Thread: 20 minutes per Hour Advertising on FTA

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default 20 minutes per Hour Advertising on FTA

I saw but didnt read the FTA Broadcasters would like to have around 20 minutes per Hour for advertising instead of the 10 or whatever it is currently.
    I dont know how this was to be proportioned up to all paid advertising or including promotion for forth coming programs
    One condition I would require if this was approved is the introduction of the system to allow the viewer to block out adverts either live on when recording.

If this was ever considered, how would you like to see the Hour divided up and what should the minimum time of advertising be because 1 or 2 minute blocks every few minutes can be a killer.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I would have thought it would have been closer to 20 as it is. I dont watch a lot of FTA TV , but when I do its noticeable how many more ads there are compared to Foxtel.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Tiny (21-08-14)

Thanks

must be close to that already , i have watched shows that have running times
    of 41 - 42 minutes that they show in a 1hr time slot
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

From The Commercial Television Industry Code Of Practice.

Hourly Limits
    5.6 On any day each licensee may in each hour schedule on average no more than the
    following amounts of non-program matter:
    5.6.1 between 6.00pm and midnight outside election periods, 13 minutes;
    5.6.2 between 6.00pm and midnight in election periods, 14 minutes, provided that on
    average no more than 13 minutes per hour comprises non-program matter that is
    not political matter;
    5.6.3 subject to clause 5.6.3.1, at all other times –provided licensees comply with added
    restrictions in C and P periods – 15 minutes;
    5.6.3.1 where the hour includes a news program during an election
    period, 16 minutes, provided that on average no more than 15
    minutes per hour comprises non-program matter that is not
    political matter.
    5.7 In any hour, each licensee may (provided that the averages in Clause 5.6 are satisfied)
    schedule the following amounts of non-program matter:
    5.7.1 between 6.00pm and midnight outside election periods – up to 15 minutes per
    hour, but with no more than 14 minutes scheduled in any four of those hours;
    5.7.2 between 6.00pm and midnight in election periods – up to 15 minutes per hour,
    plus one minute per hour of non-program matter that is political matter;
    5.7.3 at all other times outside election periods – up to 16 minutes;Commercial Television Industry Code of Practice - January 2010 (incorporating amendments to July 2013) Page 28
    5.7.4 at all other times in election periods – up to 16 minutes per hour, plus one minute
    per hour of non-program matter that is political matter and scheduled in a news
    program.
    5.8 A licensee must supply to Free TV Australia for public release an hourly summary of
    political advertising and other non-program matter in respect of each day in which the
    additional minute has been utilised under Clause 5.7.2 or 5.7.4.
    5.9 In P and C periods scheduled in accordance with the Children’s Television Standards:
    5.9.1 no commercials may be broadcast in any P period;
    5.9.2 each 30 minutes of a C period may contain no more than 5 minutes of
    commercials and one minute of G program promotions or station identification.

Premium Member

Thanks

Read through through MTV's posting of the current rules and just adjust the current rules to allow an increase to 20 minutes of PAID advertising.
    To achieve this I would think the station would reduce+ the time allowed on promoting coming programs as although they are important, they dont earn money as an advert does.

How many times have you seen a program promotion repeated 2 or more times in the one block of time?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 21-08-14 at 07:01 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Stations have now and I think by law, all stations must identify themselves so often during the broadcasting day but that only need to take a few seconds but promotions of coming programs which are important, dont earn the station money as advertising does so maybe they would reduce them in favour of the paid commercials.
    Excluding promos, about the only time stations 'don't' identify themselves is during the commercial breaks, as the rest of the time, they display a watermark on all other program content.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Tiny (21-08-14)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    From The Commercial Television Industry Code Of Practice.

Hourly Limits
    5.6 On any day each licensee may in each hour schedule on average no more than the
    following amounts of non-program matter:

(yada yada yada)

And there is the rub.

Averages.

So the station can potentially show 20 minutes of ads in a high rating 90 minute period, and then drop the number in a lower rating period between the hours mentioned, providing the overall average is not exceeded.

From my point of view, another example of the wonderful world of self regulation

Just ask the stations, I'm sure they'll tell you they abide by whatever is required.

What is the regulating authority going to do? Take their licence away? I doubt it.

I'm so glad I can time shift on my recorder & skip the ads for the very few times I watch FTA TV.
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Thanks

I really wonder how much impact commercials have these days? With so many ads and such frequent ad breaks, who actually takes it in?

About 10 years ago, I went to England on holiday. I was amazed at how short the ad breaks were over there and how infrequently they interrupted the programme. First time an ad came on, I wandered off to get a drink and take a slash... came back and I'd missed half the show!

I think that commercial television will die in time. Life's too short to sit through that garbage. I haven't sat through ad breaks for years now and as they cram ever more irritating, blaring commercials in to each show, more people will see the light and find ways to avoid watching them. I guess the future is in paid for Internet streaming on demand, although I'm sure they'll try to make us pay to watch adverts there too.

Premium Member

Thanks

Based on the original advertising for 'FREEVIEW' as Digital was being introduced, I got the distinct impression FTA was heading to some form of payment based system partly due to their erroneous claims that unless you bought a 'Freeview' approved STB, TV or recorder, you might not be able to see receive all the channels available.
    Only the equipment didnt have the facility for a 'SmartCard', I do think the Broadcasters would have loved to be paid by viewers not only to see the programs but this would also allow them to have an accurate number of viewers to show advertisers when they levying the fees for the advertising.
    Technology now available to use the Internet for such 'streaming' could be an avenue for the FTA broadcaster to gain a source of revenue by charging viewers to access their programs 'OnLine'.
    Because your buying the material, they could charge whatever the viewers will pay and there would be no rules as to content, ratings or advertising just as Foxtel does now.

I saw a reference just recently that the Nine Network was looking to introduce something in September and the TEN network were considering pairing up with a company versed in the subscriber based business to also offer programing via the Internet.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 22-08-14 at 01:11 PM.