Thread: issue: Austar mystar HD box question

Thanks

Default issue: Austar mystar HD box question

hi guys,

i have an austar standard box, works without an issue,

i also have an austar mystar HD box, but only some channels work when the cable is plugged into LNB1.

i only have 1 cable going from the satellite to the HD box because im renovating, and atm have no use for the 2nd cable..

all the channels on the mystar HD box worked fine until a few months ago, and now some channels eg 111 hits dont work.. the cable was plugged into LNB1
    but when the cable is plugged into LNB2, all the channels work..

i called austar/foxtel, and they are sending out a technician, but informed me there will be a $75 fee if the issue is not the box..

so i just wanted to know if anyone has a mystar HD box, and have all channels working on LNB1 when they only have 1 cable connected.

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

The Mystar require BOTH cables to be connected to work properly due to the dual tuners working independently so you need separate LNB connections so that horizontal and vertical polarity signals can be tuned independently.

The issue is not the box, but the failure of not connecting the second LNB cable... so they will charge you for the visit.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

You cannot operate 2 boxes on one single LNB without them fighting each other......some channels run on Vertical polarity and some run on Horizontal.

Plug the 2 cables in to your box.

Edit : Bah, beaten

Thanks

sorry i didnt make it clear.

the standard box works when its plugged in...
    then i disconnect it.. i dont use that box atm because im renovating, and dont have a 2nd tv to use it on (yes i know im paying for it)

then i connect the mystar HD box using LNB1, and only some channels work.
    so i disconnect the cable from LNB1 and connect it to LNB 2, and all the channels work.

i dont need 2 tv tuners on the mystar HD box atm because i dont record 1 channel while watching another channel. i know that part.

my issue is that only having 1 cable plugged into mystar HD worked via LNB1 input for ages, and then all of a sudden it stopped working, but works normally when plugged into LNB2.
    btw that cable is going straight to the satellite dish.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I am trying not to 'muddy the waters' as I dont have a Mystar but I have 3 SD types on the one dish and that requires an electronic multiswitch between the Dual LNB and the Tuners or they cannot receive all channels at the same time due to the switching voltage conflict.
    This should be the same as you have but with the Mystar counting as 2 standard STB's, so whats happened, is one tuner on the Mystar defective but that cant be because it works ok on the other cable so is there a problem with the multiswitch or has a cable been disturbed/damaged during the renovations?

Your comment that the 'Cable that works runs DIRECT to the LNB' has me confused as where does the other cable go?

I always thought that both the IQ and Mystar needed to be connected to both cables at all times whether you were recording or not but then I dont know if one tuner is dedicated to the recording side and the other one to viewing or not.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 14-12-14 at 04:21 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Your comment that the 'Cable that works runs DIRECT to the LNB' has me confused as where does the other cable go?
    i have 1 tv at the moment and therefore only 1 RG6 cable going from the satellite dishes LNB DIRECTLY to the mystar HD box

the cable is brand new, with new compression fittings. no issue with the cable or its connections as it works perfect on the standard austar box when i plugged it in for troubleshooting purposes, and also works perfect when i connect it to LNB2 of the mystar HD box. BUT when the SAME cable is disconnected from LNB2, and plugged into LNB1, i only get a few channels that work.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I always thought that both the IQ and Mystar needed to be connected to both cables at all times whether you were recording or not but then I dont know if one tuner is dedicated to the recording side and the other one to viewing or not.
    the mystar HD box worked perfect using 1 cable for months and months, but all of a sudden i stopped getting all channels so it doesnt need the 2 to be plugged in, in order to receive all channels (as i have stated it works fine when only 1 cable is plugged into LNB2)

the tuners work independent in order to record 1 show, and watch another show, or possible record 2 different shows on at the same time.

i am trying to figure out if my box is defective before the austar tech support comes...
    Last edited by melton2; 14-12-14 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by melton2 View Post
    sorry i didnt make it clear.
    It was perfectly clear to me.

On that basis the myStar could be faulty on LNB 1, so the tech should be able to prove that pretty quickly.

The obvious thing is to leave it on LNB2 for the moment.
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

• The Following User Says Thank You to Antennaman For This Useful Post:

melton2 (15-12-14)

Thanks

A antennaman says leave it in lnb 2. LNB 1 only will drop some channels, but funnily not the vert channels. The decoder is not faulty.
    See that fault a bit lately

• The Following User Says Thank You to custom For This Useful Post:

melton2 (15-12-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by custom View Post
    A antennaman says leave it in lnb 2. LNB 1 only will drop some channels, but funnily not the vert channels. The decoder is not faulty.
    See that fault a bit lately

thanks antennaman and custom.

ill cancel the austar service man and wait till i have 2 rg6 cables going into the box before i make my next move.

thanks.

• The Following User Says Thank You to melton2 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (15-12-14)