Thread: Wanted

Thanks

Default Wanted

Wanted begins with a written prologue regarding a 1000 year old group of weavers who form an assassination organisation. Okay then, clearly we are not meant to be taking this story seriously! With this ground rule set, the film launches into an action offensive and, true to director Timur Bekmambetov's style, physical laws are sacrificed on the alter of outrageously fun entertainment. On this score, the film succeeds.

Tying an assassination group to a bunch of mediaeval weavers is a curious choice but it's clear where the story writer is going with it. The weavers' loom is an allegory for the weaving of the strands of time, an analogy of the way in which our lives are intricately woven together. This concept is not new. The idea was previously explored in the early 90's Loom, a LucasArts adventure game about a society of exiled weavers who discover that their revered loom is capable of influencing reality. In the context of the video game the idea works. The beauty and artisanship of the weavers' craft marries effortlessly with the magic and music which forms the core of the story; there's a natural synergy between these three artistic elements. Wanted's shotgun wedding between a group of fine craftsmen and a fraternity of brutal killers, on the other hand, is completely incongruous and therefore never believable.

But this is of minor consequence as the film never aspires to be anything more than an outrageous action flick. Any film which includes such impossible elements as bending bullet trajectories, feats of superhuman strength and agility, and coaxing the word "mother****er" from the lips of Morgan Freeman is clearly just having a bit of fun and not begging to be taken seriously. Even when the hero breaks the fourth wall and issues a verbal life challenge directly to the audience at the films end, it comes across as more cheeky than intentionally thought provoking. Admittedly, though, the movie does blow its load in its first half, the action being less spectacular in the second.

Bekmambetov is a much better visualist than a storyteller and it's fair to say that Wanted plays to his strengths. As a result, this film demands a large box of popcorn for maximum enjoyment.

7.5 out of 10

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

did you write this slick?
    or did you copy/paste
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slickstu View Post
    7.5 out of 10
    more like 5 out of 10

Waste of 750MB of download quota! 110 mins of boredom and 5 mins of Action. Would have been better as a TV series considering there was so much to know about the fraternity, then trying to educate the viewer for 3/4 of the movie before the action starts.

Thanks

^ That's what you get for stealing.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillTheQuad View Post
    did you write this slick?
    or did you copy/paste
    I wrote.

Thanks

Admittedly, though, the movie does blow its load in its first half,

Well Angelina got me ova the line darls!!
    Old Dog, No Flies

Thanks

Looks like we all are sharing the same ideas on this film, pure crap. and even "angies" performance did not do it for me, too many Mr & Mrs Smith familiarities for my liking. this whole bad ass female roles she seems to get whilst good is becoming a little repetitive, it almost puts me off her

I laughed at Slicks comment about Morgan freeman, lets be honest we all new it was coming it was so predictable bit of a shame really as he is a fine actor but i felt it to be unnecessary and done for shock value only

I also thought the lead role by whatever his name was , to be poor I just did not belief him portraying this role at all, seemed out of place to me.

the only scene that was interesting was the final shoot out.

Id say worth a watch but not a great film by any stretch of the imagination

which is such a shame as i am sure this will make money but seriously i would not be happy to pay for this, it lacked a consistent over all feel to the movie but goes to show you get two "A" grade actors put them in some drivel and car-ching money!!
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

i didnt mind it
    action was a bit overcooked
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

overcooked and burnt on the shooting of the dude in the limo lol

yeah didn't go much on it.
    if they when a bit more into the info on the bullets would of been good.

Thanks

Thought it was good escapist action movie.

I am a fan of Timur Bekmambetov's style in a couple of his other films Nochnoy dozor and Dnevnoy dozor (Night Watch and Day Watch). Good to see Anton (Konstantin Khabensky) from those films as the Russian "Exterminator" here.

An 8/10 from me even if the loom deciding fate (or is it the other way round) was OTT.