Thread: Any experts on low-voltage LED spa lighting?

Thanks

Default Any experts on low-voltage LED spa lighting?

Hi guys

I recently purchased some LED cabinet lights for my spa (online) and having some issues. They are 5 volt colour-changing LED's and before installing them in the cabinet, I have powered them up but they only light up for around 1 second. Each item has a maximum power rating of 0.6 watt and has three LED's in it. For those not familiar, the colours change by toggling the power on then off quickly.

Here is the item:

For the power source test, I've used a USB plugged into my PC and also a USB power adapter. Would they be drawing too much power and this is why they don't stay on? Looking at the date-stamp on the item, it seems they were manufactured in 2010 so is there a possibility that they are 'too old' and faulty?

Note:
    The vendor is refusing to refund stating "Once electrical parts are powered up we are unable to take a return on them".

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks

Do they work with the specified power supply/controller combination?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Firstly, if they eventually prove to be faulty, that crap by the Vendor claiming that once their powered up voids any return is like when I took a set of printer cartridges back as faulty and the moronic salesman said it 'was a pity I had opened the packet', like how the hell could I tell they were faulty UNTIL you try to use them???
    I take it they light up briefly each time you connect them to a power source but then go out, if so to me that says the LED's are ok but maybe a capacitor (if any) in the circuit is breaking down?

LED'S as far as I understand them are no different basically to an incandescent globe with a filament, you apply the correct current/voltage and they light up and stay lit until either they fail or the power is removed.

You dont say what Voltage/Current is marked on the strip because the 5v 500 mA from the computer/charger may not be enough to run the strip properly.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

AussieM8 (18-12-14)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AussieM8 View Post
    Note:
    The vendor is refusing to refund stating "Once electrical parts are powered up we are unable to take a return on them".

They dont seem to know their own policy.

Its actually : "Any electrical or electronic part that shows signs of having been used or fitted in any way."

You obviously havent fitted them, and staying lit for less than a second does not consitute use in anyones book, let alone the ACCC's.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

AussieM8 (18-12-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skepticist View Post
    Do they work with the specified power supply/controller combination?
    I initially plugged them into my spa wiring (using an existing connector from one of the other LED's) and they started flashing. This is why I was concerned they were faulty and tested with the USB power as I knew it was 5v as well.. I plan to get back into the spa cabinet tomorrow to check the voltage with a multimeter but I suspect it will be 5v as well.

Thanks

Agree completely Admin

The email I received also suggested that I may be at fault if I powered them up at an incorrect voltage, so I suspect they will be trying to get out of it from that angle as well. I'm sure it will be 5v but proving this may be difficult to an online store ... I guess I can video my multimeter reading

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Firstly, if they eventually prove to be faulty, that crap by the Vendor claiming that once their powered up voids any return is like when I took a set of printer cartridges back as faulty and the moronic salesman said it 'was a pity I had opened the packet', like how the hell could I tell they were faulty UNTIL you try to use them???
    I take it they light up briefly each time you connect them to a power source but then go out, if so to me that says the LED's are ok but maybe a capacitor (if any) in the circuit is breaking down?

LED'S as far as I understand them are no different basically to an incandescent globe with a filament, you apply the correct current/voltage and they light up and stay lit until either they fail or the power is removed.

You dont say what Voltage/Current is marked on the strip because the 5v 500 mA from the computer/charger may not be enough to run the strip properly.

Thanks Gordon.

They are 5v - see photo:

Does this mean that the current would be 120mA (0.6W/5v)? If so, then a USB should power it OK

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

excuse my maths but wouldnt that 0.6 watts equal about the usual 500 mA which I think is the power output of the USB port and most chargers?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Really not sure mate, that's why I started this thread.

I'm going to get back into the spa wiring today and test the actual voltage, etc.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

excuse my maths but wouldnt that 0.6 watts equal about the usual 500 mA which I think is the power output of the USB port and most chargers?
    No.

W = EI therefore I = W/E

0.6/5 = .125(A) or 125(mA) as the OP has calculated correctly.

That being so, an USB supply is more than adequate to power the device. However, there is "pulsing" and there is "flashing".

It is common practice when wishing to produce increased light output form LED's, to feed them with high current "pulses". This has the effect of increased LED brightness but with a low average current drain. Peak current will vary depending on the duty cycle (on-of ratio of pulses).

It is possible that the LED lights which the OP has purchased, utilise this technique and this is upsetting the USB supply.

My advice is to power them from the correct source as mentioned by Skepticist in his post #2.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

AussieM8 (18-12-14)

Banned
    Thanks

There is no excuse for that sort of maths

• The Following User Says Thank You to watchdog For This Useful Post:

iwacelect (21-12-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    My advice is to power them from the correct source as mentioned by Skepticist in his post #2.
    OK, I powered them up using the spa. I also attached my multimeter to the spa light circuit and it's showing a constant voltage of close to 5v (4.93v to be exact).

As I mentioned before, the colour-change is effected by turning them off and on quickly. The existing spa lights cycle through 5 or 6 colours, followed by a gradual colour change and then a flashing colour-change. When I connect the new ones, they act differently than when I connect to USB 5v. The LED's don't fire on any of the single colours, but start to flash/flicker when on white and the steady colour change.

Does this behaviour line up with your theory that the purchased LED's are looking for a pulsing current whereas my spa has a steady 5v?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 862 Posts

Each light uses 120mA, so four of them are at the maximum of the USB standard.
    You said they worked on your USB supply, so did you check the voltage when connected to the spa?
    I assume the lights overload the power supply and won't get enough juice to function properly.
    Also I have a great problem understanding the concept of the color change - are you saying every time you switch them on it changes?
    A color changing LED is under 3 bucks, suitable resistor(s) are worth peanuts...
    No idea why the charge you so much for the plastic around it
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Premium Member
    Thanks

I'd think the only way to be certain that they are faulty is to test them with the actual power supply specified for them as there could be some means of control sourced from that supply. I wouldn't expect all the units you purchased to be identically faulty, one perhaps but not all.

They're mighty expensive as previously stated for RGB LEDs. I can get 300 of them for $20 so all the value must lie in the plastic case with these units

• The Following User Says Thank You to Skepticist For This Useful Post:

tristen (19-12-14)

Thanks

I'd think the only way to be certain that they are faulty is to test them with the actual power supply specified for them as there could be some means of control sourced from that supply. I wouldn't expect all the units you purchased to be identically faulty, one perhaps but not all.
    Yeah, I now don't think they are faulty ... I'd say they are just not compatible with the LED lighting controller on my spa. To test this theory, I thought I might go to a spa shop and try them in another brand to see if they work there. I suspect they will unfortunately.

They're mighty expensive as previously stated for RGB LEDs. I can get 300 of them for $20 so all the value must lie in the plastic case with these units
    Yeah, they seem to charge a premium for all spa accessories .. eg. for a single pop-up speaker where the parts would be lucky to be $20, you are looking at $150-$200
    Last edited by AussieM8; 18-12-14 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Downunder35m View Post
    Each light uses 120mA, so four of them are at the maximum of the USB standard.
    I was only trying one of them with a USB, so it's well within the USB power limits.

Also I have a great problem understanding the concept of the color change - are you saying every time you switch them on it changes?
    Yep, that's correct. As I understand it, each LED has it's own chip so remembers the colour it was set to. If you turn them off and on (quickly), this cycles through the colours. If you turn them off and on slowly, it comes back on at the colour it was set at previously.

A color changing LED is under 3 bucks, suitable resistor(s) are worth peanuts...No idea why the charge you so much for the plastic around it
    Totally agree ... If they won't take a return, I think I'll just use the plastic enclosures and buy some standard LED's to replace the ones it came with !!

Premium Member

Thanks

...Does this behaviour line up with your theory that the purchased LED's are looking for a pulsing current whereas my spa has a steady 5v?
    Without further relevant information all is conjecture at this point.

Can you point us to a specification sheet for:

1/. The new LED lights.

2/. The recommended controller for the new LED lights.

3/. The existing spa lights.

4/. The existing controller.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Skepticist (19-12-14)

Thanks

Unfortunately, I don't have any of that information Tristen

I'll just have to put this down to experience and in future, not assume that all spa lighting is compatible.

Premium Member

Thanks

Unfortunately, I don't have any of that information Tristen
    Thanks AussieM8.

I have had a look for specifications for the LED light you have bought, but was unsuccessful.

The first rule for successful faultfinding is, proceed from the known to the unknown.

Unfortunately, at this stage, we don't have enough relevant information to enable us to proceed further.

I'll just have to put this down to experience and in future, not assume that all spa lighting is compatible.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by tristen; 20-12-14 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks

Thought I would report back ... I contacted the manufacturer (in China) and they have been amazing. They ended up sending me two replacement lights (paying all costs, including DHL delivery) and they work perfectly.

Looks like the ones I ordered originally must have been a bad batch