your neighbour have a specific budget ?

JB Hifi's site shows a reasonable amount of makes and models for comparison.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I have a couple of older TomTom GO730 and although I can keep them updated with maps etc, they need regular updating (eg: every few days) for satellite locations, otherwise they take ages to aquire your position.

I have a work-provided Garmin unit, that has not been connected to the internet for updates for a year and it's still very quick to load.

Garmin do now offer free lifetime maps.

Based on my experiences, I'd certainly recommend the Garmin.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

+1 for Garmin.
    Any model with the features required, large screen for us elderly, lifetime map updates on most models.
    Just select one that suits the budget & if you have any problems with it Garmin are excellent on aftersales service which is not usually necessary.

Places to buy, JBHifi as mentioned, also are very good & sometimes Dick Smith sometimes has some good prices.

If you need any help or info just post in the forum on this site & if not me, there will be some one to help you in the right direction.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Which model for Garmin? I'm looking at the Garmin Nuvi 52LM and wondering if that one is any good. Also does it support School Zones and Safety/speed cameras?

I used an old garmin a few years back but didn't like it as the interface was very cluttered with POI icons that could not be turned off. Is this the same with newer Garmin units? As I like to have the map interface clean as possible.

Thanks

I would also Recommend Garmin, easy to use good uncluttered display and with street names pronounced, I took my Garmin on a 3500 kilometre trip around Canada and it was impeccable,

Regards

Walter

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Which model for Garmin? I'm looking at the Garmin Nuvi 52LM and wondering if that one is any good. Also does it support School Zones and Safety/speed cameras?

I used an old garmin a few years back but didn't like it as the interface was very cluttered with POI icons that could not be turned off. Is this the same with newer Garmin units? As I like to have the map interface clean as possible.
    Nuvi 52Lm is an entry level model. If it has the features you want at the price you want to pay then good.
    I think it is about to be discontinued or superseded so you should get a good price.

Yes it has the ability to add custom POI's; so School Zones & Safety cameras can be added if it doesn't come with them.
    Some sellers add these POI's as a complimentary some don't.

Safety Camera updates are available on this forum.

Map screen detail is adjustable via settings. You can have as much clutter as you like or have it show less.
    Also zooming out a little makes the embedded map POI's disappear from view. Zoom in & they will show again. They do on both my 1490T & 2597LMT models anyway.

Check the settings available in the manual here;

Every think you want to know about it here;

Hope that helps.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Nuvi 52Lm is an entry level model. If it has the features you want at the price you want to pay then good.
    I think it is about to be discontinued or superseded so you should get a good price.
    Haven't read anything about this one being discontinued anytime soon. Read it this was released on January 7th 2013 so not that old. Not sure how oftern Garmen update there models. Still tossing up between Tomtom and Garmin.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Haven't read anything about this one being discontinued anytime soon. Read it this was released on January 7th 2013 so not that old. Not sure how oftern Garmen update there models. Still tossing up between Tomtom and Garmin.
    See here at JA it says discontinued. That's why I said I think it is about to be....

As far as new models go for Australia, it is a case of what sells & what doesn't so they sometimes bring in anew model & discontinue another based on marketability.
    It doesn't mean the model will not be supported, my 1490T was superseded years ago, however Firmware & Traffic subscription updates are still supplied free on a regular basis if I want them. If I had Lifetime maps they would still be updated free.
    The older Models with Sensis based mapping still get their Lifetime map updates twice a year.

If you buy the 52LM you will get Navteq map updates 4 times a year if you want them. It is your choice how often to update, yearly or twice yearly is probably enough for most people, however if you want the latest changes then go 4 times a year.

BTW; If you are going to be the one updating the unit. It can be done from any PC with a program called Garmin Express which is downloadable for free.
    You just open the program plug in the the GPS via USB & it detects the model & Lifetime Status of map. It then checks for new software & maps for your specific unit, then gives you the choice to download & install the firmware & or the map. Which it does automatically & tells you when to unplug & restart the GPS, then plug it back in if there is more to do. It's very easy.
    You can even get the program to run in the background & check for updates then notify you when they are available. Or manually check without the GPS plugged in & it will let you know if there are updates available for your model. (this later option would be handy for you; so you don't have to have the neighbours GPS unless there is an update available. You can check first).

Hope that helps
    Cheers, Tiny

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

mtv (15-08-14)

Administrator
    Thanks

I loved the TomTom until I used the Garmin... now I'm a Garmin convert.

I think the model I'm using is Garmin nuvi 55LMT, as it has live traffic updates. (Can't check, as I don't have the vehicle ATM)

I recently purchased a Garmin handheld GPS for hiking from in Melbourne (St Kilda) or you can order online.

Very helpful staff.

They have a store in North Sydney and a freecall 1800 number, so maybe give them a call and see what they recommend for your neighbour.

I have no affiliation with them, just a happy customer.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (14-08-14)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    I loved the TomTom until I used the Garmin... now I'm a Garmin convert.

I think the model I'm using is Garmin nuvi 55LMT, as it has live traffic updates. (Can't check, as I don't have the vehicle ATM)

I recently purchased a Garmin handheld GPS for hiking from in Melbourne (St Kilda) or you can order online.

Very helpful staff.

They have a store in North Sydney and a freecall 1800 number, so maybe give them a call and see what they recommend for your neighbour.

I have no affiliation with them, just a happy customer.
    Yep I found Johnny Appleseed staff the best for GPS, they actually know how to operate what they are selling. I send all my friends there.
    are good as well when it comes to knowing the product, they actually make their own detailed Topo map.

@mtv, which handheld did you get?
    I've got an old Etrex Vista HCX, brilliant unit, however as my eyes grow dimmer I'm having trouble reading the 1.5" screen, especially when traveling on my horse.
    Cheers, Tiny

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    @mtv, which handheld did you get?
    Montana 650t... plus the 5m Topo maps and Birdseye Satellite Imagery.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I was going to suggest an old TomTom, as its all i have used.
    But by the sounds, the Garmin units are the go.

Then again, if the poor guy has made it this far with maps, why change???

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Today never would buy a generic TomTom or Garmin navigation unit, but an Android based device with GPS support and run there a TomTom or Garmin navigation software. Reason: both TomTom and Garmin (i.e. Navigon) navigation software (incl. maps) is available for Android. Both TomTom and Navigon MobileNavigator runs well on 7'' devices with a resolution up to 1280x600 pixels. A 7'' device with such a resolution is the right choice for an elderly person. You even can handle it with gloves, if needed. That was the main reason why I switched to an 7'' Android driven device.

BTW: Always newest TomTom navigation software is available here in the forums.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    Today never would buy a generic TomTom or Garmin navigation unit, but an Android based device with GPS support and run there a TomTom or Garmin navigation software. Reason: both TomTom and Garmin (i.e. Navigon) navigation software (incl. maps) is available for Android. Both TomTom and Navigon MobileNavigator runs well on 7'' devices with a resolution up to 1280x600 pixels. A 7'' device with such a resolution is the right choice for an elderly person. You even can handle it with gloves, if needed. That was the main reason why I switched to an 7'' Android driven device.

BTW: Always newest TomTom navigation software is available here in the forums.
    Some Garmin GPS units use Android OS. Eg: Monterra.

A dedicated GPS unit will outperform a phone app, as phones use GPS as an add-on feature, not it's primary function.

A 7" screen may be easier to see, but not always easily placed on a windscreen etc.

Clear turn by turn audio instructions reduce the need to look at any size screen.

The TomTom software (maps/OS) on websites only applies to older models, as there is no way of updating the newer models that I'm aware of.

A bit pointless anyway, if you can update with legit free maps on the newer models.

Horses for courses.... we all have different requirements.

Anyway... can we please keep this on topic as per the OP's post.

Happy to discuss handheld GPS and phone apps if someone wants to start a separate thread.

Banned

Thanks

A dedicated GPS unit will outperform a phone app, as phones use GPS as an add-on feature, not it's primary function.
    I spoke of an Android device with GPS chip built-in, not of an Android phone with A-GPS capability, or something else. Many real Android car GPS navigation units on the market. You can get them for about $120 USD. Not buying a proprietary system as Garmin or TomTom allows you to switch the navigation software (incl. maps) whenever you will.

Anyway... can we please keep this on topic as per the OP's post.
    Only felt free to answer OP's initial post: "My neighbour wants to get a basic portable GPS. He doesn't use a mobile or have internet. So wanted to find out which one would be best to get. Preferably one with Lifetime map updates. Since I will be able to update it for him when the new maps are released. Also something not to difficult to use and can also add custom POIs."

Banned

Thanks

Default Off-topic

Maps used on TomTom devices formerly were known as TeleAtlas maps; TeleAtlas became in 2011 a division of TomTom.
    Maps used on Garmin devices currently are produced by Navteq; Garmin has a contract with Navteq until 2015 (with an option until 2019).

Knowing this I'm wondering how Garmin can give a lifetime map update guarantee. They fool people, IMHO.

Thanks

I would get the TomTom as it has better maps (Sensis) in most places than the Garmin or Navman which use HERE (Navteq) maps.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post
    I would get the TomTom as it has better maps (Sensis) in most places than the Garmin or Navman which use HERE (Navteq) maps.
    The accuracy of both Sensis & Navteq standard maps is questionable for both depending on the area you are traveling.
    Actually they are both highly inaccurate compared to the top level maps such as OZTopo & Garmin Topo.

The Sensis maps are still available for Garmin GPS.

I have both Sensis & Navteq (as well as OzTopo & Garmin Topo) loaded on my Garmin GPS & can change between them for the most accurate map for where I am traveling, can you do that on your TomTom?
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

I don't have TomTom I use Igo/Primo on my 7" Android which can run both sets.