Thread: Quality & coverage of maps

Thanks

Default Quality & coverage of maps

Hi all,
    Searching through ebay for a GPS for the car - I see that many of them come with pre-loaded navigation software and maps on a SD card typically.

OK, so the navigation software can be replaced (so long as its compatible with the installed processor I presume?) - but what about the maps?
    Most ebay auctions just say 'preloaded with maps for Australia' but don't say what quality or coverage those maps are. Asking questions like "how good is this map? Does it cover x town" gives responses like 'yes it covers all of Australia' which doesn't fill me with confidence. I heard one extreme example where maps outside Sydney or Melbourne just show major roads, and completely miss even the large regional towns all together, let alone any town with population less than 10000 people!
    How can you tell if a map is detailed enough for your needs ie will cover the towns you want - or is it just assumed that they're all pretty good now?

And then what happens if you find a GPS unit where the map isn't good enough for your needs, and you find a map that is - how can you tell if your more detailed map is 'compatible' with your nav software or GPS unit?

Is there a FAQ or tute that I can read up on all this?
    Thanks in advance...

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mitaux8030 View Post
    Hi all,
    Searching through ebay for a GPS for the car - I see that many of them come with pre-loaded navigation software and maps on a SD card typically.

OK, so the navigation software can be replaced (so long as its compatible with the installed processor I presume?) - but what about the maps?
    Most ebay auctions just say 'preloaded with maps for Australia' but don't say what quality or coverage those maps are. Asking questions like "how good is this map? Does it cover x town" gives responses like 'yes it covers all of Australia' which doesn't fill me with confidence. I heard one extreme example where maps outside Sydney or Melbourne just show major roads, and completely miss even the large regional towns all together, let alone any town with population less than 10000 people!
    How can you tell if a map is detailed enough for your needs ie will cover the towns you want - or is it just assumed that they're all pretty good now?

And then what happens if you find a GPS unit where the map isn't good enough for your needs, and you find a map that is - how can you tell if your more detailed map is 'compatible' with your nav software or GPS unit?

Is there a FAQ or tute that I can read up on all this?
    Thanks in advance...
    How can you tell if a map is detailed enough for your needs??

Well how long is a piece of string ?

For general use they are as good a guide as any hard copy.. but easer to manage. As per all maps out of date as soon as printed or released.

If you want off road driving etc that that's a different ball game...

Like all maps ther are a guide and cover the gazetted roads in general. As most common maps are derived from one of about TWO main map suppliers, there over all accuracy is great and reasonable consistant. Always correct NO.

The biggest issue I have with the Maps and the Systems is teh userbility... In most cases that is down to personal prefrence and what extras you want on your hardware and what System it will run.

For me, that means TomTom.. Each to their own.

Be aware, many of the systems that get sold on e-bay may not be fully legit.. While I understand that many might use a cracked map etc you do so at your own risk... To sell a cracked system is a different matter...

Thanks

Talking

The GPS's on Ebay are a mix of propriety branded (ieTom Tom, Carmin) and chinese "home brands"
    With the propriety branded units ypu are restricted to useing the supplied software and purchasing map updates as and when they become avail. The cost of this can vary from $80 ish to way over $100.
    The 'Home " brands run a mix of the most popular nav programs but not always from "legit" sources. If this does not concern you you are then free to try any number of systems on your unit and update maps as well . Do some reading here to get you started before you buy anything.