Thread: Arkansas men file lawsuit over police radio encryption

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Default Arkansas men file lawsuit over police radio encryption

Good luck fellas.

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- A lawsuit filed by two brothers accuses two Arkansas cities of violating the state's Freedom of Information act by blocking access to police communications.

Brandon and Jeremy Mullens of Sherwood filed the lawsuit in Pulaski County Circuit Court against North Little Rock on Friday, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported (). They added Little Rock and some of the city's police department officials to the lawsuit Monday.

The brothers argue the cities violated Arkansas law by not providing them with real-time access to encrypted radio traffic on publicly financed radio frequencies.

Jeremy Mullens said they decided to sue the cities after growing frustration over their requests for police radio traffic being denied. He said his brother is a truck driver who had often listened to police radio traffic to look out for car wrecks and other traffic-related issues.

North Little Rock blocked public access to its police scanners in January and Little Rock followed suit late last month.

"They're trying to obscure what's going on, and that's against the law," he said. "They have an obligation to make this information available."

North Little Rock officials denied the Mullens' request, saying it was invalid because the law does not require public agencies to provide materials immediately as they are produced.

The North Little Rock city attorney's office declined to comment, but said it is confident its officials followed Arkansas law.

Little Rock city attorney Tom Carpenter said releasing access to encrypted communications would put the city at risk of breaking several privacy laws.

Information such as Social Security numbers can come across radio recordings, and Carpenter said the city does not have the necessary software to redact sensitive information. He said city employees would have to transcribe all radio communications in order to release requested radio traffic.

"That creates a series of problems ... We just can't give you the tape without redactions," Carpenter said. "We're not required to create a document."

The brothers also asked for an emergency injunction against the cities' police departments in their amended lawsuit Monday. They argued law enforcement officials have "altered" a public record by encrypting police radio traffic, which violates the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

shred (24-08-14)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Too much moonshine for those rednecks.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

enf (24-08-14),Godzilla (25-08-14),Tiny (24-08-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 862 Posts

OMG americans love to go to court....
    They should move to Europe and listen to the police radio - all totally encrypted and on digital multicast channels, a suitable decoder set's you back a few grand...
    Sure everyone loves to hear lates chase on the scanner or hear that the abusive guy down the street gets arrested - but everyone includes the criminals as well.
    Freedom of information is one thing but I'm sure most people will agree they don't like the idea of their license number, name and address being on the public together with (possible) driving offences.
    I, personally don't like encrypted police or emergency channels either, but they are the standard these days and I have to agree that the sensitive information the police constantly broadcasts if nothing for the public ear.
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,066 Times in 9,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Too much moonshine for those rednecks.
    Aaaaah...Ozark country. They just want them to "squeal like a pig."
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Yet the FCC has banned certain frequencies being available in Radio Scanners sold in the USA.
    I think most involve those used for Mobile Phones so all the Police need to do is move to those frequencies and 'Officially' you cannot buy a receiver to cover them.

When NSW Police went Digital in the Metro areas a few years ago, Reporters tried to get permission to access the new service as they used it to chase up News but they were told a definate NO.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    When NSW Police went Digital in the Metro areas a few years ago, Reporters tried to get permission to access the new service as they used it to chase up News but they were told a definate NO.
    Off topic, but that's incorrect.

There are some newsrooms that have been provided with a police radio.

Melbourne has done the same.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Aaaaah...Ozark country. They just want them to "squeal like a pig."
    I believe "squeal like a pig" is Georgia! NOT that I would PERSONALLY know!
    Last edited by cmangle; 24-08-14 at 09:35 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,066 Times in 9,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cmangle View Post
    I believe "squeal like a pig" is Georgia! NOT that I would PERSONALLY know!
    Don't be picky....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

It's an interesting tact.

In Australia the law doesn't stop you from listening to the police or decrypting their traffic.
    It doesn't give you to right but if you were to challenge them on transparency of operations, you "might" have a case.
    I don't like your chances in this country.

I'm of both minds. I would like the ability to monitor the police when I choose to do so. But I also understand the need for operational security and privacy.
    I might suggest that if any agency was forced to make radio traffic publicly accessible that they would do it on a time delay.

In Australia it works on the basis that the police are not afforded protection from eavesdropping. Security is their own responsibility.
    If you want it, you break it
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

It is a very slippery slope. If the police cannot operate in secrecy in relation to operational matters, it may make it difficult for them to catch the crooks. Yes, transparency is necessary, but I would hope that it were after the event, and then only after the court case is over.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

I dare say ENF them red neck pig squealers are geographicaly challenged!

Thanks

If you believe that the criminals and tow truck drivers cannot access the current digital networks in place then i have news for you, and its all bad.