Hand musician Gerry Phillips hopes for Aussie tour
Article from: Sunday Herald Sun

Stephen Drill

January 20, 2008 12:00am

THE "hand musician", star of a quirky national television campaign, wants to leave his US gun shop and tour Australia - where he has found fame.

Gerry Phillips, 47, who plays songs with his hands in advertisements for Dunlop Volley sport shoes wants to turn his talent into a full-time job.

"I've wanted to do this all my life. I've tried for years, but no one ever took it seriously," Mr Phillips said.

Song 1: Gerry Phillips plays Aha's 1985 hit Take on Me

Song 2: Gerry Phillips plays Europe's 1986 hit The Final Countdown with his hands.

Song 3: Gerry Phillips plays Queen's anthem Bohemian Rhapsody.

The American, who plays "perfect pitch" by rubbing his hands together, found fame as an online sensation.

He has tours of England and Ireland booked for next month.

Mr Phillips said he received emails almost every day with job offers and was hopeful of getting a gig Down Under.

His ultimate dream would be to record versions of the 75 songs he can play on his hands in collaboration with their original artists.

The Michigan gun shop owner, who sells pistols and AK-47 assault rifles by day, uploads videos filmed in his home studio to internet site YouTube at night.

His songs, including versions of Guns 'N' Roses' Sweet Child of Mine, the Super Mario Brothers computer game theme and

AC/DC's You Shook Me All Night Long, has been viewed more than 7.5 million times.

But his popularity has been hard work - he has been playing his hands for 38 years and practises three hours a day.

His first performance was at his high school recital in 1975. Danny Grant of Melbourne's Loud Promotions said he would consider bringing Mr Phillips to Australia.

"He'd be really popular with the younger kids, but we would have to find someone to match him with," he said.

Mr Grant has signed a deal this week to promote controversial teenage party boy Corey Worthington.

Dunlop Volley spokeswoman Amy Kendall said Mr Phillips was one of a kind and the advertisement had generated a buzz of interest.

"He has an amazing talent and has definitely made us laugh," she said.