Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

Default ABC to cut ABC2 and totally abandon local sport coverage

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Typical... cut programming but keep paying executives salaries.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

David071 (02-10-14)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

They are running out of things to cut.
    It wasn't that long ago we had a local 730 report, local weatherman, local drama.
    I don't care who is in power and makes changes to the abc budget but I firmly believe this.
    If you take an organisation like the ABC and constantly make budget cuts to it (in real terms) you end up with something that is simply beyond repair. It becomes so bad that people don't care if the budget for it is cut, because it is so bad anyway. Then the next argument will be that the government is running something that is performing/rating poorly, and advertising/part privatisation is required.
    The ABC will never be as great as it was because the media landscape has changed so much we can't afford to keep it running as it has been. Maybe sports, kids shows and premium content all needs to be on abc2 with ads there. Might be a case of the lesser evil - ads and more community sport or reruns of reruns.
    Last edited by mkhannah; 02-10-14 at 12:19 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

David071 (02-10-14),marty 17 (02-10-14)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Maybe they needed more of this

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Typical... cut programming but keep paying executives salaries.
    Spot on.

The ABC now have an annual budget of a whopping, wait for it, 1.22 Billion dollars.

Lets have a look at how much their budget cut is :

$200m over four years

Hmmmmm....

1.22 billion minus 50 million equals still tonnes of money.

And lets have a look at just how much money the taxpayer is paying some of these bums:

Says it all really. Pigs with their snouts in the trough that dont want to give up their swill.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Time was when "Auntie" was relevant and kept abreast of local and new content. Sadly she is a casualty of the "internet age". It would be great to see her continue as is, but, I suspect, that some of the content could easily be relegated to that great "cutting room floor in the sky".

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

admin you want to bring back TV home licenses of $120 per TV per multiple licenses if you have several in the household possible?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pheggie View Post
    admin you want to bring back TV home licenses of $120 per TV per multiple licenses if you have several in the household possible?
    No idea how or what this comment to do with the price of fish. Most likely nothing , but ...

Yeah, bring them back. No one would pay them, because the ABC doesnt provide balanced or quality programming. So they would then go broke. Great suggestion

The ABC is a tax payer funded organisation owned and funded by every Australian. 7, 9 and 10 are not.

Lateline Host Tony Jones - $355,789
    Mark Scott - $773,787
    Kim Dalton - $359,238
    Leigh Sales - $280,400
    Virginia Trioli - $235,664
    Juanita Phillips - $316,454
    Quentin Dempster - $291,505

Fark me, and you dont see an issue ?

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    The ABC is a tax payer funded organisation owned and funded by every Australian. 7, 9 and 10 are not.
    Not every Australian pays tax and in fact only half of Australian families pay tax so therefore they are not funding the ABC..

Welcome to the welfare nation: Half of Australia’s families pay no net tax.
    Source

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marty 17 View Post
    Not every Australian pays tax and in fact only half of Australian families pay tax so therefore they are not funding the ABC..

Welcome to the welfare nation: Half of Australia’s families pay no net tax.
    Source
    Obviously you havent heard of a little something called a Goods and Services Tax that we have had for the last 14 years. I am quite sure that the vast majority of Australia have bought something so they are in fact taxpayers.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Fuel, Grog, GST, Smokes, Rego, Rates, Stamp Duty, Capital Gains...... Fark Income Tax is the least of my worries.
    On ya marty

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (02-10-14)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

So what is the alternative if ABC did not pay these wages, possibly 7,9 & 10 would?. What is the comparable salary in the private sector? I don't know but if some one would like to look up and post it may turn out this is a reasonable salary structure
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    So what is the alternative if ABC did not pay these wages, possibly 7,9 & 10 would?. What is the comparable salary in the private sector? I don't know but if some one would like to look up and post it may turn out this is a reasonable salary structure
    7, 9 and 10 are private companies. You cant compare what they have to a government funded broadcaster. Either way, I doubt private companies would be posting up staff salaries.

The first thing the ABC needs to do is become a truly independent broadcaster. Even left leaning viewers are getting sick of watching the same programs every week with their panels stacked 75-95% with Labor, Greens and Left leaning organisations against (usually) a single right/conservative with a leftists stacked audience that they claim is "independant". It has become nothing more than a propaganda network which is very disappointing. Thats common knowledge.

The budget cut is so miniscule (50 million from 1.22 Billion) I cant work out what percentage it is of their budget ? Anyone good with numbers ?

$187,380 for a weekly 15 minute program.......shit I would spout left wing propaganda for that sort of money and hours.

Thanks

Im going to say 4.10% but im not too sure of the amount of zero's i worked with.

Either way its not really a lot in the scheme of things.

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    It has become nothing more than a propaganda network which is very disappointing. Thats common knowledge.
    "If" you would be prepared to create a "Level playing field" for both of us I would enjoy discussing this matter/topic further with you.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

Also have to be mindful that while the ABC budget has been cut, all their other expenses have risen. Now that fox have first pick of BBC material, aunty is even less appealing.

Thanks

You have to compare to 7,9 and 10 because the TV pool is small in this country. If you want good staff, you have to pay money. Commercial staff are paid far more. And as for the Australian, their salaries were posted - and it showed how highly paid they were for a paper losing money. And yes, we the tax payer pay as the loss is a writeoff for Murdoch thus reducing the tax he pays to the government. As a tax payer, I have a right.

In addition, what confuses the issue is that the ABC budget is not purely TV,. It is also Radio. To do a proper comparison, you need to add the operating costs of Ch9, Austereo, and several other more regional networks to start getting a better comparison. This all costs money. Costs go up. The cost of technology goes up. I know for a fact that the ABC only has 1 linking facility in Sydney whilst 7,9 and 10 have at least 3 vans. They have cut costs already.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viper5150
    Im going to say 4.10% but im not too sure of the amount of zero's i worked with.
    Thanks mate, the zeros scared me a bit About 4% would seem about right.

You cant compare a public broadcaster with a private broadcaster.

Claiming the taxpayer has a right to what private companies pay employees is drawing an extremely long bow...and not a realistic one unless you favour bringing in a communist government. Yes commerical staff are probably (I doubt you would find private company wages posted) paid more, but I dont pay their wages with my taxes. If channel 9 wants to run a leftist political agenda, thats fine, I dont care, they are a private company.

The ABC has been hit with a small (as we worked out about 4%) reduction in their annual budget. Almost any company would be able to work that in to their budget, yet it would seem the ABC wont - they simply refuse because they have a hierarchy that has basically been "baked on" for decades. They are never held accountable for anything and this must change. You only had to see their "Pepper Pig" scare campaign earlier in the year, they made it clear that rather than change anything at all in their structure, they would take it out on programming.

2 days ago, their was a protest by "ABC Supporters". Its speakers included presenter of Stateline in NSW, Quentin Dempster, who is listed with an annual total salary of $291,505 and Jonathon Holmes, $187,380 a year for a weekly 15 minute program.

Its hard to fathom that taxpayers can pay these 2......imagine getting nearly 300k a year just to host a program in one single state ?

Irrespective of anything I say, by paying everyone a fortune and turning the public broadcaster in to a leftist propaganda machine, the ABC is the one that is actually contributing to its own demise. Though I notice they have a new board member which has upset them a lot

Thanks

There is also a fair degree of politics on both sides - there was an interesting article the other day where it quoted that on a public relations campaign, whilst The ABC would garner public sympathy, they would suffer more as the government would pursue further cuts.

There are areas that cuts can be made but there are also areas where cuts can't becasue of long standing contracts (the broadcast agreement with Broadcast Australia done by The Howard Government when BA was privitised).

I agree that ABC and SBS should be merged. SBS no longer stands for what it should and is competeing with ABC for audience. The 4% cut is a simplified amount based on total budget, but once you remove pre-existing contracts with external providers, the amount will increase to between 8-10%. FYI - ABC already outsource their network playouts. If you then factor in rights increases in programming due to competition from Foxtel (rights fees are quite high factored across 3 channels) you can then see how quickly the numbers add up. I agree on the ridiculous salaries paid for the 2 mentioned. It should be pro-rata Although I didn't think Holmes still worked at ABC - didn't Paul Barry replace him????

Thanks

I still don't see why they need 4 channels.

2 channels maximum is enough

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast