Thread: Window/Wall A/C 'Cage?'

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Window/Wall A/C 'Cage?'

I am in the process of having a window/wall type R/C A/C fitted into a standard timber framed wall and I was wondering about a 'Cage' or Mesh frame I have seen on some.
    I remember reading years ago this 'cage' serves the dual purpose of providing some support to the A/C unit as well as security to prevent the A/C unit being removed/stolen from the outside which leave a great hole in the wall for entry to the premises.
    Where I propose to mount the A/C unit will be at least 10 feet off the ground outside due to the slope of the land so 'security' is not a big issue but why not use it if its there?
    My Windows are the old narrow open out types so I cant instal the A/C there so a 'hole in the wall' is the next option.
    I am guessing from various postings there are some Austech members who are either installers or are familiar with this type of installation so I am asking where do you get this 'cage' from, are they premade? cost and does it have a name ?

Because it will be on the west facing wall, I will need to have to have an awning to shade it from the Sun but thats another issue to contend with.

The A/C unit is actually 660mm wide, 480mm high by 750 deep so the cage would need to be slightly larger internally to fit over the A/C.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Typically the frame is mounted to the wall and then the air cond unit is installed in the frame from the inside, the chances of anyone removing said unit from outside are fairly remote.

Premium Member

Thanks

Thats exactly the 'cage' I was thinking of, the big question is of course like that TV advert of years ago, 'Where do you get it?'

I did a 'Google' and found a Youtube site, mostly US and one South Australian company that makes larger cages for those split units but none for my size, so who makes them if anybody?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Not sure if I'm the only one, but I have no idea what you are talking about?

Do you want an external protective cover, like they have over units they feel will get stolen or smashed?

Or are you talking about the actually frame cassette the AC slits into?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member

Thanks

Oceanboy, this is a separate cage made of angle iron and mesh and as Isemmes says bolts to the wall and fits externally OVER the existing A/C frame or cover and as you say, its a protective cover, with or without an awning/sunshade if on the exposed side of a wall.
    You can often see them on A/C units installed on transportable sheds, telephone exchange huts etc to both protect the unit from damage as well as theft as many, like the Window ones just simply slide in the window opening and are held in place only by the closing down of the upper sash frame.

LSemmens
    Thanks

You've misunderstood me the frame to which I refer is as OceanBoy describes. Note that the bit left behind is the fame cassette, which can be fixed to the wall any way that is suitable.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well, you've answered your own question Gordon.
    You find them on transportable sheds :-)
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member

Thanks

That video is NOT the cage I am talking about at all.
    It seems all Window/wall A/C come in this manner with the actual working parts sitting in a pressed metal cover to protect the 'workings' and by releasing or removing some screws, the bare works can be slid out of this case.
    As I said earlier, the cages I have seen are made of light angle iron with all sides made of a stiff mesh, say 50mm and the cage is attached to the outer wall and the WHOLE A/C is slid into it.
    One cage I saw over the door or our local exchange hut has brackets from the top to give support to the weight of the unit and as I said earlier, the manufacturer recommends an awning or something suitable to deflect the direct sunlight if the unit is on the 'Hot side' of the house which this will be.

LSemmens
    Thanks

If all you are looking at doing is supporting the thing, a couple of shelf brackets will do that!. Heck, the last one I installed is still supported by fencing wire!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

The 'cages' you described are typically fabricated from concreting reo, either by handymen or metal/engineering fabricators.

I have never seen them marketed as an individual product.

Perhaps try asking some aircon installers where to obtain them.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

the outer metal case that the unit slides into comes with the AC as part of it
    This outer case normally is support enough if mounted properly to the frame. Some of the bigger models might require extra support brackets.
    The outer security frames I've seen have always been custom made type of things.
    Honestly wouldn't bother gordon

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

weirdo,

I think Gordon understands that the metal casing comes with the unit... but he's after an 'additional' mesh cage that goes over the included casing, which we've suggested is more of a custom made thing.

I agree, I wouldn't bother either.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Perhaps it says more about where gordon lives?

Thanks

Hi Gordon,

Is this the type of thing to which you refer?

I see these in the housing estates that I service (this one is next door to me*).

Don't know where they are manufactured, I would imagine the contracting installers do it.
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Premium Member

Thanks

This is the type of cage I was thinking of but NOT for security reasons but for structural support and to allow an awning/sunshade to be placed over it as it will be on the western wall of the house in the full hot afternoon Sun in Summer as per the manufacturers installation instructions.
    This side in winter also cops the full force of the cold and strong winds during winter so while it must be well ventilated to work efficiently I was just looking to protect it as much as possible from the elements.

I know this one looks a bit like overkill in structure but the A/C I have is nearly 700mm wide by 500 mm high by 700mm deep and weighs in at 63kg according the book and if mounted in a timber frame wall requires either an upper or under support due to the 'overhang' outside the wall and with an awning attached, it needs to be reasonably solidly built.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 14-12-14 at 04:42 PM.