Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vu+ Duo and Sundtek DVB-T Tuner Pixels

Thanks

Default Vu+ Duo and Sundtek DVB-T Tuner Pixels

Hi,,

I just purchased a DVD-T Sundtek tuner from an Austech member for terrestrial channels here in Australia,.

I used Sundtek Settopbox Installer Mac to install drivers for Sundtek usb tuner.

Next i configured tuner to Australia Terrestrial

Then did a auto scan which found 40-60 channels.

The channels have picture but also lots of pixels and are not watchable.

Channle signal seems to be around 90%

Am I missing something or should this be working?

Thanks guys..

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks

What STB are you using?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by warbo View Post
    What STB are you using?
    Heading says a Vu Duo

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Heading says a Vu Duo
    Lol could it be any more obvious!

You could try this

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warbo For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (16-09-14),ol' boy (16-09-14)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

skimitchell,

Please do not post the same subject in multiple threads.

Considering you now have the tuner, I'll close your 'other' thread to which I have replied.

There are two likely scenarios.

What warbo has described in the thread in his link, being insufficient processing capability, or what I have described twice in the other thread, which I will repeat here.

Quote Originally Posted by mtv
    Signal strength isn't as important as signal 'quality'.

Signal quality is directly affected by the number of errors in the digital data stream, which is predominately measured in BER (Bit Error Ratio).

If the BER level is high (eg: a lot of errors) then the tuner cannot correct the errors fast enough and you get pixelation, or if there are too many errors, loss of reception altogether.

It's not uncommon to have good signal strength, but poor signal quality.

Signal strength can impact on signal quality.... too low or too high can increase the amount of bit errors.

Not sure what settings you are using, but you need to select DVB-T with 7MHz bandwidth for Australian Terrestrial.
    Both scenarios can produce the same 'appearance'.

The signal quality issue would be due to high BER/low MER.

The second would be poor processor performance which would more likely affect the HD channels more than SD channels.

The pic looks fine to me.... can't see any pixelation.

The signal readings displayed unfortunately mean very little as they don't show the actual signal strength (Digital Channel Power) or the Bit Error Ratio (BER).

They do 'suggest' the signal is OK, but sometimes those figures can be misleading.

What town are you in and which transmission site are you receiving your terrestrial signals from?

Just trying to rule out a reception issue.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Just as a side note MTV, I have previously spoken with him off forum and he had the same issue with a different brand USB tuner on the same setup.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Just as a side note MTV, I have previously spoken with him off forum and he had the same issue with a different brand USB tuner on the same setup.
    Thanks admin.

Could still be either signal or processor related.

Looking through warbo's thread, I'm now leaning toward a processor issue.

Many of these tuners do require a more robust signal to begin with, so if possible (without the availability of professional signal measuring equipment) we need to try to eliminate a signal issue.

Concentrating on maximising processor power with settings would be a good path to follow at this stage I think.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I have a Vu Duo with a Sundtek tuner myself and it works well even though I have a pretty average terrestrial signal, I would consider them better than some of the tuners built in to TV's.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (16-09-14)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I have a Vu Duo with a Sundtek tuner myself and it works well even though I have a pretty average terrestrial signal, I would consider them better than some of the tuners built in to TV's.
    Just having a 1 box TV solution is worth it all day long i'd say. Plus you get a DVB-T PVR as a bonus

Administrator
    Thanks

Also wondering if skimitchell is using any type of TV signal amp... masthead, distribution, powered splitter, etc.

An overly-strong signal can cause the same issue as a low signal.

Thanks

Hi guys,

Here is the pic link again as some said it was not working.

I live in a gated community with a central aerial and booster system.

@ MTV: I live in Peregian Springs, Sunshine Coast.

@ admin: The other USB tuner I first tried to get working was a AVerMedia which did not even find channels so a different issue.

A friend of mine has the exact same box and USB tuner and his works fine so im thining the processor and specs of box should be fine?

I should mention when I click OK twice while watching a channel the bottlom right signal strength says 99% on the channels that almost work ok and the channels that say 50-65% are definitly a lot worse. Does this indicate BER or signal strength are the likely cause?

Thanks guys for your help and sorry for posting in 2 threads.

Thanks

Hi guys,

I was asked to connect to Vu+ Duo box and run these commands:

/opt/bin/mediaclient -e
    cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
    /opt/bin/mediaclient --lc

and while TV is running:
    /opt/bin/mediaclient --readsignal=30 -d /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0

This is the output:
    [16/09/2014 7:41:58 pm] Justin and Nicole Mitchell: **** List of Media Hardware Devices ****
    device 0: [Sundtek MediaTV Digital Home (USB 2.0)] DVB-C, DVB-T, REMOTE-CONTROL
    [INFO]:
    [BUS]:
    ID: 1-2
    [SERIAL]:
    ID: ODVBTB
    [DVB-C]:
    FRONTEND: /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0
    DVR: /dev/dvb/adapter1/dvr0
    DMX: /dev/dvb/adapter1/demux0
    [DVB-T]:
    FRONTEND: /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0
    DVR: /dev/dvb/adapter1/dvr0
    DMX: /dev/dvb/adapter1/demux0
    [REMOTECONTROL]:
    INPUT0: /dev/mediainput0
    [16/09/2014 7:43:02 pm] Justin and Nicole Mitchell: root@vuduo:~# cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
    cat: can't open '/proc/bus/usb/devices': No such file or directory
    root@vuduo:~# /opt/bin/mediaclient --lc
    **** List of Media Clients ****
    /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0:
    489 ... enigma2
    /dev/dvb/adapter1/dvr0:
    453 ... mediasrv
    /dev/dvb/adapter1/demux0:
    453 ... mediasrv (1631)
    453 ... mediasrv (1633)
    453 ... mediasrv (1635)
    453 ... mediasrv (0000)
    453 ... mediasrv (1630)
    453 ... mediasrv (0012)
    /dev/mediainput0:
    No client connected
    [16/09/2014 7:43:57 pm] Justin and Nicole Mitchell: == reading digital TV signal ==
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 193 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 276 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 220 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 110 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 276 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 83 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 165 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 331 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 110 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 248 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 496 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 138 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 248 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 138 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 31884 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 413 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 716 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 331 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 496 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 220 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz
    SIGNAL: [.................................] (100%) BER: 17554 FREQ: 627499995 Hz LOCKED: YES BW: 7 Mhz

Is it possible/probable the USB Tuner is damaged?

Administrator
    Thanks

Hi guys,

Here is the pic link again as some said it was not working.

I live in a gated community with a central aerial and booster system.

Looking at your pic... I can't locate a frequency of 627MHz from any transmission site that covers your location.

Is it possible your community is re-distributing FTA and/or other signals with changed output frequencies?

A friend of mine has the exact same box and USB tuner and his works fine so im thining the processor and specs of box should be fine?

If possible, try your box on your friend's antenna and their box on yours.
    That should help determine if it's a box or signal issue.

I should mention when I click OK twice while watching a channel the bottlom right signal strength says 99% on the channels that almost work ok and the channels that say 50-65% are definitly a lot worse. Does this indicate BER or signal strength are the likely cause?

Quite likely.

All signals should be reasonably close in signal strength and quality.

If they are not, it may be an issue with the reception/distribution system or a problem with your tuner where some frequencies are better than others.

It's really difficult (eg: impossible) to determine exactly what your signals are doing without accurate measurements.

One suggestion... try another flylead from the wall outlet.

A good quality one, such as RG6 Quadshield.

Also, I'm assuming you have a direct connection to the VU from the wall outlet, not looped out of another device.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Also, I'm assuming you have a direct connection to the VU from the wall outlet, not looped out of another device.
    That is a critical bit of advise.
    I have seen all kinds of strange things happen when the DVB-T single is looped through another device. Including the loop output being switched off when the device was in stand-by.

Thanks

Looking at your pic... I can't locate a frequency of 627MHz from any transmission site that covers your location.

Is it possible your community is re-distributing FTA and/or other signals with changed output frequencies?
    NOT SURE MATE, I KNOW THEY HAVE A BUNCH OF LOOPING DEVICES ON THE WALL IN THE COMMON AREA ALL RELATED TO THE TV AERIAL AND BOOSERS FOR HE COMPLET +- 90 UNITS.

If possible, try your box on your friend's antenna and their box on yours.
    That should help determine if it's a box or signal issue.
    GREAT IDEA, I WILL TRY DO OVER NEXT DAY OR 2

Quite likely.

All signals should be reasonably close in signal strength and quality.

If they are not, it may be an issue with the reception/distribution system or a problem with your tuner where some frequencies are better than others.
    I DEFINITLY HAVE SOME CHANNELS AT 99% AND OTHERS AT 50-60% SIGNAL STRENGTH IF AT ALL ACCURATE

It's really difficult (eg: impossible) to determine exactly what your signals are doing without accurate measurements.

One suggestion... try another flylead from the wall outlet.

A good quality one, such as RG6 Quadshield.
    I HAVE TRIED ABOUT 3 GOOD ONES

YES DIRECT FROM WALL SOCKET, ACTUALLY I UNSCREWED THE WALL SOCKET AND WENT STRAIGHT FROM INSIDE WALL TO VU+ TO ILIMINATE WALL SOCKET

Thansk again for all your input guys, this is driving me nuts and this is my second USB i have purchased total cost over $160 so hoping it's somethign simple to fix.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Depending on how well you know your neighbours, both close and far from you place, could you ask them what their reception is like and depending on their replies could help you decide if there is a problem, is it overall or just limited to you?
    A perhaps not favoured option would be trying out your own antenna but being in a 'Gated Community' might be frowned upon so you would need to be subtle in taking that option.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 17-09-14 at 04:22 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

Swapping boxes around with your friend is the best test you can perform yourself.

Let's know how you get on with that.

I'm still puzzled though with the 627MHz frequency in your pic.

Do you know which transmission site the antenna is pointed at? (there are several that cover your area and that can also be an issue).

Can you list ALL the frequencies for each FTA network you receive?

That might help me locate which transmission site your signals are coming from.

Unfortunately, this is all theory-based... it doesn't compare with actually being there with test equipment, which would usually pinpoint the issue in a few minutes.

Signal readings in percentage mean very little, as they are just an 'indication' which is often wrong.

Signals should be measured by the industry standard of dBuV.

BER is usually measured in a ratio per decimal point. eg: 6 to the power of 8

MER is measured in dB.

Does the 'community' send any other TV/video channels/services over the cable to your TV? Eg: any information channel, CCTV cameras on the gate?

Thanks

Ok, an update.

The good news is i have determined what the problem is, The BAD news is its going to cost me more money!

I took my box to work, plugged it into local channel aerial and perfect terrestrial channels. I guess that means the signal at home must have too many BER's for a clear picture weather it be over boosted signal or lack there of sounds like i need to install my own aeriel inside my roof to meet bodycorp regulations? Oh boy!!!

Any other low cost suggestions out there guys?

Thanks again for all your input and helping me

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skimitchell For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (19-09-14),mtv (20-09-14)

Premium Member
    Thanks

If its over signal, it could be attenuated.
    Under signal, not sure. Good to know you had it all set up and working right tho.
    Makes me wonder if your first USB tuner may have worked if the sig was in range?

mtv has been right all along
    Last edited by ol' boy; 19-09-14 at 04:31 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Once again, it's impossible to know what the signals are doing without accurate readings.

'IF' the signal level is too high, yes, attenuation is the fix, but you really need to know 'what' signals are too high, as strong out-of-band signals can be the cause, not necessarily the digital TV signals.

Other modulated/distributed sources, FM radio, 2-way radio, mobile phones signals, pagers, etc, etc.... they can all be potential causes.

A cheap experiment would be to try some attenuation with one of .

It's a variable type, so you can try different amounts of attenuation.

There are versions, which I prefer, but the variable type is better when you don't know how much to attenuate by.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast