Thread: Advice on DSC 1565 Alarm system

Thanks

Default Advice on DSC 1565 Alarm system

Hi. I recently purchased an investment property and it has a DSC 1565 alarm system installed. The previous owners do not know the master code, so I thought I would power up the system and see what happens. Unfortunately the system did not power up, so the electrician checked the battery and it was dead. I replaced the battery but still no power. I rang the security company and all they could say was that they were still receiving a signal even though the phone line is inactive. The smoke detectors are working and I checked the wires, so any suggestions as to what I might need to do to get it working before I call a technician.

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

If it is still reporting and the smoke detectors are still working then obviously it is getting power from somewhere. The DSC panels need to be powered up on battery BEFORE the plugpack

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    The DSC panels need to be powered up on battery BEFORE the plugpack
    Was that only for the 1565. I have installed a few 1864 and never heard of that. Or maybe I just always did battery first without even knowing I was....

Thanks

Thanks for your responses. I'm a bit perplexed as the battery is fully charged and I connected it as per installation manual but the panel still didn't power up.

Banned
    Thanks

The plugpack could not reliably supply the required startup current and the panel could end up in a confused state (like the codepad not lighting up). Not every time mind you , but often enough to be an issue. It is mentioned in the manual.
    So poppy , what is NOT powering up?

Thanks

The plugpack could not reliably supply the required startup current and the panel could end up in a confused state (like the codepad not lighting up). Not every time mind you , but often enough to be an issue. It is mentioned in the manual.
    So poppy , what is NOT powering up?
    The LCD panel is not lighting up, so Im assuming its not getting any current.

Thanks

How do you know your smokys are workin? Are they the ac type with outputs? How are they wired. 2/4 wired??? How on earth can they get a signal if the phone is inactive??? (Prolly wrong mon code) get your meter out and start probing!

Thanks

The indicator light on detector is on and I tested the alarm. I also a found an active wire on transformer was not properly connected. It powered up, I pressed *8 plus 5555 to cancel any memory and set the alarm off. I had to turn off power and disconnect battery to silence it. I now need to work out how to test the system to see if its been locked out. I still do not have answer as to why the smoke detector is working and the security company is getting a signal. On problem solved a few more to ponder. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to then next installment.

Banned
    Thanks

*8 - 5555 would be used to access programming with default installer code. The fact that you set the alarm off means you entered it a number of times & the installer code is NOT 5555. There is a codepad kill command (used for non payers) & from memory I think it is *0. What you REALLY need to have is the installer code and master/user code or you really need to pay & get it checked out properly

Thanks

If it is still reporting and the smoke detectors are still working then obviously it is getting power from somewhere. The DSC panels need to be powered up on battery BEFORE the plugpack
    Not necessarily.

The monitoring operator may have been confused and seen lots of 'late to test' alerts on the system which were generated due to the system not reporting in (because it's off, there's no phoneline etc).

These are not actually 'alarms' per se as they are generated by the monitoring automation software. However from an operator's point of view they do look and behave the same way as alarms.

The smoke detectors may also have their own built-in battery.