Thread: Garmin Nuvi 65lmt adding maps nightmare!

Thanks

Default Garmin Nuvi 65lmt adding maps nightmare!

G'day

I have recently purchased a Nuvi 65lmt, thinking this was going to be a good unit for my approaching trip to Europe and the US. Bought in Aus it comes with the Aus map included, that works fine, Problems started when I tried to install maps on either the main storage or an micro SD card. This has never been an issue on any other Garmin unit I have had, Zumo's GPSmap 62-62s and all the maps work fine in Basecamp.

After tearing my hair out I found Tiny's thread on the subject and followed it but still no success. I have tried the following.
    Renaming map images to all the different versions of gmapp.... etc.
    Using the full map name.
    Putting them in system, or Garmin, or Maps or SD card Garmin or Maps etc.
    Using map install on base camp, which says all maps are good to be installed.

I Only had one success with a topo map of the Eastern US, not really helpful.

Can any one please shed some light on my problem?

Cheers
    Crunch

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Unfortunately, Garmin have managed to secure most of the latest release Nuvi's so nothing but genuine purchased maps with unlock code will work.

Any maps that have been unlocked & pirated will not work.

So you will have to purchase the overseas Maps on cards from Garmin or a supplier with a genuine unlock code & load them as necessary.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Gday
    Thanks for the help Tiny, by chance you happen to know how far back to go in the model line to make life easy? Basically to the point of being able to use it as i wish and not be locked out?

cheers
    Crunch

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

AFAIK, 2014 models onward are locked up.

2013 & before should be OK, having said that there is nothing to stop Garmin doing this to all GPS with a firmware update.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks

Default 2014 models

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    AFAIK, 2014 models onward are locked up.

2013 & before should be OK, having said that there is nothing to stop Garmin doing this to all GPS with a firmware update.
    G'day Tiny

Well then looks like I'm going to have to buy another map of what i already paid for a few years ago. Previous gps dead and buried.

Thank you for the help, I should be able to get some sleep tonight......

Cheers
    Crunch

Thanks

@crunchie69
    Google or Bing search for 'gpspower Garmin Image Unlock gimgunlock up to v.0.03+MapSigPatch'. Look there for 'THE LATEST' with Map Sig patch. Hint: That'd be in post #256. It won't work for the NTU map which is usually OEM for localised European units, you must use the NT [i.e. non-Unicode] map version so JCV files won't work but at least the map will.
    Last edited by Surething; 17-01-15 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks

G'day
    Well
    Got a nuvi 2597, Happy days works fine, Easy!
    Now... JCV for Europe and USA additions.... im guessing this work on images??
    Thanks for the help!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crunchie69 View Post
    G'day
    Well
    Got a nuvi 2597, Happy days works fine, Easy!
    Now... JCV for Europe and USA additions.... im guessing this work on images??
    Thanks for the help!
    Great, happy it worked out for you with the 2597.

The JCV files will work if they are the correct ones for the image.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

If by 'im guessing this will work on images??' you're asking if the associated JCV files will work with images, the answer's yes provided you match the correct *.jcv with the specific detail map as Tiny said. Your nuvi 65 and 2597 use different jcv files, they aren't interchangeable between those units and the correct EU map for them both is the Unicode version. For your 2597 look for D3048170A.JCV for EUU 2015.30 map, if using the 65 look for D3589140A.JCV. The NA/USA map however doesn't have a Unicode version, same non-U type as AU so just match the larger sized split-screen 212*234 pixel picture size jcv with 2597, and the much smaller one with the 65.

For the 2597's ASR to work with the EU-Unicode map you'll need the second generation of ASR/SRX files specific to the detail map of course. 2nd Gen files are commonly referred to as 'ASR2' files and are suitable for all 2xxx/3xxx nuvis and you'll also have set your locale to any EU nation when you arrive there [via a hard reset or clear nonvol, so back up your user favourites if you want to restore them when you get back home]. The GTM36 traffic receiver bundled with it won't work in EU except for the rather scungy free TMCs available. Ditto no workee for NA. I know how to add full EU & NA traffic gratis but cannot help in open forum here with that sorry.
    Last edited by Surething; 17-01-15 at 06:58 PM.

Thanks

Gday Surething and Tiny
    Now im confused...
    The JCV files, if im right i will need 3 in total, the origianl aus map, one for Europe and one for USA?
    The map images on the card how do i get the files to add to the JCV folder?

Or am i off track and when the map is read by the system the JCV file/folder for those maps is actualy in the image??
    But i think im just happy it runs now, if no jcv view works i think i can cope... hopefully.
    Ill sit and ponder a while before have another crack and regrow some hair!

Thanks for all the advice

Crunch

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Your 2597 will already have a folder called JCV with the current Au JCV file in it, this will be updated every time you do a live update of the the AU map.
    For your Europe & USA maps you will need the JCV files that were issued with those maps.

If you do have those JCV files (or can find them) for the EU & US maps then; assuming they are on an SD card, you will need to add a folder named Garmin to the root of the card then create inside the Garmin folder another folder named JCV with the appropriate JCV file for the map in it.

For the JCV file in SD card; correct path is Garmin/JCV/your jcv file
    On nuvi 2597; .System/JCV/your jcv file.
    Every new map has a new jcv file.

EDIT:The Map .img files do not contain the JCV info & you do not need the JCV files for those maps to work, it will just mean no junction view picture.
    Last edited by Tiny; 18-01-15 at 10:22 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny