Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Vu+ to buy?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil View Post
    In what aspects?

Not trying to start a heated debate asking that, just curious as I'm not well educated about the fine details of these receivers.
    If you had to ask that question, then you probably shouldn't have purchased it.

A Duo2 is a full sized unit for a start.
    A clone Solo2, is smaller, more likely to fail, more likely to suffer from power supply issue, could be noisier, might suffer from a "Time Bomb" with future firmware's, doesnt have the same tuner options, the remote will be shit.... there would be other differences too
    Last edited by ol' boy; 21-08-14 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks

no heated debate, they just two what I would consider totaly differant stb,

based upon your writings, I would NOT get a clone unit they would be easier to stuff up.

people buy clones eyes wide open knowing what they get,

I have purchased solo and duo clones before and have been fortunate with little to no issues,

that being said, my recommendation would be go back to looking at a duo2 genuine unit, you will pay more but I think you will be a lot more satisfied with the unit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slippery49 View Post
    that is a clone vu solo2 and a lot differant to the duo2

here is link with a quick glance comparirson betwen vu models,

as a addon, just looking at the sol2 link,
    is an estar sim clone, so you will be limited to the tools and images they do for these boxes,

will be very easy to brick
    Thanks for that. On reflection the duo2 had more features than I require - sort of like owning a luxury car to go shopping in (which would be nice) when a Ford or Holden etc would be fine.

I don't want to derail discussion focus by similes about cars but could you please explain why you comment "very easy to brick" - what makes you say that?

My present UltraPlus 9000 gets bricked every so often (for no apparent reason) and the only "cure" is to power it off and on again. I'll be very disappointed if this China Vu does the same.
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

Premium Member
    Thanks

You have no idea what "bricked" means

Or much else that you have commented on.
    I am seriously doubting a box like this is suited to you.

At the very least, you are going to HAVE to start using Google a lot more!
    If you only required a "Ford", why didn't you just a buy a second hand Vu+ Duo for $150-$200????

Good Luck with your new purchase ;-)
    Last edited by ol' boy; 21-08-14 at 03:51 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    If you only required a "Ford", why didn't you just a buy a second hand Vu+ Duo for $150-$200????
    I believe he did post a wanted ad in BST on my recommendation, but didnt get any replies.

Tassie Devil, bricking is a bit more serious than that. It renders the box inoperative, permanently unless you can work out how to unbrick it. Clones cannot take all third party software images as an example, loading the wrong one can brick it.

Dreambox and Vu+ lose a fortune to chinese clones of their own products and some software makers support their anti piracy stance. I can remember a few years ago that a Dreambox software image had a clone "timebomb" in it. At a certain time and date, it bricked all clone boxes it was installed on. For that reason (and others) its not advisable to buy cheap copies of genuine items unless you know a fair bit about them.

Premium Member
    Thanks

My present UltraPlus 9000 gets bricked every so often (for no apparent reason) and the only "cure" is to power it off and on again. I'll be very disappointed if this China Vu does the same.

Maybe you should ask the company you bought the UltraPlus 9000 off, what the story is?? That sure doesn't sound right to me.
    They shouldn't need power cycling to resolve issues.

Not even clones do that.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 21-08-14 at 05:04 PM.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post

Dreambox and Vu+ lose a fortune to chinese clones of their own products
    The Chinese have a lot to answer regarding the above and Sat boxes are only .001% of the damage they are doing around the world with the same tactics. Sometimes you wonder if its a master plan to destroy companies world wide.

Thanks

BTW, i have a Original Vu+ Ultimo and Clone Duo, neither have ever locked up or "Bricked" as you call it
    Maybe you should ask the company you bought the UltraPlus 9000 off, what the story is?? That sure doesn't sound right to me.
    They shouldn't need power cycling to resolve issues with.
    It is not just my UltraPlus, it seems all can do it and the later 9200 has the same problem - there is a post somewhere about that but I cannot find it at the moment. And I did contact the source but he had no clues or suggestions.

Yes, I was not using "bricked" correctly and understand the term and should have said "hung". I did have a couple of Universal remotes here in bricked condition that required different software and did succeed in bricking another item when firmware upgrade went astray. However as far as this unit is concerned I'll not be playing around with any add ins or other software for that Chinese clone but just tuning it into Optus D1 to bring in the ABC and SBS channels.

And I would have gone for a used unit but none appear available.

I appreciate feelings about clones but there is no longer support for the Korean made items here any more with no one selling them so I have no bad conscience about undercutting some Aussie firm. And I would deal with the UK if they were more reasonable about freight. The situation is odd, requiring us here in Australia to buy Korean made items in the UK. Surely there is a closer Asian source - probably is if one could understand Korean.

Thanks

the size of the market would be the reason why,

we are a very small market compared to the likes of UK and europe

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

It is not just my UltraPlus, it seems all can do it and the later 9200 has the same problem - there is a post somewhere about that but I cannot find it at the moment. And I did contact the source but he had no clues or suggestions.
    What a lot of rot. You asked me about the box locking up and quoted this thread to me

If you bothered to read the thread before sending it to me you will see the person was using very old firmware (ver 2.09.49). I personally use 2.10.29. The latest is now 2.11.87 or higher) So the person was using firmware that is so old that you can't even roll back to it now due to boot loader updates that now only support the latest firmware.

If you brick a box it won't boot. A power cycle won't fix a bricked box.

Now if you upload a pic of your 9000 psu I might have one!

Leroy

Thanks

I'm on 2.11.87 on my 9200 no major issues. The only box freezeups I get that need a power off are ocassionally in internettv+

There is a 2.11.97 but not released as it has a bug that stops ftp to the receiver. That reminds me I have a couple of new plugins to upload here later.

Thanks

If you had to ask that question, then you probably shouldn't have purchased it.

A Duo2 is a full sized unit for a start.
    A clone Solo2, is smaller, more likely to fail, more likely to suffer from power supply issue, could be noisier, might suffer from a "Time Bomb" with future firmware's, doesnt have the same tuner options, the remote will be shit.... there would be other differences too
    Well actually that was the first question in this thread but I got no clear reply except some useful links. I'm not into sophisticated satellite navigation as some of you clever guys are and do not understand your reason for saying "more likely to fail" unless you are assuming parts inside are inferior and I find no evidence for that anywhere.. All I wanted was a simple reliable receiver to tune in Optus D1 and it looks like the Chinese clone will do that - no more tuning options are required. Looking at purchase of a Duo was silly and a simpler one from the UK might have been ordered but for the 90 and 100 pound freight charges. The remote will be no problem as I use a programmed universal HTM one anyway. If it dies then the loss will not be catastrophic.
    On the cloning debate I'm not sure how much of the "genuine" Vu is proprietary. They use the Linus system available to all. But I concede it is not ethical for the Chinese to label their products Vu when they are not producing under licernce. Or maybe they are - I'll ask and I'll also ask about their parts quality.
    At the risk of irritating some of you further, I'll post up about it once settled in.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Until you have owned an Original and a Clone for at least 3 years, i'd be reserving any further comment.
    Unless it is was intention to make people laugh?? In which case, it worked.

After your many times quoting, you just need simple box to watch Optus D1, why in earth would you consider one of the most complex boxes out there???

Go buy yourself a $60 Openbox, job done!
    Last edited by ol' boy; 22-08-14 at 09:47 AM.

Thanks

Until you have owned an Original and a Clone for at least 3 years, i'd be reserving any further comment.
    Unless it is was intention to make people laugh?? In which case, it worked.

After your many times quoting, you just need simple box to watch Optus D1, why in earth would you consider one of the most complex boxes out there???

Go buy yourself a $60 Openbox, job done!
    Glad to have amused you but this thread has really not been much help despite my initial plea. Your suggestion there would have been useful but I fail to see the value of jeering at someone who admits to only being a novice ion this field. Your superiority is acknowledged but your bad manners are not.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well, perhaps you can start by explaining why you need a Vu+ or any kind, if you all you wish to do is watch Optus D1?
    You would save yourself a lot of hassle, if you just purchased a simple box.

Its one thing to say you are just learning, its another to start posting statements which are simply incorrect!
    The Clone vs Genuine argument has been had on this site many times, many members can tell you first hand of all the problems they have suffered.
    Its all there for the reading, no one has deleted it. But to come out and make statements like you have... statements!... what did you expect?
    I guess you can always take it back to your "Technician" friend when it dies, after all, he told you its all made in China

Google it, Youtube it, Read.... But to start posting Clones and Genuine boxes are same, is just simply BS.

You've ask which Vu to buy. They are all good. The Genuine vs Clone is another kettle of fish.
    You can buy secondhand Vu Duo's here in Oz.

If you you were wanting to do is watch Optus D1, and had no experience in the E2 boxes, then i would never suggest one.
    Whats wrong with an Australian delivered HD box like a Humax??
    Full Oz Warranty, Support, Does what you need, No need to learn about different firmwares etc...
    Just plug it in, set it up and watch.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 22-08-14 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks

Well, perhaps you can start by explaining why you need a Vu+ or any kind, if you all you wish to do is watch Optus D1?
    You would save yourself a lot of hassle, if you just purchased a simple box.

Its one thing to say you are just learning, its another to start posting statements which are simply incorrect!
    The Clone vs Genuine argument has been had on this site many times, many members can tell you first hand of all the problems they have suffered.
    Its all there for the reading, no one has deleted it. But to come out and make statements like you have... statements!... what did you expect?
    I guess you can always take it back to your "Technician" friend when it dies, after all, he told you its all made in China

Google it, Youtube it, Read.... But to start posting Clones and Genuine boxes are same, is just simply BS.

You've ask which Vu to buy. They are all good. The Genuine vs Clone is another kettle of fish.
    You can buy secondhand Vu Duo's here in Oz.

If you you were wanting to do is watch Optus D1, and had no experience in the E2 boxes, then i would never suggest one.
    Whats wrong with an Australian delivered HD box like a Humax??
    Full Oz Warranty, Support, Does what you need, No need to learn about different firmwares etc...
    Just plug it in, set it up and watch.
    OK, I did some research before latching on to Vu and read that it was highly recommended and reliable - the reason for that being the initial choice. And none (new or used) seem available in Oz - I searched hard for that. Maybe I've gone full circle to get something unreliable - we shall see.
    Yes I looked at Humax, Strong etc but could not find much about them, possibly because I did not look hard enough. The Chinese clone is cheaper anyway and maybe nastier as some have forecast here but I'm trying to keep an open mind.
    Chinese electronics does have a bad reputation on the net although reading some posts does reflect a degree of prejudice but others do report genuine problems.
    I contacted the supplier of my box with questions but their English is so bad they have no idea what I'm asking!! A prelude of communication difficulties to follow? Maybe.
    But if the unit is OK I'll have the last laugh, if not, others will. Such is life.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Ah, its all learning John, your clone will no doubt be fine.
    It is not until you run a genuine next to it, that you will see/hear the difference....

Good Luck, at least you have something to learn and enjoy.

Thanks

Ah, its all learning John, your clone will no doubt be fine.
    It is not until you run a genuine next to it, that you will see/hear the difference....

Good Luck, at least you have something to learn and enjoy.
    Thanks oceanboy, and thanks for taking an interest.
    The receiver is supposed to be in DHL hands by now so should get here early next week but I'll wait a bit (not 3 years) before reporting.
    FYI I'm more heavily into A/V - started playing around with audio close to 70 years ago when the first crystal set was soldered together and I was limber enough to shin up a big pine tree to connect an aerial back to the house to feed it. Things have sort of progressed since those days!!
    And I'm battling with the authorities over the stupid freeview restrictions that have been placed on VAST, but getting nowhere so far.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12