Thread: In window type A/C instalation query.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default In window type A/C instalation query.

After many years of resisting the idea but because I didnt enjoy a few days and nights of last Summer and there is a forecast that this Summer will be at least equally as hot and for maybe a longer period, I have been looking at one for cooling only to be either wall or window mounted.
    I would like a split unit but for a few reasons I wont go into now I have shelved that model.
    I looked at a Portable unit but on reading some reports on them, I felt the better value was for a window/wall type one.
    I have ceiling fans which have been great on most but the hottest days and in the past used those evaporative coolers but they do struggle when it gets too hot, even here.
    My question is the mounting as the ones I have seen appear to have a well ventilated outer pressed metal case that the A/C unit sits in.
    Does that come as part of the unit or sold separately as I have never seen them any where.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

the case comes with the ac

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

The wall type are very noisy and 'clunky' compared to split systems. They are also nowhere near as efficient as a split system.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Make sure the size of the unit is at least one size larger (output wise) than the area you hope to cool. We put one in our rumpus room (a converted garage) and it hardly works at all because it was designed to cover approx twice the area it needs to. Evaporative coolers work well in dry climates, but are not suited to tropical or sub tropical climes.

installation is simple. the steel case comes off the unit which makes it easier for fitment. Once the case is in place, you just slide the aircond into place. (Instructions will be in the box). The only criteria will be the location of a suitable power point.
    Last edited by lsemmens; 27-10-14 at 09:40 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have considered all options many times and as I said before, we rarely get more than 5 days and nights of excessive heat then generally even though the days stay hot, the nights are not too bad overall.
    Another advantage being at altitude is the humidity level is pretty moderate so we can use either A/C or the evaporative cooler types.
    Power is another factor as I dont have a 15A outlet and I dont want to add one as my meter board is old and as I understand it, any alterations that 'break' the seals, could require all the lighting circuits being replaced and a SMART meter installed.

Although the ceilings are insulated, the old fibro walls arent and it leaks air like a sieve,

When I did ask about a split unit some time ago, the minute I said the walls were lined inside and out with asbestos type fibro, the installer sorta didnt appear too thrilled about doing the job.

The contractor who installed the VAST stb said he 'wasnt allowed to drill or work on old fibro areas' so he ran the cable in conduit which avoided the fibro as much as possible.

Also because of the recent power outage we had (50 hours) through the snow storm this month is the reason I am not interested in reverse cycle units or any form of electrical heating.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!