Thread: solar option?

Banned
    Thanks

Default solar option?

Hi

I was thinking today of this idea.
    Look were my fridge power point is follow it up the wall into the roof turn off the power cut the wire disconnect from circuit correctly
    then run that 2.5mm twin and earth wire to a inverter with a battery back up and a solar panels on the roof and run the fridge for free
    is this ok >????
    I know electrical and electronics of course....

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Yep, the concept is fine

Executing it is a little harder than it sounds tho.
    You still need to have circuit protection.
    Your choice of Neutral and Earth will of course be different too.

Putting night time load items on a battery is a good idea.... But, check what you pay for power in the off-peak times? Is it worth it?

Before hacking into your fixed wiring, why don't you set up the concept with a extension lead first... See how how it all goes.

Essentially you could just drop the whole idea across your Switchboard just as Solar does... Kinda a Solar House with Grid assistance (when high loads are switched on)
    Solar does exactly the same now, its just you dont see it happening.
    So Solar with an inverter and some storage in the form of batteries... No Difference

Should you do that.... definitely not
    Last edited by ol' boy; 04-10-14 at 09:49 PM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

You will find that the cost of batteries compared to the money you save on the electricity bill does not pay out.
    When they tell you batteries last 10 years then only when you cycle them less than 30%.
    That basically means you need to buy for a fridge that uses 2kW/h a day, a battery bank of 600Ah at 12V, roughly $2000 + the panels + high surge current inverter.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Unless the OP lives in Cairns, you really have to wonder how much a fridge works at night anyway.
    I know mine doesn't run much at night... Not much of a saving i'd have thought.