Thread: Solution 862 panel dead?

Thanks

Default Solution 862 panel dead?

Hi, there. i installed an EDM Solution 862 system in 2002. The codepad has recently gone dead. No sound, no light, no response to any of the buttons. The rest of the system seems to be okay - sensors are flashing; when I removed one of the fuses the siren went off. I opened up the panel and checked out the codepad fuse but it seems fine. I opened up the back of the codepad but can't see any fuse. Is it possible that the codepad just died and how do I check? Can I get a replacement? I don't think this company (Electronics Design and Manufacturing, Huntingwood, NSW) exists anymore. I read somewhere it was taken over by Bosch. Would the new codepads works with the old system?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has knowledge of this system.

Look Here ->

Thanks

Could be the cable

Thanks

Take the codepad off the wall and check to make sure the copper wires are not touching each other. Also make sure clock (green) and data (yellow) are soldered to the correct wires. If that's fine, it must be that the codepad's old and had died. Newer Codepads will work with the system and available at most alarm dealers. The Bosch 8 Zone LCD ICP Keypad from cheapalarmparts.com.au is $125.

Thanks

That's a little simplistic. It could be that the cable has been damaged between the panel and the keypad. IE: rodents etc. the suggestion above will not determine this. If it's worked before, you can safely say the keypad is connected correctly unless someone has played with it.

Banned
    Thanks

In 16 years of doing alarms I have only ever had 2 codepads fail & both of those were from lightning strikes resulting in lots of black plastic & scalped ICs with brains exposed. If only the rest of the system was as reliable as the codepad (not that I'd call it unreliable). If its dead then there is no power. How did you check the fuse & have you got the MM out ?

Thanks

Thank you all for the prompt replies. Sometimes you just need another brain. For some reason, I never considered the cable. I put the multimeter across the codepad terminals in the panel, and there was power. But there was no power from the cables at the codepad end. I confirmed this by removing the codepad and putting the codepad cables directly on to the codepad terminals on the panel and the codepad responded. Looks like a trip into the ceiling space to repair/replace the cable.

Sometimes you just need someone else who's not too close to the problem. Once again, thank you all.

Cheers.