Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Post your NBN Speed

Thanks

We have ditch witches here in Townsville that do all the digging. It's basically a high pressure water sprayer to bore holes and a big vacuum to suck up the mud! They bore a hole under my driveway which is 6mt wide by about 50cm thick where they were digging...the bloke just kept adding extensions to the water gun!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bjc View Post
    We have ditch witches here in Townsville that do all the digging. It's basically a high pressure water sprayer to bore holes and a big vacuum to suck up the mud! They bore a hole under my driveway which is 6mt wide by about 50cm thick where they were digging...the bloke just kept adding extensions to the water gun!
    Same thing happened in a street close to me where there was a lot of direct buried instead of in conduit. They hosed under each driveway and dug the rest. Pipes went in and that was that.

When it comes to NBN 'breaking phone lines', it's not NBN. It's Telstra. Telstra is responsible for clearing and repairing ducts and pits in the fibre rollout. This changes under the FTTN plan (you simply wouldn't believe what Turnbull has agreed to even if I produced a copy of the transcript) where NBN Co takes on not only the cost of the repairs to bring the phone lines up to scratch but also gives Telstra a freebie by taking on the cost and works involved in fixing Telstra's ducts and pits - items that remain Telstra assets. NBN Co essentially indemnifies Telstra against any cost overruns in any maintenance work Telstra carries out on NBN Co's behalf. (it really is that bad)
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 18-12-14 at 02:40 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    Same thing happened in a street close to me where there was a lot of direct buried instead of in conduit. They hosed under each driveway and dug the rest. Pipes went in and that was that.

When it comes to NBN 'breaking phone lines', it's not NBN. It's Telstra. Telstra is responsible for clearing and repairing ducts and pits in the fibre rollout. This changes under the FTTN plan (you simply wouldn't believe what Turnbull has agreed to even if I produced a copy of the transcript) where NBN Co takes on not only the cost of the repairs to bring the phone lines up to scratch but also gives Telstra a freebie by taking on the cost and works involved in fixing Telstra's ducts and pits - items that remain Telstra assets. NBN Co essentially indemnifies Telstra against any cost overruns in any maintenance work Telstra carries out on NBN Co's behalf. (it really is that bad)
    But he's got a lot of mates that need 'looking after' !!!!

Corporate/govt corruption @ its finest............and its legal

Thanks

For everyone that is about to be FTTN'd this should prove interesting...

There will not be a mass cut over when a 'node' goes live, this mirrors the current FTTP system where, you have to apply for service with your RSP. What will be different is what happens in the 18 months after a 'node' goes live, ie the change over period from ADSL to VDSL2+. During this period vectoring will not be used and VDSL2 will be operated in a 'low transmit power' profile to avoid excessive interference to legacy (ie ADSL) services in the same cable bundle.

HUH? What the hell does that mean.

Boiling it all down it means for 18 months 12Mbit/sec down and 1 up will be considered a normal working FTTN service. I kid you not - 12/1.

I wonder if any Austech members find themselves in that situation.

Thanks

Before the nbn the best I could get in my area was 3/.3. The noise from memory was 67db to the exchange around the corner! Ancient in other words!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    But he's got a lot of mates that need 'looking after' !!!!

Corporate/govt corruption @ its finest............and its legal
    As people may have heard NBN Co has agreed with Telstra and Optus to purchase their HFC networks. The Devil as usual is in the detail. NBN Co will shoulder the responsibility of building out those networks, particularly Telstra's, so that all premises in the HFC footprint can be serviced. Sounds fair. It ain't. NBN Co will perform the build out before it takes ownership. Hmm. Sounds a bit crook.

"But wait.... There's more"

NBN Co can only sell (wholesale) services on the HFC once it has ownership so no '3rd party' RSP will have access until after that date. In the meantime, whilst the build is still ongoing and whilst no other RSP has access, Telstra can virtually follow the NBN Co funded build out around (odds on it will actually be built by Telstra) and sell retail services to the residents as NBN Co wires up each premises.

I know it's hard to believe but that's the essence of what the post-Lib NBN Co board has agreed to.

Thanks

Well finally got NBN Wireless connected and loving decent speeds bit better than dial up I can tell you

Last edited by puca; 21-01-15 at 12:09 PM.
    IF IT DONT WORK USE A BIGGER HAMMER

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puca For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (21-01-15),Tiny (21-01-15)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

Peak time 10pm Sunday

• The Following User Says Thank You to pheggie For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (02-06-15)

Thanks

Boiling it all down it means for 18 months 12Mbit/sec down and 1 up will be considered a normal working FTTN service. I kid you not - 12/1.
    This has now been announced as official nbn policy, with a twist. During the transition period* the PIR on any FTTN service will be 12Mbit/sec. People close to the exchange building / street side cabinet that were previously achieving '21Mbit/sec' on ADSL2+ will be lumped with a considerable speed reduction with no set sunset date at which the artificial limitation will be removed.

Could someone remind me why FTTN is a better solution?

*this was previously an 18 month period but recent changes to the wording now effectively make this period indefinitely long - ie any other data service (ISDN, Telstra secure DSL, etc, etc) service in a cable will cause the transition period to continue
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 01-06-15 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks

Pretty happy with going back to Optus for their unlimited package

Average download speeds of torrents over the last week of test is 20mb/s-25mb/s which is pretty good compared to
    my old teltra ADSL+2 average download speeds of torrents 1.2mb/s-2.5 mb/s

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to precious For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (03-06-15),OSIRUS (25-08-15)

Thanks

Could someone remind me why FTTN is a better solution?

*this was previously an 18 month period but recent changes to the wording now effectively make this period indefinitely long - ie any other data service (ISDN, Telstra secure DSL, etc, etc) service in a cable will cause the transition period to continue
    Because Malcolm Turnbull said it was cheaper to roll out an already forgotten tech (everyone knows this)

Thanks

This has now been announced as official nbn policy, with a twist.
    It seems that nbn has taken a back step or two. Apparently when they said the PIR (peak information rate) will be limited to 12Mbit/sec (that's a pretty hard to misinterpret statement!) they didn't mean the services would be limited to 12Mbit/sec. Apparently when they say the peak information rate will be 12Mbit/sec they mean you'll get more than 12Mbit/sec... which contradicts the very definition of PIR.

Anyone in the communications world must be scratching their heads by now.

Either way, if you operate a business in a FTTN area and need speeds greater than 12Mbit/sec it would pay to make provisions for alternate services, just in case a PIR of 12Mbit/sec turns out to actually be a PIR of 12Mbit/sec.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 03-06-15 at 06:38 AM.

Thanks

Just a couple of test results From my NBN

first pic is an ISO file (the legal stuff to download)

gotto luv the speed

The bottom 2 pics same torrents just different times

Still beats the old teltra ADSL+2 with an average download speed of torrents 1.2mb/s-2.5 mb/s
    Last edited by precious; 21-06-15 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks

telstra just double my nbn fixed wireless from 25 mb/s to 50 mb/s for free until sept 15
    Billy T

Thanks

Internode 25/5 NBN ...upload speed seem odd but why complain
    Last edited by Timelord; 23-07-15 at 09:34 AM.
    Don't take your organs to heaven because heaven knows we need them here!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

The cost to taxpayers with only 12mb/s is a bit of a joke. Was in Czech Rep. for the past few months and we had 40mb/s in the flat. It was the slowest plan! I think the fasted was 120mb/s and there was an 80 if I have the isp correct. Even at the outlaws, they had 20mb/s through a wireless type ap that was pointed to a tower. They have had these types of services and speed for a few years now.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

NBN Fixed Wireless, 2km line of sight to tower.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ozradio For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (25-08-15)

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123