Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Foxtel iQ3 launch Feb 2015

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I think I'll stick with the IQ2...

Thanks for that.

Still; after reading thru many threads & posts linked to on that article & progressing thru to the IQ3 forum ; on there, it appears as quoted below, a number of boxes got sent without the latest software code & they are the only real problems I can see apart from the remote having issues & a very vocal minority nit picking about the little things they don't like about the UI.
    Foxtel appear to be working hard to keep the customers happy, however some are hard to please. (I'll be one of the later if mine stuffs up, wife will not tolerate poor performance & neither will I).

Some Fox forum members that have been replying to comments have said they have no real issues & like the box.

When my IQ3 finally arrives, before I activate it I'll contact Foxtel & use the fact that the box may be unreliable, to get them to leave my POS MyStar box active as multiroom, (worth $25/m for HD) free of charge, so I can duplicate my recordings & have a back up for important live events until the iQ3 proves reliable. Believe me being more reliable than a MyStar HD shouldn't be difficult.

BTW: I found in my research that if the iQ3 BT remote is giving you problems, just use universal or a standard iQ1 or 2 remote until the issue is resolved. The issue is most likely BT (Bluetooth) RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) issues.

I've reproduced the following quote in full as it may be helpful to others who read this thread, to save them the time it took me sifting thru the ramblings of idiots on the Foxtel forum for some useful info.

Having an issue with your Foxtel iQ3?

We’ve noticed some Foxtel iQ3s snuck through our system without the latest software on it and this could be causing you some technical issues. For those that have the latest software, it is still important to do a Full System Reset as this will clear out any gremlins in the box.

There's a few simple steps to follow to make sure your iQ3 is set up and optimised to get the best out of your Foxtel viewing. Start at Step 1 and work your way through in order:

Step 1:
    Step 2:
    Step 3:
    Step 4:
    Step 5: (only needed for a Satellite iQ3).
    Let's start....

Step 1: How to check your software version

Select Home
    Scroll right to Settings and select it.
    Scroll down to Advanced Settings and select it
    Select System Details and it will be listed here

Your current software version should display 1.7.6.46 (as of 26/03/15).
    If your current version is up to date, please proceed to Step 2.
    If you don't have the current version, please send or a Private Message with your.

• Name
    • Address
    • Foxtel Account Number
    • iQ3 smartcard

We will then organise for your iQ3 to receive a software update.

Please note: the software update will interrupt your viewing/recording for approximately 15 minutes.

Once this is complete, next we recommend, that you complete a Full System Reset, here's how...

Step 2: Full System Reset

Please Note: By proceeding with a Full System Reset, this will erase all recordings, series links, internet settings, bluetooth connectivity & your free to air channels, this will set the iQ3 back to a factory standard.

Select Home
    Scroll right to Settings and select it.
    Scroll down to Advanced Settings and select it
    On the remote press 0 6 1 1 and then Select and Installer Setup will display, if it doesn't keep repeating this step, you might just need to go a little faster.
    Select Installer Setup
    Select Full System Reset
    Enter the pin number 1234 and the set top unit will reset.

Once completed and your Foxtel iQ3 has come back on, we need to pair your Bluetooth remote, Connect the Foxtel iQ3 to the internet and scan in your Free To Air (FTA) Channels. Please note: It may take up to 10 minutes for the program infomation to populate in your TV Guide.

Let's start by pairing your Bluetooth remote...

Step 3: Bluetooth pairing your iQ3 remote

Bring your remote to the front of the iQ3 until the front of the box lights up.
    Press any button on your remote until the blue light starts to flash.
    The iQ3 will light up when it connects with your remote. Once the lights on the iQ3 and remote stop flashing, you’re set.

Need more help? Watch the video below.

Step 4: Connecting your iQ3 to the internet

To get the most out of your iQ3 features, connect your Ethernet lead from your internet access point to the back of the iQ3, or connect to WiFi by following these steps:

Select Home on your iQ3 remote, then arrow right and select Settings.
    Select Internet Connection.
    Select WiFi.
    Select your network.
    Enter your WiFi password, select Done and you will be advised once connected.

If you noticed that the spinning wheel doesn't stop/disappear or the message comes up "unable to connect", press back and retry entering your details again.

Find it easier to watch a video? Check this out...

Last but not least, let's add FTA Channel's to your Foxtel iQ3

Step 5: Scanning your Free To Air Channels (Satallite customers only)

To receive your free-to-air channels off your TV aerial, check you’ve connected your iQ3 to your aerial wall plate, then:

Select Home, arrow right and select Settings.
    Select Terrestrial Channels from Settings.
    Select Quick Scan.
    Select Begin Scan.
    Once the scan is complete, select View TV Guide.

Finding the video's helpful? Here's one last one to explain adding your Free To Air channels.

And now you're ready to go... Enjoy the Foxtel iQ3.

Source:

As I've said before, when I have tested it, I will give an honest opinion,trust me; I'm an idiot.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (01-04-15),RedXT (02-04-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Still waiting for my box so thought I'd have a bit of a look around.

For anyone interested in previewing the user interface of the iQ3, I found the following independent videos. quite interesting.
    They are both the cable version, however the UI should be the same, from what I can tell.

Long unboxing & setup.

Short scroll thru UI & settings.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (05-04-15),OSIRUS (02-04-15)

Thanks

This explain's why we aren't receiving the boxes.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to levend For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (05-04-15),OSIRUS (05-04-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by levend View Post
    Possibly or it's just stuck in the Australia Post system.

Foxtel are certainly copping a hiding over this roll out.
    It appears they didn't get the latest software on board every device issued & didn't fully brief the technical support on how to properly set up the box & check for the latest software.

They also have some UI & HDMI CEC (HDMI Consumer Electronics Control - A control function that lets one A/V component control another if they are connected via HDMI cables.) problems that need sorting to make it user friendly with all systems & customers.

The one bug that will really annoy me & my missus, that can't be fixed immediately is a design glitch in the UI that does not indicate in the Library/Planner whether or not a program has been viewed, although they acknowledge this is a design fault & will be addressed by the design team in a future update, it is hard to believe that none of the 2000 beta testers noticed this in 6 months of testing???

While I would have no problems being a Beta tester for Foxtel, it looks like when the box finally arrives we become official Alpha Testers for the iQ3 without pay.
    I'm definitely keeping my old MyStarHD active as a primary box until I feel confident enough in the iQ3 for it to go it alone.

Despite all the turmoil there are actually customers that are happy with the new box; so I will reserve judgement until I can first hand test the box on my system.

The good thing is they have opened up a user feedback forum to take suggestions on UI experience & preferences.

A slew of complaints by Foxtel customers over the launch of its delayed iQ3 set top box were caused by boxes being sent out with outdated software or being installed incorrectly, either by contractors or remotely by call centre staff.

The pay-TV giant insists it has now tightened up its software and training process and is offering to send out installers for free to customers experiencing ongoing problems.

Foxtel's Facebook page lit up with angry complaints from customers after it launched the box on March 24, a day before the local launch of US subscription video-on-demand service Netflix, which is seen as a potential threat to Foxtel's 2.6 million customer base
    Foxtel customers pay $125 for the box plus $25 for postage and handling or $75 for delivery and installation. The box is manufactured by UK-listed company Pace.

Foxtel's errors have led to complaints about issues including: recordings of shows disappearing, the box resetting itself at random times and the remote control only working intermittently.

Foxtel says some 30 per cent of boxes installed in the first two days were affected. Tens of thousands of the boxes have been installed in subscribers' homes in the past two weeks.

Mike Ivanchenko, Foxtel's director of product, told Fairfax Media it was "ludicrous" to suggest the company had hurried the launch in order to beat Netflix to the market, explaining it had tested the box in 2000 homes for the past six months.

"We have been planning and working on the iQ3 for a very long time – it's five years since its inception so the idea that you then rush it at the end of that is ludicrous," he said.
    After an initial peak in complaints in the first few days, calls had "reduced dramatically", he said.
    "With the complexity of a platform of this type you are going to get initial teething problems," he said. "The key is how quickly we sort them out and deal with them, and we are, and if people are still having issues we will come and fix them."
    The company has about 2000 installers, employed by contracting companies BSA and Downer EDI.
    Foxtel, which is owned by News Corp and Telstra, faces a particular challenge in cleaning up badly activated boxes. While it can send software updates to iQ3 over the air, if a box has been activated incorrectly in the Foxtel system in the first place, it needs to take extra technical steps to resolve the problem.
    Source;
    Last edited by Tiny; 05-04-15 at 04:49 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (05-04-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by levend View Post
    Have you received yours as yet?

I just spoke to someone in Foxtel Accounts & they had no record of me ordering the IQ3 on the 23/3/15.
    I remember the girl I spoke to said she was having a problem with her system & had to put me on hold for a minute or so, then she came back & said the order had been placed.

So I reordered it today, wait & see if this one turns up??
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (09-04-15),OSIRUS (09-04-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    the girl I spoke to said she was having a problem with her system
    Isn't that the standard line with every call centre, ever!
    Code for "I'm having my coffee", "I really don't care", "Just let me scratch my hoo ha"
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (09-04-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Check out Foxtel Go if you get the chance it looks a bit like the interface of the IQ3 ......

I'm quite enjoying it ...... Live channels ..... Anytime (featured, TV shows, Movies, Channels, A-Z all on demand Content) Picture Quality looks good on a 24 inch PC monitor,

Foxtel Go is free with your subscription, (& you get content that you subscribe to) but I think may better than Foxtel Presto .....
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (09-04-15)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Everything is 'FREE' so long as you have subscribed to the channels already but whats NOT Free is the downloads via the Internet as you still have to pay your ISP for that.
    The other problem is you need to be connected to the Internet by ADSL2 as well which still is only a dream in many areas.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (09-04-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

That is all true Gordon .....

I don't know what Internet speed will make Foxtel Go watchable/unwatchable (it is said to be only an SD service) ..... I have 3.5mbs ... & its OK ..... (& I have read that some Netflix customers can still watch Netfllix @ about 1.5mbs ... ?)

I guess if you can't watch Foxtel Go (on your PC) you would not be able to watch the internet streaming services on the IQ3 either (like Anytime ...etc ) ?

Premium Member

Thanks

l would guess most mobile wireless connections would be suitable (forget satellite) but the killer is the much higher download costs compered to ADSL .
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Everything is 'FREE' so long as you have subscribed to the channels already but whats NOT Free is the downloads via the Internet as you still have to pay your ISP for that.
    The other problem is you need to be connected to the Internet by ADSL2 as well which still is only a dream in many areas.
    Gordon, where you say the downloads via the internet is not free, with foxtel GO, if you are using it around your house, the download is unmetered. This from the Telstra site
    "but Foxtel Go is metered on 3G/4G services, un metered on fixed broadband however."
    I think this was what you meant by not free for downloads.
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

Premium Member

Thanks

You could clarify this if you can about any Data charges if your not a Telstra Bigpond customer as I feel others like Optus, Dodo, iiNet etc would charge you to access those sites as they are not 'affiliated' with them as Telstra is being a Foxtel partner.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

You are right Gordon, all data downloaded by an iQ3 box, via the internet connection, will count toward Data Usage on all ISP's except Telstra & Foxtel broadband packages - bundled deals.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member
    Thanks

I think you would be right. If your provider did not resell Foxtel with their broadband package, you would be using up your data to access Foxtel Go. When I use Foxtel Go on my Iphone or Ipad away from home, an hour program burns about 400mb's of data. As I'm a Telstra customer, if I use Foxtel Go at home on my ADSL, the data is unmetered. How they do this I don't know.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yes Tiny, anything downloaded by the IQ would burn data, but I thought the last few replies related to the Foxtel Go. I know the thread related to the IQ though.

Premium Member

Thanks

Keith, your quite correct about this was dealing with the new IQ stb, but these other side matters are still relevant because of what use would it be to have the new IQ at a higher cost if you are restricted from using all its capabilities that are being used as an incentive to get one?

Thanks

I just spoke to someone in Foxtel Accounts & they had no record of me ordering the IQ3 on the 23/3/15.
    I remember the girl I spoke to said she was having a problem with her system & had to put me on hold for a minute or so, then she came back & said the order had been placed.

Nope but yest i got sms saying that it's on it's way with aust post.

• The Following User Says Thank You to levend For This Useful Post:

Tiny (11-04-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Gordon, where you say the downloads via the internet is not free, with foxtel GO, if you are using it around your house, the download is unmetered. This from the Telstra site
    "but Foxtel Go is metered on 3G/4G services, un metered on fixed broadband however."
    I think this was what you meant by not free for downloads.
    Only if your a telstra foxtel sub you get unmetered other isps aren't.
    I think if your a foxtel broadband sub it's the same unmetered.

Thanks

Got mine yest afternoon. It was easy to setup although activation was wait 30 minutes before i spoke to someone.
    Once had it running i enjoyed the look and feel of it all, overall easy to use and recorded 2 shows at the same time while downloading and watching a show from the store.
    Bugs are there and lady told me so but they will be addressing them as they can (said that they are lot's of them lol )
    Only bugs i have found so far is when switching channel's a channel will come up all black no sound, Move to next channel and it kicks of again go back and channel that was missing reappears.
    Second one every now again while surfing channel's i get not receiving satellite channel doesn't matter if it's a fox channel or free to air. Pressing the back button and again moving channel fixes it.
    The internet side of t works really well unlike 1q2 where people were having problem's with error network not connected this worked without problem's.
    Overall i'm happy with it so far plus the credit i got from them paid for it so that was a plus!

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to levend For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (14-04-15),OSIRUS (14-04-15),Tiny (14-04-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Just a quick suggestion about using Data with your iQ3 or IPTV or Streaming devices

The faster your Internet connection speed the more data you will use as a general rule ...... (as a guide I have about 3.5mbs & I have never used more than 150GB per month .... very heavy usage ... with multiple internet using devices)

Bundle and Save with your ISP, the more you bundle the more you save (e.g Home Phone, Internet, Foxtel ...Mobiles ..... etc)

bundling also saves on your Phone calls ....if you get National calls & local calls & Mobile phone calls all included .... but that depends on the plan you select..? & what suits your needs

keep in mind that some ISP's offer some internet services that are un-metered toward your Data allowance ......

The first month monitor your Internet usage using your ISP's monitoring tools ..... (to check you are on the right plan)

Once you know how much Data your Household uses each month ..... under very heavy usage conditions .... (check that your Data Allowance limit is not close to what you actually use ...... otherwise you could get surprised)

I have personally now got a Data allowance of 1TB & only use on average less than 100GB per month, so I do not even care if I get un-metered usage or not .... & I never worry or think abut exceeding my data allowance limit any more (using multiple IPTV stb's & Pcs etc ...)

However all will depend on your own personal situation I guess

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

Tiny (14-04-15)

• Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast