Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cleaning concrete satellite dish

Thanks

In terms of safety, what my concerns are is using a high pressure hose from that height, particularly given the fact the roof is not made of very strong material.

Also, carrying a bucket of water up a ladder would be difficult for me

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Carrying a bucket of water up a ladder is difficult for any one but unless there is a major loss of signal, I would leave it alone if you are in any doubt that you can work up there safely.

Based on those pictures, I would suggest a careful inspection of the brackets/bolts holding the assembly to that mast as they are looking decidedly rusty and that dish has quite a large wind surface which would put a fair bit of stress on that area when the breezes blow and the last thing you want is that to give way one day.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 23-09-14 at 02:58 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

The roof looks fairly flat to me... luxury for me, compared to many roofs I have to work on.

If you don't think you can work safely, then don't attempt it...... get someone else who can work safely to clean it.

The radio station needs to ensure anyone working on their property, including the roof, is insured.

The insurance policy may dictate that such work is conducted by a suitably trained and/or accredited person.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vk2goh View Post
    In terms of safety, what my concerns are is using a high pressure hose from that height, particularly given the fact the roof is not made of very strong material.

Also, carrying a bucket of water up a ladder would be difficult for me
    as mtv already said that roof is fairly flat which will make it a quite easy job (unless there's something else we can't see on the pic?)
    as for the roof not being made of very strong material, looks like stock standard corrugated zincalume or gal which is plenty strong enough for most
    if you are a bit of a heavy weight and are worried about kinking or creasing the roof just make sure you only walk where the battens are (easily found by the row of screws) or get yourself a sheet of ply to lay up there to work from
    sounds more like a case of not being comfortable with working at heights so maybe you should pass the job to someone that is

Thanks

thanks for that. I'll take this into consideration

Also, adjusting the dish position is going to be a problem. Would I be better off installing a second dish or paying the money for a qualified technicain to adjust the dish position?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vk2goh View Post
    Also, adjusting the dish position is going to be a problem. Would I be better off installing a second dish or paying the money for a qualified technicain to adjust the dish position?
    You have only mentioned cleaning the dish.

What's the adjusting/second dish all about?

If you are not comfortable getting on the roof to clean the dish, you need to get someone else to perform any work on the dish.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12