Thread: Foxtel IQ and Issue of Sat V's Cable

Thanks

Default Foxtel IQ and Issue of Sat V's Cable

Ok, i have a client who has Foxtel. Legit & All pays for it, but where he lives it is called Foxtel Light. That is he gets a Satellite STB with a scart plug on the back. Pretty crappy service considering he pays the same as anyone else with a package that has an IQ box and HD content.

OK so he wants HD, but Foxtel tell him it is logistically not possible, the system wont recognise his request. I have checked out his building, Dish with Dual LNB, Multiswitch with V & H feeds. He has 2 feeds to his pad, one to a bed one to the lounge.

So in the pretend world, he could divert one feed to the other room , plug in a Sat STB IQ2 box and have a HD signal.
    Now from my knowledge of this he'd need a Sat box with a card matched to the box for this 2 work. As we have no access to this equipment we cannot even test our theory.

So this guy won't give up, he contacts me and says he can buy an IQ box on ebay. Sure this is probably the case, but it wont have a card.

So i ask those here who have knowledge or experience in this area, will his existing card work in this box if his account is active? This would at least get him a HDMI connected image.
    Is there any other solution for this quest? I seem to recall years ago that there was some 3rd party STB's that could read the card and supply the service to operate.
    So just a solution needed here, i don't want any PM's about dodgy pirate stuff or someone who knows a bloke who can help. Thanks just a straight answer if there is one.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,077 Times in 6,766 Posts

The cards are paired to the box.... they can't be used in any other box.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Bula (03-11-14)

Thanks

i reckon his only option is to get a digital modulator and transfer his signal as FTA digital signal and watch it that way.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bula View Post
    i reckon his only option is to get a digital modulator and transfer his signal as FTA digital signal and watch it that way.
    The problem is, he can't get all the channels with Foxtel Lite, so he needs the second LNB connection for an iQ decoder (and the decoder itself).

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

I think (correct me if I'm wrong ......) Foxtel light means he is only getting Horizontal signals from the sat dish ...... hence only some of the total Foxtel channels available .....?

If this is the case he may need a Foxtel Satellite dish & stand on the "balcony" with a Dual output LNB to his STB

However then his problem would still be convincing Foxtel to send him a Foxtel IQHD STB (maybe a self install STB from the Foxtel website)
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 03-11-14 at 11:34 AM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

Bula (03-11-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    The problem is, he can't get all the channels with Foxtel Lite, so he needs the second LNB connection for an iQ decoder (and the decoder itself).
    my solution, only allows him to watch what he has thru a digital channel, not an RCA cable. if he diverts the bedroom cable to the lounge he would have the dual LNB capability. Cable has been tested and it is a single run (not split) to each room from the multiswitch.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

misread the original posting, sorry.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 03-11-14 at 11:39 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

OK , just gave him some tips. I think the self install option might be his plan of attack to the beach house property. The Multi Switch at his pad / complex is an IKUSI MT 0304
    it has LNBA & TERR & LNB B outputs 1 & 2 go directly to his pad.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bula View Post
    my solution, only allows him to watch what he has thru a digital channel, not an RCA cable. if he diverts the bedroom cable to the lounge he would have the dual LNB capability. Cable has been tested and it is a single run (not split) to each room from the multiswitch.
    I understand what you are suggesting, but the video quality will be limited to what the box can output.

Eg: composite will still only be composite 576i whether it's connected directly or digitally-modulated.

Yes, connecting the second LNB outlet should provide both H & V signals for an iQ decoder... the problem rests with Foxtel supplying the box.

He can threaten to cancel his subscription... it often works, but they may also accept his request to cancel.

BTW, I have seen iQ boxes installed and configured for Foxtel Lite.

He should be able to get one by insisting he is provided with a decoder with HDMI out.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Bula (03-11-14)