Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnetic engine

Thanks

Default Magnetic engine

Here is a small product that I am currently working on , it's a 3d Printed magnetic piston engine (50.80 bore with 50.30 piston) with a 50mm rare earth magnet , atm it uses a 9.6 volt rechargeable drill battery to run . I have started on it's second stage which is a 3d printed generator that connects to the spline at the back of the unit . I'v had it connected to a Holden alternator running at 850 rpm hoping to improve on it soon , top speed without load so far has been just over 1000 rpm (used a jaycar rpm meter to measure ). comments appreciated

Last edited by south_oz; 01-11-14 at 06:59 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to south_oz For This Useful Post:

admin (02-11-14),allover (02-11-14),Godzilla (13-11-14),Tiny (02-11-14),weirdo (04-11-14)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quite interesting mate (with a brief look). Any particular use you made it for ?

Thanks

I after the generator section is competed and working , I'll be connected to an alternator an charging the battery pack that will be connected to either 1.5 or 2kw inverter , I'v had the engine running for over 72 hours on the battery before it died .. ONLY heat from the engine is in the coil section but it's kept down by cold air being forced through the cylinder .

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Good stuff. I am sure quite a few here will be very interested in how you go.

Great to see some genuine inventing

Thanks

thanks .. i have it only using power on the up stroke , downward motion is controlled by gravity and rotation , that all so stops the coil from over heating and makes it's power supply last longer

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I am I right in presuming when the piston reaches the top of the stroke, the circuit is broken to allow the piston to fall and then connected again at the bottom of the stroke to fire it up the bore again?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

yer thats right , I did at one stage have it both ways , attract and repel , but that caused the coils to over heat very quickly and drain the battery in no time flat , it also had a much undesired super bounce you could say , it was way more powerful than it is now (i would say about 3 times stronger ) but my goal isnt power out put of the overall engine , I just needed enough power output to run an external generator / alternator , with the way i have it set up at the moment it's more than capable of doing this , I do have a larger version of this engine with a 75mm bore already printed out but I'm not going any further with that model until I finish the generator section for the engine in the video , once I have done that I'm also going to try out my duel core coil an go for full max power on the larger engine
    Last edited by south_oz; 02-11-14 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks

printing out two new coil designs atm .. one of them is a duel core coil for both attract and the other half to repel on separate halves within the same case .. hoping to balance them out so to get rid of the sudden bounce on repelling off the rare earth magnet

Premium Member
    Thanks

Just a couple of simple questions that I didn't see asked as yet...

Was there any load on the alternator during the 800+rpm test and if so how did it compare to the input power?

Thanks

no sorry i didnt even think to put a load onto it , was just so wrapped at the time it run with the alternator connected

Premium Member
    Thanks

That 'bounce' is most likely just a timing issue. You'd need a short time delay to allow the piston to pass TDC/BDC before energising the appropriate coil which could be done in software with a crank position sensor as input. A hall sensor or two on the crankshaft?

Thanks

not using hall sensors at all it's all mechanical (all the parts are 3d printed ) , the bounce is because the repel action with the rare earth magnet . it is 3 times stronger than the attraction , because of when the piston is at bdc it has much more weight to attend to to attract up , when at tdc with the crank counter weight and flywheel in ration it way less torch push against ... and when i say it's 3 times stronger I have gone through about 6 pistons (haha the 50mm magnet went through 3 of them) , so it's not really a matter of timing it's matter of physical force being asserted down ward.

Premium Member
    Thanks

So a horizontal mounting might even those differences out?

How are you determining when to fire the coils?

Thanks

yer I always fire then off bdc/tdc (that is seen in the video) , yes I have had some more success with horizontal mounting and but then the metal rod get coming into contact with the coil ( yer i know i can made a work around for that) .. but I decided if I am gong to work like an engine it's going to look like one lol (old fashioned ). The coil (at this stage is just fired when a half circle is pushing against the contact switch) .. once again just a crude mechanical approach , when I get a balance in the engine I will then start looking at different firing mechanisms
    Last edited by south_oz; 04-11-14 at 07:24 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I'd probably be complicating the hell out of it

Just put a label on it 'half a boxer engine' to make horizontal the normal orientation . I also think you need to have a sufficient time gap after de-energising each coil for the field to collapse before energising the other coil and ideally that would amount to cutting off the attracting coil before dead centre and energising the other coil after dead centre which should reduce the 'bounce' considerably. The coils have ferromagnetic cores (I'll assume anyway) so the magnet would still be attracted to those cores at TDC even with the coils de-energised so you'll be wasting energy in order to break that undesirable attraction.

Thanks

no the coils are my own design an have NO magnetic material in them at all , in fact the only metal in the coil is the copper winding , all the rest of it is 3d printed with my own material , the magnetic field disperses in nano second

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I think skepticist may be on a good point there, rather than "half a boxer engine" what about making a full boxer engine with pistons horizontally opposed, it should smooth things out a bit without the need for a "dead" counterbalance. Heck, with a bit of effort, a full radial engine might actually be feasible and the true "free" energy magnetic might actually work.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

iwacelect (08-11-14)

Thanks

I'v already started on v 2 twin design , that uses full advantage of the coils (push and pull ) , but before I start weeks of printing (a lot of parts can take up to 18 hours at time to print) then you have to make modifications to the design , I'm going to test the coils with the current engine , I have looked at radial engines in the past but dismissed them for the mean time , one cylinder at a time is hard enough hahaha. you both have valid points , but i always finish what I start . I'v been told time an time again by experts that there is no way i could ever get this engine running what so ever never lone with such a week power source .. i have been told (by the experts once again) that I would need a powerful bipolar electromagnet using extreme power levels to move the piston just a few centimeters. If i cant settle the current problem of this engine by xmas then I will seriously look at the above suggestions (also the BIGGEST drew back is the filament cost a lot , then I have to reblend it with my own materials ) and every time I do this I have to ask the wife for the cash hahaha
    Last edited by south_oz; 04-11-14 at 11:04 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skepticist View Post
    Just a couple of simple questions that I didn't see asked as yet...

Was there any load on the alternator during the 800+rpm test and if so how did it compare to the input power?
    I asked that question in his other thread but it went unanswered

Thanks

Sorry watchdog , i thought I answered that question , no there wasnt , I was just so wrapped at the time that the engine was running while being connected to the alternator that I didnt even think of putting any kind load on it ... at this stage , I'm doing new coils (which should be finished mid next week) to put more power and torch into the engine , then I'll re test it with the alternator and put on a load (maybe lights , charge a battery something like that) and put up the video if successful , other wise it back to the drawing board and more modifications , that what makes this fun ... I cant predict what will happen until it happens

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast