Thread: EOL's

Thanks

Default EOL's

Hi Guys,

Tidying up my alarm system, and adding a few devices. My system is mainly wireless (apart from 3 hard wired PIR's) i have to terminate each zone at the panel with 2/2k resistors. Becomes VERY messy with resistors sticking up everywhere.

Question, with just 3 hard wired devices, is it worth having EOL's enabled? I would much prefer setting the value to 0 and keeping the panel tidy!

Thoughts?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

EOL = End of Line. So your resistors should be at the "End of Line" ie In the PIR's, NOT in the panel unless it is a unused zone.
    Last edited by bet2win; 23-08-14 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks

Agreed. They're at End Of Line for supervision purposes. It's also far easier than faffing about with them at the panel soldering and heat shrinking etc.

Banned
    Thanks

I'm assuming you are talking about the EOLs for the unused zones. Any panel worth its salt should have a program option for unused zones so the EOLs are not needed

Thanks

Yes,

I have the EOLS in the PIR's (3) but wanted a way to avoid 13 on the panel's PBC. Found the option in the Ness Programming and turned off EOL hardwires zones! (doesn't effect wireless) problem solved

Thanks

It wont be solved if you have a smart thief.

Thanks

if he has a smart thief i think most alarm systems will be in some type of trouble

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2Secure View Post
    if he has a smart thief i think most alarm systems will be in some type of trouble
    Really?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post
    Really?
    C'mon Dan. In reality, how many systems are installed without dual path (with a decent polling rate), and with SEO or worse yet, EOL at the panel?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post
    Really?
    Dan out of all the people I assumed you would be one to agree

So you’re telling me that the majority of installs you’ve laid eyes either recently installed or an existing install especially domestic would stand the test of a smart thief?
    Unfortunately I am unable to give you an indication as to how smart the thief really is

I would love to be enlightened by you and gain some confidence in our industry BUT a high percentage of alarm systems would be easily defeated & even then it’s all left up to what response is in place & how FAST.
    Are you able to provide a parentage of how many dual paths, DEOL & well protected in regards to electronic detection & physical security systems (domestic) yous monitor &/or install, maintain or service?

From my experience I have found that most people’s cheque books are very tight when it comes to a full end to end solution. Don’t get me wrong I would love to have a customer tell me they have an open cheque book and just provide me with a solution that couldn’t be defeated by a smart thief

Thanks

I accept that many alarm systems can be defeated if they were poorly designed or thought out. And yes, I certainly see a number of these in my travels and we always try to remediate it (so the next guy doesn't blame us).

Absent EOLs are found from time to time (or you'll see them at the panel-end). Most prolific offence (and my pet peeve) would probably be mounting the panel in an entry-delay area usually with the Piezo sitting on top of it saying "I'm over here!". And yes, I regard any dialler-only system as fairly trivial to defeat - probably more easily than trying to short a detector wire.

My surprise was in regards to your use of the word "most" as in "most alarm systems will be in some type of trouble." No strong opinion having not seen any research but I thought that was a fairly sweeping statement, that's all.
    Last edited by downunderdan; 27-08-14 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks

EOL's are not what I see in the field as being the worst problems. In panel EOL is not real good when it is active zones but when you have the panel, keypad, wall socket for the phone dialup all at chest height in an entry delay area side by side in plain view from the outside of the building through a window without any screens etc and it was installed by a major company that subcontracts the work out and does it to the customer at a small monthly fee with a 3 year contract. Disgusting.

Thanks

Just to clarify, there are two options, one is to turn off individual zones if they are unused.
    There is zero chance of this effecting security - zip diddly squat.
    If the user has turned off EOL (option is change EOL to specific values and one value option equals N/C or N/O) to all zones then this is NOT the right option and these are two very different options.