Thread: Felon & Book Review..

Thanks

Default Felon & Book Review..

Dont want to be a post whore..

But a film I enjoyed was felon, a very powerful film about brutality in the US jail system covering both mental and the physical torment and injustice

I like Val Kilmer, and again he did not let me down with his performance I think he hit the spot with his mentoring role and lone wolf portrayal of a "Lifer" in the system.

I do not know who the other actor was but his role was really well done and I sympathised with his plight right from the beginning which starts out as a hard working guy that kills a man whilst protecting his family and hence see's him up on murder chargers

without spoiling too much of the film, one of the other aspects I thought was worth a mention was the perspective of his wife and what she goes through during this period it was not over done I felt it to be well balanced and I would imagine to be what might actually happen in that situation

Also the karma aspect from the evil prison guard was a nice touch whether deliberately done or not I found it to be off note as during the film you see this guy go from preachy nice guy with regards to violence especially early when he speaks to his son about bullies to a total nut case when he deals with inmates

anyway enough said, Def worth a watch...

Book Review...

Mark Seymore 13 tonne Theory... recalls the journey of Hunters and Collectors.

I enjoyed the book, he is very articulate and well educated and this is very prevalent through out the book. With books its hard to know how much is actually the author some times but this felt real to me.

The stories of some of the things that happened during the bands early days and the "larikin" aspect of all members made for an enjoyable journey into the Australian rock world, two things that struck me was they drink a lot and the endless travelling that was done - I doubt I would have lasted that long.

I very much enjoyed the tale of the UK recording contract and subsequent Indian restaurant debacle I found myself saying - Yeah I'd believe that and in a strange way went on ya blokes for being Australian and saying it how it is

another tale to mention was how he met his wife all very simple and without being too ocker very Australian I guess I enjoyed it perhaps more than some as I did a trip up the east coast recently and allot of the towns he mentioned I stayed at, so it made it seem even more real to me mind you most of this takes place in the late 80's early 90's so ummm

The only thing i thought that was lacking was an ending, sure the book ends but I felt it happened all to quick and without resolution (as perhaps intended) I am not sure what I was hoping for in the "ending" but that was the only part I went hmmmm a little more would have been better..

anyway worth a read if your into Australian bands, early Melbourne culture, touring overseas and trying to battle uphill with record companies all the while as members try and bid for attention whilst maintaining there "collective" decision making process
    Last edited by z1gg33; 04-08-08 at 10:24 AM. Reason: edit: spelling mistake made me bonkers!!
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

hmmm i thought our Movie and Album Discussion/Reviewer was slickstu ?

Thanks

and an excellent one at that I always enjoy reading his reviews... not trying to compete as he would blow me out the water... just like to express an opinion on films/books/games as i like entertainment! i hope nobody minds
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

We can't let Stu shoulder all the burden, thanks Z1g33, enjoyed the review, in particular the Hunters book.

Thanks

Well done, Z1gg33. There hasn't been much discussion round these parts for a few years (whatever happened to Feitaceira anyway?) so the "competition" is welcome.

I haven't heard of Felon. A straight to video job, perhaps?

The Mark Seymour book sounds pretty cool. I'm a big Split Enz/Crowded House fan which over the years has led me to a few Hunters gigs seeing as how there's sibling link between the bands. I've read a couple of Enz/Crowdies biographies which were quite interesting also.

Thanks

Felon is a limited release and will be on DVD soon.

It gets a good rating on IMDB too, although this is not always a good guide. User Rating: 7.9/10 (2,454 votes)