Thread: No Country For Old Men

Thanks

Default No Country For Old Men

This was a real surprize to me. I really liked this film, Tommy Lee had amazing dialog, the psycho was truely well portrayed. if you want to see a true psycho role in all its glory played to perfection this is the movie for you.

Worth a watch

8/10

Look Here ->
    Thanks

This is a serious, violent, intelligent, character driven, high tension movie. Superbly acted and beautifully filmed. You have to watch it, if you have a short attention span or hate violence you may not like it. It's not an action movie nor does it have a Hollywood happy ending. With the story going some quite unexpected paths I found it a very enjoyable movie. It should win many awards, much better than Atonement. 9/10.

Thanks

SPOILERS.

I may as well raise my hand right up front and confess that I didn't like the ending. I get the whole "evil triumphs over good" thing and how Bell laments his perceived weariness and helplessness in defeating an evermore insidious evil and is ultimately compelled to lay down his guns and give up the good fight. I just don't think it was a point well made. It's like the film is missing the full stop on the final sentence. There isn't even a "............" at the end. The film just trundles to an aimless halt mid-senten

I think the problem is that the film IS about Chigurh and Moss regardless of whether the Coens intended that or not, and I don't think it works to just turn the film on it's head at the end and proclaim that the focus was actually Bell. I have no problem with them doing that per se, but I don't think they pulled it off. To me it felt like the movie finished when Moss was killed (because that was the story) and I had trouble getting a bead on where the story was going after that. In the end it just petered out.

Having said that, everything which precedes the films coda is a marvelous piece of cinematic eloquence (though in the beginning I thought they should have called this The Dead Dog Movie as there's more canine casualties here than on the Milo And Otis shoot ). The service station sequence (as mentioned by others) is brilliant in its understated menace and this is due to Bardem's chilling performance from an excellent script. His ridiculous hairdo merely underlines his formidability - who's tough enough to tell him he looks silly? And his hulking silenced shottie is way cool. Tommy Lee Jones feels like he's channeling Michael Parks which is no bad thing and Brolin is good also. And it's always great to see Kelly Macdonald though her accent completely threw me until I saw her name in the credits.

Despite my misgivings with the ending, this is still worth.....

8 out of 10

Thanks

I have heard that the film closely follows the book and ends the same, word for word, as the book.

Thanks

The starting and ending dialogues by Ed Tom Bell bookend the whole film.

SPOILER ALERT but probably worth a read even before seeing the movie...

This is Tommy Lee Jone's opening dialogue:

Ed Tom Bell: I always liked to hear about the oldtimers. Never missed a chance to do so. Nigger Hoskins over in Bastrop County knowed everbody's phone number off by heart. You can't help but compare yourself gainst the oldtimers. Can't help but wonder how they would've operated these times. There was this boy I sent to the gas chamber at Huntsville here a while back. My arrest and my testimony. He killed a fourteen-year-old girl. Papers said it was a crime of passion but he told me there wasn't any passion to it. Told me that he'd been planning to kill somebody for about as long as he could remember. Said that if they turned him out he'd do it again. Said he knew he was going to hell. Be there in about fifteen minutes. I don't know what to make of that. I surely don't. The crime you see now, it's hard to even take its measure. It's not that I'm afraid of it. I always knew you had to be willing to die to even do this job - not to be glorious. But I don't want to push my chips forward and go out and meet something I don't understand. You can say it's my job to fight it, but I don't know what it is anymore. More than that, I don't want to know. A man would have to put his soul at hazard. He would have to say, "O.K., I'll be part of this world."

And this is the end

[last lines]
    Loretta Bell: How'd you sleep?
    Ed Tom Bell: I don't know. Had dreams.
    Loretta Bell: Well you got time for 'em now. Anythin' interesting?
    Ed Tom Bell: They always is to the party concerned.
    Loretta Bell: Ed Tom, I'll be polite.
    Ed Tom Bell: Alright then. Two of 'em. Both had my father in 'em . It's peculiar. I'm older now then he ever was by twenty years. So in a sense he's the younger man. Anyway, first one I don't remember to well but it was about meeting him in town somewhere, he's gonna give me some money. I think I lost it. The second one, it was like we was both back in older times and I was on horseback goin' through the mountains of a night. Goin' through this pass in the mountains. It was cold and there was snow on the ground and he rode past me and kept on goin'. Never said nothin' goin' by. He just rode on past... and he had his blanket wrapped around him and his head down and when he rode past I seen he was carryin' fire in a horn the way people used to do and I could see the horn from the light inside of it. 'Bout the color of the moon. And in the dream I knew that he was goin' on ahead and he was fixin' to make a fire somewhere out there in all that dark and all that cold, and I knew that whenever I got there he would be there. And then I woke up.

Thanks

one of the better movies this year 8/10 ending is crap