Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezer Possibly on the Blink

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Default Freezer Possibly on the Blink

This morning I noticed our Westinghouse 5 year old Freezer (model FJ 362V-L) is not as cold as it should be (ICE Cream melting, so on , so on). The Freezer is a Frost Free fan forced model. Now the Compressor is running, I cannot test the thermostat but as you can see the compressor is running and if I set the Temp setting to minimum to test the thermostat the compressor is still running (not cold enough to cut out at min temp)
    What could be the problem? The Fan is working OK, the Compressor is running, Has the Gas escaped? What else could it be.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks

not a expert on them

check the cooling fins are clean would suspect low on gas

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,078 Times in 3,349 Posts

IF you lose any food due to spoilage, you may be eligible for an insurance claim.

Thanks

Empty the freezer , pull it out from the wall , tilt if back at 45 deg and clean the cooling fins under the unit , Vacuum them and brush the build up away . You should do this with all fridge freezers that do not have exposed coils on the back every 2 years.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashore For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (27-12-14),ol' boy (25-12-14)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Put a cup of water in the freezer and if it doesnt freeze withing a reasonable time then obviously you have a problem.
    With a combined Fridge Freezer, a serviceman told me that with one unit that wasnt working correctly was because the freezer compartment had begun to leak gas and it was believed that something like Ice cream had spilt on it and caused corrosion as the metal was very thin where the tubes ran.
    Like everything else today, getting someone to fix it and can it be fixed or do you bite the bullet and replace it?

One time I saw a few at the local tip from a Refrigerator repair business that holes cut into the back possibly chasing leaks but they ended up being dumped anyway.
    I saw on a show how they assemble these and it showed once the inner and outer case and the cooling pipes were assembled, they then filled the cavity with spray foam.
    So unless its the compressor failing which can be replaced (at what cost?) chasing a pipe leak is a major job.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (26-12-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 1,537 Posts

Common fault this time of year, you have a faulty defrost sensor, usually found behind the panel inside the freezer, when these fail the heater runs a constant low heat resulting in freezer not freezing properly, its a cheap part will set you back $20

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (26-12-14)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    IF you lose any food due to spoilage, you may be eligible for an insurance claim.
    Yes. We lost approx $300 worth to the bin. The Freezer was a 360ltr now that's a lot of frozen meat and other to lose. our large Willie Bin is 75% full of rotting meat. Now that's a Great Xmax present for us isn't it. Couldn't it had died a few days earlier.
    Yes the wife is contacting the Insurance Company.
    Today shopping Boxing day madness (delivered tomorrow) we purchased a LG as much as I hate LG Side by side Fridge/Freezer 670 ltr ) linear Compressor (10 year Warranty on compressor)with the ICE maker out the front with all the bells and whistle's yes we need the Whistles (set buzzer if door is left open) as my son has a habit of leaving the Fridge and Freezer door slightly open even when I gave both a fall so the doors close automatically. Boxing day Madness!! NEVER EVER NEVER EVER AGAIN will I shop on Boxing day Madness because the Xmas spirit leaves people and most become mad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Common fault this time of year, you have a faulty defrost sensor, usually found behind the panel inside the freezer, when these fail the heater runs a constant low heat resulting in freezer not freezing properly, its a cheap part will set you back $20

The dead Westinghouse Freezer is in Immaculate condition and needs to tbe repaired and we might keep it for a second freezer.
    I am a retired Sparkie and have worked on many fridges and Freezer replacing seals thermostats and other but never worked on a Frost Free one.

So let me get this straight. Inside the Fridge box hiding somewhere behind that plastic cover that goes from the thermostat to the light then goes to the back with slots half way down the length of the back of the fridge lives this defrost sensor
    that controls a heater element that is staying on thus not allowing the freezer to freeze. Is this correct?
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 26-12-14 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post

So let me get this straight. Inside the Fridge box hiding somewhere behind that plastic cover that goes from the thermostat to the light then goes to the back with slots half way down the length of the back of the fridge lives this defrost sensor
    that controls a heater element that is staying on thus not allowing the freezer to freeze. Is this correct?
    That is correct

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (26-12-14)

Thanks

That is correct
    For testing purposes to prove its not a compressor problem or a gas leak can I disconnect one leg of the heater, re assemble the plastic cover assembly, fire up the freezer and test that it can get to minus 10 degree C.
    I have digital hand held device that can read from minus 30 to plus 100 Deg C

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ashore View Post
    Empty the freezer , pull it out from the wall , tilt if back at 45 deg and clean the cooling fins under the unit , Vacuum them and brush the build up away . You should do this with all fridge freezers that do not have exposed coils on the back every 2 years.

I service both fridge and freezer every September front and rear. If I remember correctly only the Fridge has the cooling fins underneath. With the Freezer all is hidden in the side of the unit and is hard to get at.

Thanks

I'm after the service manual for the Westinghouse Freezer model FJ 362V-L but I have had no luck yet. tried Jordans Manual, and Schematics.me and I'm very surprised that Schematics.m does not have it under Westinghouse. Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 27-12-14 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks

Found some diagrams and spares at the Big Shithouse and normally I would not touch this mob for spares as they are friggin robbers.

Thanks

Not what you after but worth a look

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

I'm after the service manual for the Westinghouse Freezer model FJ 362V-L but I have had no luck yet. tried Jordans Manual, and Schematics.me and I'm very surprised that Schematics.m does not have it under Westinghouse. Any help appreciated.

westinghouse are made by electrolux.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mango For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (30-12-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Yes. We lost approx $300 worth to the bin. The Freezer was a 360ltr now that's a lot of frozen meat and other to lose. our large Willie Bin is 75% full of rotting meat. Now that's a Great Xmax present for us isn't it.
    Could have shown some Christmas spirit to the animals and taken it to your local rspca
    I'm sure the woofers and meowers would have loved some quality shit for a change

Thanks

Not what you after but worth a look
    Yes thanks that's what I found. Have d/loaded the pics and will try to buy the part elsewhere as this big shit house mob are robbers and will only lower myself to buy anything there if I can't get it elsewhere.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    Could have shown some Christmas spirit to the animals and taken it to your local rspca
    I'm sure the woofers and meowers would have loved some quality shit for a change
    Good point and a waste of good food down the drain. Not to worry, I will fix the old Freezer if its cost effective and have a backup.

Tell me guys what do you think is a good Freezer Temp. Our new Fridge Freezer temp (Digital display) for the freezer range is -14 to -24 Deg C. Default is -18. WOW that's cold. What do you think what should be a good temp needed plus the right temp to save on power wastage ('EG" the colder you run it the more waste of electricity).

Thanks

Freezer should be -15c or colder. Long term freezing should be -18c or lower.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 29-12-14 at 07:24 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (30-12-14)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,078 Times in 3,349 Posts

You'll find that the (If I read you correctly) water/ice dispenser on the front of the machine is bloody useful. We have one and can't believe how we ever lived without it. Saves space in the Fridge/Freezer with cool water/ice always on tap it makes it so much easier getting a cold drink. A few comments, from experience, though, the cold water is only cool (but much cooler than tap water) and the ice, if you use it a lot, sometimes does run out. Be aware, though, occasionally the ice dispenser does get a little confused and doesn't dispense ice. (you've go to actually unblock the dispenser, ice gets caught in it.)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast