Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Default Windows 10

Looks like Microsoft is going to skip a version 9.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

admin (01-10-14),Coldamus (01-10-14),OSIRUS (02-10-14),Seymour Butts (01-10-14),Tiny (01-10-14)

Look Here ->
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

A quantum leap then... maybe it will have a Unix kernel
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

A Windows for everything: from the home appliance to server

These are the 6 new main features:

» Start menu:
    The familiar Start menu is back, but it brings with it a new customizable space for your favorite apps and Live Tiles.

» Everything runs in a window:
    Apps from the Windows Store now open in the same format that desktop apps do and can be resized and moved around, and have title bars at the top allowing for maximize, minimize, and close with a click.

» Multiple desktops:
    Create desktops for different purposes and projects and switch between these desktops easily and pick up where you left off on each desktop.

» Find files faster:
    File Explorer now displays your recent files and frequently visited folders making for finding files you've worked on is easier.

» New task view button:
    There's a new task-view button on the taskbar for quick switching between open files and quick access to any desktops you create.

» Snap enhancements:
    You can now have four apps snapped on the same screen with a new quadrant layout. Windows will also show other apps and programs running for additional snapping and even make smart suggestions on filling available screen space with other open apps.

The copy of Windows 10 Enterprise Technical Preview is free of charge available . You may run it in a virtual machine in order to see how Windows 10 will do. Microsoft indicates explicitly that this pre-release version of Windows 10 Enterprise only is something for those who can do something with DLL, PXE boot and BIOS.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 01-10-14 at 08:21 PM. Reason: list of features added

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

admin (03-10-14),billy t (14-12-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

but 8 + 7 = 15?

looks familiar

Last edited by Philquad; 01-10-14 at 05:34 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    but 8 + 7 = 15?
    Correct. But Microsoft would have got trouble with me, because Windows 15 is the heavily modified Windows 8 version which actually runs on my laptop, LOL.

Thanks

i agree on the heavily modified part
    tuning a new acer lappy today with win 8 of course
    takes longer to remove all the bloatware than anything else
    mcaffee 30 days pfft
    acer cloud? the list goes on

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

i agree on the heavily modified part
    tuning a new acer lappy today with win 8 of course
    takes longer to remove all the bloatware than anything else
    mcaffee 30 days pfft
    acer cloud? the list goes on
    Hang on Phil, that bloatware doesn't come with Win8. It comes from Acer preinstalled.

Lets be fair.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

admin (03-10-14)

Thanks

dont they all, toshiba, hp, dell,
    they dont even boot fast, then you cant access apps unless you have a ms account, its bs
    a win 8 install with crap, on a 1 terrabyte drive, in 2 months i'll be pulling the hd out & put it in a dock to recover 50 gigs of photos (oops lost the email)
    because windows is corrupt or virus ridden
    not even a recovery built in on this 1
    they wonder why we hack the software

Banned

Thanks

because windows is corrupt or virus ridden
    not even a recovery built in on this 1
    When I last year bought my Lenovo G505s with Windows 8 OEM-version pre-installed, then it
    1. was definitely clean - except 2 bloatwares, and
    2. had a recovery built in.
    BTW: This recovery of course became useless, because in the meanwhile I updated the laptop to Windows 8.1 Update 2.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Windows 10 looks like a Linux wannabe. I think that Linux might topple M$ in the near future if M$ don't change their thinking real quick.

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    Looks like Microsoft is going to skip a version 9.
    If you enumerate significant Windows versions only, you'll easily come to the conclusion, that Windows 10 for Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, ME, Server 2003, XP, Vista, 7, and 8 is the tenth real Windows.

Thanks

Saw a tweet that said they are going to Windows 10 because so many 3rd party apps look for a "9" to decide if you are using windows 95 or 98.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ssrattus For This Useful Post:

Tiny (02-10-14)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Thanks ssratus, that makes sense. Actually, jwoegerbauer, there, you are incorrect. Windows 2000, and windows Server 2003 were actually parallel products based on the Windows NT platform. For desktop windows systems it was actually in this order Windows 1 (hardly saw the light of day), 2 (first one readily available), 3 (first real "competitor" to mac), 95 (first integrated OS i.e. not sitting "on top" of DOS), 98 (better mouse trap and basic networking), ME (nuff sed), XP (move to the NT platform), Vista (an experiment that was marginally better than ME), 7 (best yet), and then 8 (need I say more). Which, if you count correctly means that the next iteration of windoze should, in fact, be Windoze 11.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Default First Impression

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post

The copy of Windows 10 Enterprise Technical Preview is free of charge available . You may run it in a virtual machine in order to see how Windows 10 will do. Microsoft indicates explicitly that this pre-release version of Windows 10 Enterprise only is something for those who can do something with DLL, PXE boot and BIOS.
    Installed the ISO very easily with Parallels VM on my MacBook. Just set the partition size and everything went by itself.
    Couldn't get USB to work (probably a Parallels issue) so I can't install any of my software to test compatibility.

In essence I don't find a great difference to earlier windows.

I still don't like the apps, they want to go online but I disabled wifi because I only use Windows offline, if I ever use it.
    Why I have to sign in and create an online account to use the calendar just pees me off.
    Later I switched on the Mac's Wifi, as I wanted check something back in OS X and the apps of course immediately found their way by themselves through Parallels to the internet.
    So far the only app I like is the calculator, but I was more interested in the structure of the OS.
    Found myself around very easy, device manger, command prompt, PowerShell, etc just like the former Windows 7 and all the normal Windows software utilities still seem to be there, very accessible

I suppose I am not Windows nutter enough to notice the great new nuances and hidden features.
    Just the apps and normal Windows environment under one hat as promised.
    It is OK, was initially very laggy, but after the second reboot seems smooth now.
    I think Windows lovers will appreciate it.

Really a shame I can't get USB to work and try out what software works or not.
    Parallels probably needs to be updated for 10 but it is strange because it works with every other exotic OS I have tried.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-10-14 at 09:07 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Banned

Thanks

For curiosity's sake also have downloaded, installed and run the "9841.0.140912-1613.FBL_RELEASE_CLIENTENTERPRISE_VOL_X64FRE_EN_US " ISO in VMware Player (settings: 4 GB Memory, 60 GB Disk space)

Performance seems to be good.

Nevertheless I'm not convinced at all. Windows 10 certainly is not a quantum leap. I'll stay with Windows 8.x and (never) will switch to Windows 10, except they will add oustanding features I currently don't know of yet.

Here some screenshots: (click on an image to enlarge it)

What I've noticed is that they bumped the kernel to 6.4.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 03-10-14 at 02:39 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

admin (03-10-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Thanks ssratus, that makes sense. Actually, jwoegerbauer, there, you are incorrect. Windows 2000, and windows Server 2003 were actually parallel products based on the Windows NT platform. For desktop windows systems it was actually in this order Windows 1 (hardly saw the light of day), 2 (first one readily available), 3 (first real "competitor" to mac), 95 (first integrated OS i.e. not sitting "on top" of DOS), 98 (better mouse trap and basic networking), ME (nuff sed), XP (move to the NT platform), Vista (an experiment that was marginally better than ME), 7 (best yet), and then 8 (need I say more). Which, if you count correctly means that the next iteration of windoze should, in fact, be Windoze 11.
    Toss in that Windows NT started at 3.1 (to avoid contractual arrangements with Novell) and it becomes even less clear as to what version we are really at. Heck, Windows 8.1 refers to itself as Windows 6.3 internally (Win 7 is 6.1).

Why did MS call Windows 95 Windows 95? Because the marketing dept thought that the pure numbering scheme was too confusing for the general public!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    I'll stay with Windows 8.x and (never) will switch to Windows 10, except they will add oustanding features I currently don't know of yet.
    even if they offer it to you for free?

Win10 appears to me more like an update of Win8.1 than an upgrade.

I can not see why anybody should pay for this if they already own Win8, just because they can now spread their apps over several desktops.
    Most win8 users who missed the start button would have already configured it's replacement.

Win10 is OK for those on Win7 and would like to venture into the app world more comfortably.
    I seriously doubt this will bring record profits for Microsoft.
    But yes, they still have a few months to create some magic …if you believe in it.

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    I can not see why anybody should pay for this if they already own Win8, just because they can now spread their apps over several desktops.
    I've implemeted this multiple-desktops feature in my Windows 8.1.2 installation with freeware , which allows me to have as many as 4 virtual desktops.
    Note: SysInternals is a Microsoft owned company. Thus it's not surprising Microsoft now added the multiple-desktops feature to Windows 10.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 03-10-14 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks

considering most average users flick between facebook, email & google
    i might as well build a pentium 2 & use xp
    the only advantage ive ever had since xp is the fact that video processing is faster
    & most of the time its just extracting compressed movies

do you really need a quad core with 8gb ram to read austech?
    Last edited by Philquad; 03-10-14 at 08:03 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (03-10-14)

LSemmens
    Thanks

I am currently playing with Linux on one machine but my wife's machine, which is only used as a video player/server is happy running XP. The Linux machine was my print server when running XP, if I can convince it to be stable, then maybe, my video server (W7) may also become Linux. Your point it valid, Philquad, if it does the job, why "upgrade"?

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast